Husky 272 parts interchangeability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 272xp needing a cylinder. Thinking of modifying it but can't find a suitable used cylinder. New sets are a bit too high for my first shot at surgery. So, I am curious if there are other (probably smaller) displacement cylinders and pistons which will basically swap out? No other changes, bolt up? And if there are, would they be a good candidate to port and polish. After reading those porting posts earlier this week, I've got the bug but don't really want to test on a new piston and cylinder. Any help as usual is greatly appreciated, woojr

I think Baileys is to get a 372 big bore jug towards summer, the Stihl BB kits ar 110$, I would think it should be close to the same.

The Husky 61, 268K and 268 are compatable with the 272XP, 272K and 272S, in that they all share the same casing, crank and ignition.
John

After further investigation, I have been told that the 266 casing is also compatible with the saws I mentioned above.
Does anyone know whether the 66 is also interchangeable?
John

The saw family in question started with the Husky 162se, then it went 61, 61 Rancher, 66, 266se, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp and 268.
All the versions of the Jonsered 625, 630 and 670 were also part of the same family, and made at the Husqvarna factory.
As far as I know all the cylinders will fit on any version, but in some cases it will be necessary to change out other parts as well to make it work properly.

The non-xp 268 and the 61 are still current saws in parts of the world.

Last edited:
Sawtroll, those kind of cross references are good to know. I noticed 2 things about the 272K so far in that the cyl bolts are standard cap srews (non metric) and that the green coil it has, has a rev limiter that cuts out at low rpm. However, it seems I can rob one out of a 262.
If anywayone has a casing for the models Sawtroll indicated please let me know so we can make a deal.
John

cylinder swapping issues

As I read these posts, it appears I could drop back to a 268 (which I've seen available on ebay) piston-cylinder but may have something to modify. Any thoughts on what it might be? The timing is the same for all these saws isn't it? I was assuming they all had same stroke. Slight displacement difference only in bore? woojr

First of all, I do not think it is a good idea to "demote" your 272xp to a
non-xp 268, as there is quite a difference in power (5.2 vs. 4.4 hp). The other way around would be another story of course.

With a little patience, I think you will find a 272 cylinder on E-bay. They seem to pop up from time to time....

If you decide to do the conversion, I think the best help for finding out what else is different (if anything), will be the IPLs.
They are easy to find trough Huskys website.:D

This workshop manual from 1997 or so may also be of interest to you.

Last edited:
You're right on

I have come to the same conclusion. I'll just be patient. Will definitely check out the manual. woojr

Just for the record, a 394 coil fits in the 268/272/262.:blob2: It actually fits even better than the coil that came out of it.
John

Back