Husky 281XP (older model) parts interchange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capeferrelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum, love all the information in it.

I have an older 281XP (s/n 7150598) that runs like a champ. It has the metal chainbrake, and I suddenly realized that finding parts might be a bit problematic. So, the question is this: Is the band the same as the newer models with plastic handles, or can I/will I have to upgrade to a newer brake/side cover, or just fab stuff as I need it?

I presume other parts like oil pumps are the same across model years. Oh, and does anyone know if I can upgrade to a newer model cylinder cover for a HD air filter, or will I have to search out the 281/288 HD filter cover?

Jeez, I guess I have one more question. Planning on, in the not too distant future, upgrading to a 288 p/c. Anyone have experience with the 100 buck kit that Bailey's has?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys can give.

Steve
Welder, Fabricator, Sculptor, and lover of saws.

Hey all, new to the forum, love all the information in it.

I have an older 281XP (s/n 7150598) that runs like a champ. It has the metal chainbrake, and I suddenly realized that finding parts might be a bit problematic. So, the question is this: Is the band the same as the newer models with plastic handles, or can I/will I have to upgrade to a newer brake/side cover, or just fab stuff as I need it?

I presume other parts like oil pumps are the same across model years. Oh, and does anyone know if I can upgrade to a newer model cylinder cover for a HD air filter, or will I have to search out the 281/288 HD filter cover?

Jeez, I guess I have one more question. Planning on, in the not too distant future, upgrading to a 288 p/c. Anyone have experience with the 100 buck kit that Bailey's has?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys can give.

Steve
Welder, Fabricator, Sculptor, and lover of saws.

Hi Steve, Welcome to Arboristsite! ;) I weld and fabricate as well (I do some on the side for my work). Anyway I also happen to have both a 288 and 281 saws, they are great saws if not a wee bit on the heavy side. The parts for the older style chain brake with the metal handle are no longer available. You'll need to either buy an aftermarket side cover, or fab the pieces yourself (which I ended up doing on a 61 with that style cover).
I have no idea on the filter cover tho, and have had no experience with the baileys kit, maybe someone can chime in!

Thanks for the welcome and for the information! Any thoughts on which aftermarket (assuming there are more than two) brakes are the best bets? I think I'll also start taking measurements off other Huskys and see if I can retrofit across models.

Steve

That's the stuff I needed to hear...$100 is just never going to be Mahle. I'll just salt some pennies away to pick up the factory piston and jug. Any sources anyone can recommend for picking up a later version clutch cover/chain brake instead of buying the aftermarket version? Or, is the aftermarket version ok?

The saw runs great. It's old, to be sure, but I have a newer 455 for firewood chores, and while it's more than adequate to that task, I had to limit the limiters' influence and mod the muffler to get it there.

The 281 will be with me, I suspect, far after the 455 has given up and died.

Steve

That's the stuff I needed to hear...$100 is just never going to be Mahle. I'll just salt some pennies away to pick up the factory piston and jug. Any sources anyone can recommend for picking up a later version clutch cover/chain brake instead of buying the aftermarket version? Or, is the aftermarket version ok?

The saw runs great. It's old, to be sure, but I have a newer 455 for firewood chores, and while it's more than adequate to that task, I had to limit the limiters' influence and mod the muffler to get it there.

The 281 will be with me, I suspect, far after the 455 has given up and died.

Steve

If you don't want the aftermarket chain brake cover, You'll just need to find a good used 288 cover with the later plastic brake handle......I haven't checked, but it might be available from Husky still if your pockets are deep enough.

If you want the tall top cover and the HD air filter, the top cover is a bolt on and you will need the air filter as well as the little plastic air inlet elbow ahead of the carb.......It's all bolt on stuff from a 288xp high top.

Welcome to the forum and you have a great powerhouse Husky!!:cheers:

Howdy,
On the 288 cylinder kits, we've sold 358 in 3 years with 2 returns. We've sold 93 of the covers in the last 1 1/2 years with 6 returns. The return rate is high on the covers but, this accounts for all return reasons from failure to wrong item ordered. I really don't think that the OEM cylinders are 2 1/2 times better than our aftermarket kit.
Regards
Gregg

Been busy and so have not followed the thread, but again thanks for all the new information. The saw, while not a spring chicken, is still a ways off from needing a rebuild. Love European engineering. I do want to upgrade the brake, and would prefer OEM, so will look that route. Ditto the filter upgrade.

One of the things I love about the saw is the predominance of metal parts. Heavy, sure, but if they crack, I can fix them. I am also toying with the idea of fabbing a filter mount for a larger filter through the stock cover for milling lumber, along the lines of a snorkel. I saw something similar in an advert picture for Granberg, though it looks like they just stuck a big foam filter on while keeping the top of a two piece cover off.

And thanks to the gentleman from Bailey's for the information on the P/C kits. That's really an impressive (positive) return rate. I'll give it more consideration.

I have to say I am really impressed by the breadth and depth of information here. It's nice to get lots of good ideas, opinion and tech information. I have an older, hard to find new parts for Audi Coupe, and those sites have people who have run them for years and have great info. I also have a Jeep. And, some sites have the same. And others...eh, you all know.

So again, thanks.

Steve

Back