Husky 254 thoughts and opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some but not all, differences between 254 and 262 would be 254 has smaller fuel tank and shorter top handle,smaller muffler, 2 shoe clutch vs 3 shoe on 262. Also a smaller top cover and different air filter setup. The 254 is close to a pound lighter even though they share the same basic case. As an example,the 254 cylinder weighs a little over an ounce less,the top hande weighs an ounce less,the muffler is over an ounce less,etc. An couple ounces here and there adds up pretty quick.

Also, the 254s made before some time in 1992 or so didn't have air injection.

They began to prepare 254 for air injection in the mid 89, I have one that was delivered half finished from Husqvarna.

I messed it up (memory was off + a misprint) :omg: - and was busy editing my post while you commented on it.....

The first IPL to show the air injection is the 1992-10 one. The 1990 one does not show it.

According Husqvarna Norway the 254 crankshaft have got a new number, 506 18 23 03.
And there should be around 8 262 cyl&pist in stock in Norway.
Even I bought one new oem 262 cyl&piston on ebay, I know where some of my summer vacation money will go :D

Good that you got one before they were gone.

Guess who got the last one here in the US. ;)

EDIT: Checked that crank number and it's not in the US system as of now.

Good that you got one before they were gone.

Guess who got the last one here in the US. ;)

EDIT: Checked that crank number and it's not in the US system as of now.
you also stock up on them?:D

I see 254 crankshafts with that number in google search also, special german sites. Maybe Husqvarna US have not in mind to import them.

you also stock up on them?:D

I see 254 crankshafts with that number in google search also, special german sites. Maybe Husqvarna US have not in mind to import them.

Germany is a source that most US people miss, when it comes to parts for older saws - just because they don't speak German. I don't really speak it either, but usually have little problem understanding it, when in writing. It is the grammar that is difficult, not the Words.

I'm gradually building up a stash of 154/254 carcasses in my garage, along with 238/242/246/42 carcasses. Shame these guys are turning NLA, they are great saws.
Completely agree !!!
Ever since I got my first Husqvarna 2xx I can only praise the way they are built on, simple, powerful, and well-balanced chainsaws.

Great thread! Bringing back up from the dead!

Almost have my 254xpg done. Needs a few tweaks and it's time to start er up. Had the full meal done done. Needs a new top cover bad. But that's gonna be sorted out soon
20150829_130516.jpg 20150829_130635.jpg

Yeah Welder, this thread deserves to be kept going. I bought out a retiring Husky dealer recently, (since 1978), and found some real gems for the winter project pile. One of which is a 154SG. There's also a 242XPG and a rare 444SG. "G" Models are a little more fun cause they are all somewhat rare, and you never know until you fire them up if the heat works or not. Only 2 series G I had before this is my 262XPG. Surprisingly, a fair amount of the G parts are still available as they didn't get gobbled up as quickly as the regular saws.

Parts are continuing to go away for these saws. The 262 intake block is still available, but the 254/257 block, which was also used on the 242's is NLA. The carb screws which were common to all of these saws are also NLA. Not cool for us in the enthusiast world, but trust me, the business case for continuing to produce them is weak. I own a high volume Husky shop and the "over the counter" or "in the shop" sales of parts for these saws is limited as there are fewer and fewer saws out in the field as time goes by. Choke levers, mounts, air filters, chain tensioners, fuel lines; just the basic stuff. A coil or carb is about the most expensive repair the typical user will go for. Anything more than that and guys buy a new saw.

The one exception to that rule are 242's owned by arborists. There's nothing quite like a 242 and pros that have run them will rebuild them whenever possible. Problem is that is now impossible if you need OEM top end parts, as both complete top ends as well as pistons are NLA from Husky. So, that leaves the Tecomec kit, which is a very nice piece, or several afermarket pistons if the cylinder can be saved. Any 242 I can scrape together would sell in a matter of minutes. Can't say that for any other saw.

Wish I picked up a 242 that was locally for sale for $100 then ;(

I bought a large parts lot of 154, 254, and 262 parts. Sold quite abit of the 262 parts. But really wanted to make 1 nice 254 out of it all. Just about there just gotta tidy up the final details.

Friends of mine have Em and they all say they are the saws too have (254 that is). I'm hoping the heated parts work as it should. Everything looks great. Will update once I start er up

Yeah Welder, this thread deserves to be kept going. I bought out a retiring Husky dealer recently, (since 1978), and found some real gems for the winter project pile. One of which is a 154SG. There's also a 242XPG and a rare 444SG. "G" Models are a little more fun cause they are all somewhat rare, and you never know until you fire them up if the heat works or not. Only 2 series G I had before this is my 262XPG. Surprisingly, a fair amount of the G parts are still available as they didn't get gobbled up as quickly as the regular saws.

Parts are continuing to go away for these saws. The 262 intake block is still available, but the 254/257 block, which was also used on the 242's is NLA. The carb screws which were common to all of these saws are also NLA. Not cool for us in the enthusiast world, but trust me, the business case for continuing to produce them is weak. I own a high volume Husky shop and the "over the counter" or "in the shop" sales of parts for these saws is limited as there are fewer and fewer saws out in the field as time goes by. Choke levers, mounts, air filters, chain tensioners, fuel lines; just the basic stuff. A coil or carb is about the most expensive repair the typical user will go for. Anything more than that and guys buy a new saw.

The one exception to that rule are 242's owned by arborists. There's nothing quite like a 242 and pros that have run them will rebuild them whenever possible. Problem is that is now impossible if you need OEM top end parts, as both complete top ends as well as pistons are NLA from Husky. So, that leaves the Tecomec kit, which is a very nice piece, or several afermarket pistons if the cylinder can be saved. Any 242 I can scrape together would sell in a matter of minutes. Can't say that for any other saw.

242XP pistons still available here in Finland. My dealer ordered one in for me at a crazy price of €98, but I'm already in for stupid money on a build with new case, crank and wrist bearings, seals, triggers, switches, AV mounts, caps, gaskets, bolts etc.

Even a complete new starter and chainbrake assembly have been purchased. It's a 242XPG and so far, the only thing I haven't been able to locate from Husqvarna directly is a cylinder and crankshaft, both of which turned out to be perfect on the donor saw.

Back