Husky 254 thoughts and opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, allow me to disagree. :)

I would have to say it's in the "upper end" of the 50cc class. Only a CC or 2 above a few other saws that we commonly accept as being 50's. Similar size and weight, and therefore a similar feel to them. 45mm piston which is also not out of range for this class.

If it was above 55cc, then yes we would have to call it something else. Probably the "lower end" of the 60cc class where we generally put the 56cc 357XP/2156.

Yeah Welder, this thread deserves to be kept going. I bought out a retiring Husky dealer recently, (since 1978), and found some real gems for the winter project pile. One of which is a 154SG. There's also a 242XPG and a rare 444SG. "G" Models are a little more fun cause they are all somewhat rare, and you never know until you fire them up if the heat works or not. Only 2 series G I had before this is my 262XPG. Surprisingly, a fair amount of the G parts are still available as they didn't get gobbled up as quickly as the regular saws.

Parts are continuing to go away for these saws. The 262 intake block is still available, but the 254/257 block, which was also used on the 242's is NLA. The carb screws which were common to all of these saws are also NLA. Not cool for us in the enthusiast world, but trust me, the business case for continuing to produce them is weak. I own a high volume Husky shop and the "over the counter" or "in the shop" sales of parts for these saws is limited as there are fewer and fewer saws out in the field as time goes by. Choke levers, mounts, air filters, chain tensioners, fuel lines; just the basic stuff. A coil or carb is about the most expensive repair the typical user will go for. Anything more than that and guys buy a new saw.

The one exception to that rule are 242's owned by arborists. There's nothing quite like a 242 and pros that have run them will rebuild them whenever possible. Problem is that is now impossible if you need OEM top end parts, as both complete top ends as well as pistons are NLA from Husky. So, that leaves the Tecomec kit, which is a very nice piece, or several afermarket pistons if the cylinder can be saved. Any 242 I can scrape together would sell in a matter of minutes. Can't say that for any other saw.

What are these folks willing to pay for the 242s? Life is taking a different route for me these days and I ended up selling off all my 154/254 stuff, but I've still got a couple good runner 242s, but who knows, maybe I don't really need those either?

What are these folks willing to pay for the 242s? Life is taking a different route for me these days and I ended up selling off all my 154/254 stuff, but I've still got a couple good runner 242s, but who knows, maybe I don't really need those either?

Easy $250. $300 if they are pretty. That puts them at about half the cost of a 550XP or T540. Plus I usually massage them a little so they are running really nice. But it's more often a rebuild of the customer's saw than me selling a saw. In those cases it's the typical parts and labor routine.

Well, allow me to disagree. :)

I would have to say it's in the "upper end" of the 50cc class. Only a CC or 2 above a few other saws that we commonly accept as being 50's. Similar size and weight, and therefore a similar feel to them. 45mm piston which is also not out of range for this class.

If it was above 55cc, then yes we would have to call it something else. Probably the "lower end" of the 60cc class where we generally put the 56cc 357XP/2156.

I don't really disagree, and saws like the MS261 and PS-5105 aren't much lighter - but then those saws aren't what a 50cc saw should be.

Then, the question is mainly academic anyway.... :D:lol:

Latest posts

Back