Husky 254 thoughts and opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some but not all, differences between 254 and 262 would be 254 has smaller fuel tank and shorter top handle,smaller muffler, 2 shoe clutch vs 3 shoe on 262. Also a smaller top cover and different air filter setup. The 254 is close to a pound lighter even though they share the same basic case. As an example,the 254 cylinder weighs a little over an ounce less,the top hande weighs an ounce less,the muffler is over an ounce less,etc. An couple ounces here and there adds up pretty quick.

Inside the muffler is only 3 3/16 holes for the gasses to pass threw so a MM helps a lot.

Some but not all, differences between 254 and 262 would be 254 has smaller fuel tank and shorter top handle,smaller muffler, 2 shoe clutch vs 3 shoe on 262. Also a smaller top cover and different air filter setup. The 254 is close to a pound lighter even though they share the same basic case. As an example,the 254 cylinder weighs a little over an ounce less,the top hande weighs an ounce less,the muffler is over an ounce less,etc. An couple ounces here and there adds up pretty quick.

Great post.

Thank you for your input sir.

I know very little about the real differences between these saws. When I started really getting into saws, the 2 series were starting to get scarce......at least around here.

I love 254's! This is a fun chassis and real easy to work on. How they are related gets confusing sometimes because they seem more different than they are. Especially the 254 which really feels smaller than the other two. It is lighter, and in addition to the muffler, it also shares a top handle with the 55.

The 254 actually shares a lot more parts with the 257 than it does with the 262. 254/257 use the same fuel tank and mount set up. 262 tank isn't really bigger, but is set up for the 288 rear mounts, and has a unique front mount set up. I've posted this before, but some 262's get a bit of a flimsy feel to them due to those rear mounts. Likely because there is no top mount connected to the cylinder as on newer saws. They often feel like you need to tighten something up. Replacing them with the rubber 288 mounts stiffens them up nice. Little more vibes, but not too bad. 254/257 also share most of the intake stuff: filter holder, filter, intake block and gaskets.

All 3 saws use the same crankcase. What's different is the 254 has it's own crank, (which is NLA), and the 257 and 262 use the same crank. Speaking of NLA, more parts will be finding their way onto that list in the not too distant future. 262 and 257 top ends are NLA. (257 within the last 2 months) Less than ten 254 top ends remain, so be mighty careful when grinding on these things.

Aftermarket options are limited. Tilton had a nice Tecomec kit for the 254, but that's NLA also. There's some Asian 262 stuff out there, some good; some junk. I tried a Mako 262 kit on a 257 and it seems pretty decent. (cylinder markings indicate it was made by "star-gry") But they have been on backorder for several months, and who knows if the next batch of them will be from the same source. There is another brand which I won't mention, (but is well known), that is garbage. One member tried one and the squish measured .070. LOL This aftermarket stuff is just SO inconsistent.

Another great post. :rock:

All I know for sure is that I love the 2 series Huskys. I NEED another 242XP. I let Wiggs talk me right outta my last one. :laugh:

Another great post. :rock:

All I know for sure is that I love the 2 series Huskys. I NEED another 242XP. I let Wiggs talk me right outta my last one. :laugh:

I won't let anyone talk me out of any of mine. :guitar:

Do they end up much beyond the 15,500 stock RPM after a trip to the Mastermind spa? ;)

BTW, 242 is another saw for which OEM top ends are NLA. But the Tecomec ones are still available.

All 3 saws use the same crankcase. What's different is the 254 has it's own crank, (which is NLA), and the 257 and 262 use the same crank. Speaking of NLA, more parts will be finding their way onto that list in the not too distant future. 262 and 257 top ends are NLA. (257 within the last 2 months) Less than ten 254 top ends remain, so be mighty careful when grinding on these things
According Husqvarna Norway the 254 crankshaft have got a new number, 506 18 23 03.
And there should be around 8 262 cyl&pist in stock in Norway.
Even I bought one new oem 262 cyl&piston on ebay, I know where some of my summer vacation money will go :D

Not quite the same as a 257/261/262. The 254 has a different crank which is dedicated to the 254 only with a different stroke. Different muffler too for the shorter stroke. The muffler is shared with the 51 and 55

The stroke is the same 34 mm on them all, but the con rod is shorter on the 154/254 crank. The result of that and some other differenses is a somewhat more compact saw (lower), even though they belong to the same "family".

Also remember that the first saw in the "family" was the 154, then it went 254, 262xp, 254xp, 257 and 261. The last one to go out of production was the 262xph (a very special version for the Russian market) - but the regular 262xp also was made up to 2005/-6 or so, for some markets (Russia and Israel, that I know of).

Latest posts

Back