Husky 266 crank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all,

I have some 266 parts (NOS case, tank, P&C) and looking to build up a full saw

I have what im pretty sure is a 266 flywheel, part# 501 52 52-01 (on side). Im trying to find a correct crank. Im not sure what, if any, differences there are to the 272 crank, other than end threads.

I have most the husky IPLs for 266 and 272. Problem with these, is the crank part numbers in the book are for a complete crank and do not line up with the number on the crank. And with regards to flywheels, there are 2 part numbers on them. Bottom and side. The side part number seems to line up with IPLs

Example, try and find crank with part# on it, 501 77 70-01 or 503 61 33-01 in the 272 IPLs and you wont, yet they are definitely 272 cranks.

Trolling through some old threads I saw a photo of what I think mightbe a 266 crank with 501 51 57-01 on it.

So in short I need a 266 crank to suit my flywheel, and then need to know which ignition set I should use?

You want to look for the later version crank. It will have the smaller clutch threads. The older larger threaded clutches are almost impossible to find.

Yeah there was a old coarse thread crank. Not sure if the later version is just fine or actually smaller dia. We are talking clutch pto side regarding that.

Remember there was also another crank change......the flywheel tapers are different.....the latest version had an oval slot for a keyway because the flywheel had the cast in key.

This version was for the one piece ign. Flywheel # 503 51 15-03. The non-cast key flywheel part is # 501 77 82-02. These are both to be used on the one piece ign. Your 266 case will be for the two piece ign and takes flywheel # 501 52 52-02 and would have come on the coarse thread clutch crank # 501 51 57-01. However this flywheel also will fit the later fine thread crank part # 501 52 84-02......however.......this is not the crank shaft number but the number for the complete crankshaft set, including main bearings and wristpin bearing........I will get to the shop and check the actual crank # the crank is stamped with and get back to you....... I went through this a while ago .....but don't remember exactly....but you want to go with the fine tread clutch if at all possible as there are more clutch type choices and are much easier to find.....the coarse thread clutch has only one version...and most integral cap nuts are cracked from over tightening......this is not an issue with the fine thread clutches...

Remember there was also another crank change......the flywheel tapers are different.....the latest version had an oval slot for a keyway because the flywheel had the cast in key.

This version was for the one piece ign. Flywheel # 503 51 15-03. The non-cast key flywheel part is # 501 77 82-02. These are both to be used on the one piece ign. Your 266 case will be for the two piece ign and takes flywheel # 501 52 52-02 and would have come on the coarse thread clutch crank # 501 51 57-01. However this flywheel also will fit the later fine thread crank part # 501 52 84-02......however.......this is not the crank shaft number but the number for the complete crankshaft set, including main bearings and wristpin bearing........I will get to the shop and check the actual crank # the crank is stamped with and get back to you....... I went through this a while ago .....but don't remember exactly....but you want to go with the fine tread clutch if at all possible as there are more clutch type choices and are much easier to find.....the coarse thread clutch has only one version...and most integral cap nuts are cracked from over tightening......this is not an issue with the fine thread clutches...

hi Cantdog, thanks for the good info. Lines up with what i had already found out re my 272s and put in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-272-crank.295359/#post-5843349

"ill add a bit more info here now that ive been caught out.

Earlier crank 501 77 70-01 uses earlier flywheel 501 77 82-02 and has a M10 x 1.00 thread (flywheel side) Seperate key in crank. Nut is 503 22 10-02, washer is 503 23 00-08

Later crank 503 61 33-01 uses later flywheel 503 51 15-03 and has M8 x 1.00 thread (flywheel side) Key cast into flywheel. Nut is 503 22 10-11, washer is 503 23 01-01.

NOTE: taper on crank, in flywheel, ARE DIFFERENT, you can not interchange them.

Flywheels have 2 different part numbers on them, underneath and on the side. Side one seems to line up with IPLs

Please double check all part numbers"

chasing up that crank number would be great. I cross referenced all my IPLs and was hoping at some date point, the 272 and 266 crank would be the same (they share some other same part and part#s) but the IPL has different numbers. I wonder if a 272 crank is physically identical to a 266 crank, sans the threaded ends???

I have one 266 crank still not in a saw since I made 3 saws from 4. From what I can see nothing is wrong with it. I will say that the 162 and the two 266 all had the same course thread end and two piece ignition. The case you have will determine which ignition you need because the 1 piece setup won't fit in the 2 piece case and vise/versa. Also, the 268 I did has the flywheel with the keyway cast into the flywheel, the 162 and 266 all had the seperate key and matching groove so the flywheel you have will dictate which crank you need. I have an extra flywheel as well that matches the crank. I will say that I think the 3 older cranks and flywheels were all interchangable even though I kept them matched.

Keep in mind I have not try to start any of the three frankensaws so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Brian

here is a pic of the case I have. No ID plate as its a NOS replacement case. Its definitely a early 266 case as it has the rectangle hole for the throttle linkage, rather than the bigger round hole

20160505_094126.jpg

as per my first post at top, my Flywheel is part# 501 52 52-01, seperate key. Ideally im looking for a fine clutch thread with the bigger M10 x 1.00 thread on the flywheel side (thats if that even exsists?)

I definitely am not an expert here but I think if you find a fine thread crank and the keyless flywheel it would probably still work with the two piece ignition. It is just a magnet that creates the field and collapses it to make the spark. So my gut feeling is either flywheel setup will work.

Brian

can anyone confirm or give the part number ON crank that is a 266 crank, fine thread for clutch and takes the older flywheel with seperate key. I need to get this sorted so I can get started on 4 saws....

can anyone confirm or give the part number ON crank that is a 266 crank, fine thread for clutch and takes the older flywheel with seperate key. I need to get this sorted so I can get started on 4 saws....
I think the only person who can confirm if this even exists is Spike60.

Brian

yeah. I havent had much luck with Spike in the past. Ive pm'd him a few times before with little to no response. He sure is a wealth of knowledge though.

Fine threads crank # was 5015 284 03 that includes the fine threads clutch.Clutch alone F.T. was 5017 785 01. Introduced from 266 # 6024957.

Its not the same number that you can see on the crank.

and thats the problem. No point using the IPL number, its not like Im going to buy a new crank from Husqvarna. (probably not even possible!)

SO!, again, can anyone help with the crank number actually on a 266 crank?

Latest posts

Back