Husky 345 sprocket conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeZee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husky 345 model #967 01 23 00

I would like to change from a spur sprocket to a rim sprocket. I am having problems looking for the oil pump drive gear. What is the part number.

The original oil pump drive gear is 503 93 18 01 which is for a ½ inch shaft. Am I out of luck on this conversion.

Thanks , Bernie

SawTroll.

I did contact Bailey's yesterday and I would judge that I'll get a response sometime Monday or Tuesday. I also checked their website but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks for the reply, Bernie.

Bailey's does carry it and it's on sale now. I think the sprocket will fit with no additional parts (oil pump drive) but a phone call to them would confirm that. I'm ordering one for my Husky 350 and it does not need anything to convert.

Bailey's does carry it and it's on sale now. I think the sprocket will fit with no additional parts (oil pump drive) but a phone call to them would confirm that. I'm ordering one for my Husky 350 and it does not need anything to convert.
You are wrong. While it can be done, it's not a great setup on the 350, and your lack of knowledge tells me you haven't had yours apart. The oil drive gear doesn't fit the end of the drum end for the 350, and the size of the crank is slightly smaller.

Part# for the 345 drive gear is 503 89 21 02.

Part# for the drum is ORF 108215X

NOTE: drive gear will NOT work on the 350, the crank is too small. This leaves space between the bearing on the crank and the inside diameter of the drive gear. This is why there is a separate part number for the 350 drive gear also. Bailey's confirmed this, but hasn't changed the web page. It will not work on a 350. It is also not correct that you do not need one. You can get by using the original drive gear, but there is slop for the thickness difference between a sprocket end and the rim/drum end. I put some epoxy putty in mine to remove the slop, as the original sprocket end is correct for the crank/bearing.

TraditionalTool;1901556 Part# for the 345 drive gear is [URL="https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=503%2089%2021%2002" said:
503 89 21 02[/URL].

Part# for the drum is ORF 108215X ]

The oil drive gear 503 82 21 01 is for a 5/8" shaft which I can not use. I have this particular gear setting on my bench right now and it will not work.

The shaft for a Husky 345 is 1/2"

I have on my bench a rim drum 503 98 00 01 coupled with a PowerMate 325-7 with the bearing. All of this fits my crankshaft. Maybe my local dealer gave me the wrong stuff. I know the oil drive gear is not made for my Husky 345 and I can not find a oil drive gear on Bailey's.

Still looking for a little help.

Bernie

The oil drive gear 503 82 21 01 is for a 5/8" shaft which I can not use. I have this particular gear setting on my bench right now and it will not work.

The shaft for a Husky 345 is 1/2"
Those part numbers above are for the 345. Maybe you have the smaller crank also, I can't remember for certain and can't take it apart as I'm using it for work at the moment. I run 1/4" pitch on my 350.
I have on my bench a rim drum 503 98 00 01 coupled with a PowerMate 325-7 with the bearing. All of this fits my crankshaft. Maybe my local dealer gave me the wrong stuff. I know the oil drive gear is not made for my Husky 345 and I can not find a oil drive gear on Bailey's.
Well, if you look at the spline closely on the oiler for the 345 vs. the oiler for the 350, you will notice that it is a different spline, meaning the same oiler gear will not work. Good luck figuring it out, I have it sorted out for my 350, but have only used a 345, and have never dis-assembled one, so have no idea what the 345 is all about. The 350 I have I did completely rebuild, so more familiar with it.

Also note, the 350 has an adjustable oiler, the 345 does not. I have heard you can use the adjustable oiler on the 345, but have not tried one as I don't have a 345 to try it on. You also face the difference in oiler spline and drive gear inner circumference...so those need to match up to work properly.

I did just get a drum/bearing for a 242xp, but it's a different part entirely, but I think it is the same that fits on the 42 special I have because those appear to be interchangeable.

Good luck!

There is an error on my part. I said

The correct number is 503 89 21 01

I did find this at Bailey's.

Note Requires a special clutch tool 31118 to replace. If you are converting a Husqvarna 346, 351 or 353 from a spur sprocket you need to purchase #503 89 21 02 oil pump drive gear as well. If you are converting a Husqvarna 357 or 359 from a spur system you need to purchase #503 91 27 03 oil pump drive gear. This rim & drum system has a small 7 spline and uses RSS rims. If you would like to run larger RSD rims, use part number RD 108565.

It seems like #503 89 21 02 is the part that I got instead of 503 89 21 01. It's amazing how one number off can make a big difference.

I am still going to wait for Bailey's return email and I also emailed Oregonchain.com to see what they come up with.

And while I'm asking questions, what are RSS and RSD rims?

I would like to thank all that have responded and I'll let you know what happens.

Bernie.

You are wrong. While it can be done, it's not a great setup on the 350, and your lack of knowledge tells me you haven't had yours apart. The oil drive gear doesn't fit the end of the drum end for the 350, and the size of the crank is slightly smaller.

Part# for the 345 drive gear is 503 89 21 02.

Part# for the drum is ORF 108215X

NOTE: drive gear will NOT work on the 350, the crank is too small. This leaves space between the bearing on the crank and the inside diameter of the drive gear. This is why there is a separate part number for the 350 drive gear also. Bailey's confirmed this, but hasn't changed the web page. It will not work on a 350. It is also not correct that you do not need one. You can get by using the original drive gear, but there is slop for the thickness difference between a sprocket end and the rim/drum end. I put some epoxy putty in mine to remove the slop, as the original sprocket end is correct for the crank/bearing.

Excuse me all to heck for my "lack of knowledge" as you put it. I have NOT got mine apart yet, I was passing on what the seller told me. (and also stated he should call himself)

Thanks, though for your additional information for my saw. Looks like I need additional parts that I was told I did not need.

I looked trough all the 345/350 IPLs that I could find, and found no solution. :givebeer:

If there is one, it is aftermarket.
There is a solution, it is to use the original 350 drive gear, and put some RTV or epoxy putty in the inset to fit the narrow splines on the end of the drum. As most know, the drum/rim combo has narrower splines.

Also, you can just use the original drive gear and do nothing, and that works also, just that there is some slop in the chain that you can move back and forth without the saw running. I think it would be fine, I've run it like that also.
Excuse me all to heck for my "lack of knowledge" as you put it. I have NOT got mine apart yet, I was passing on what the seller told me. (and also stated he should call himself)

Thanks, though for your additional information for my saw. Looks like I need additional parts that I was told I did not need.
Not to be harsh, but you were recommending someone go buy parts without understanding the saw. I don't know what the seller of the 350 told you, but I know what works on it, and by learning the hard way.

I just got a response from Bailey's. They said to use the original oil drive gear part #503 93 18-01.

The only thing that I don't like about using the original is the sloppiness but what are you going to do if they don't make the right part. I think that I'll buy a couple of extra original oil drive gears and monitor the wear on them.

Thanks everybody for your input, it is much appreciated. I'll save this thread and keep you updated on the chainsaw performance and wear.

Be safe out there, Bernie.

How about this solution: Just use the spur sprocket that came with the saw.

What significant benefit are you going to gain, and/or actually notice, making this switch on a Husky 345? I don't see how it's worth all of this effort.

Howdy,
With the 340, 345, and 350, you just use your original oil pump drive gear. It is made for spur type sprocket but, the 7 splines of the drum will fit the 7 notches of the spur type drive gear. It isn't an exact match but, it works. There is quite a few of these that have been done and the biggest issues are cold weather operation. If the bar oil gets thick enough, extra stress is put on the drive gear and could cause it to strip, and fail prematurely.
Regards
Gregg

so has anyone got a oil pump gear yet(1/2 in shaft) to do the spur sprocket swap for the 350's??? the 359,350 and 346 all have different size shafts. the 346 had the biggest. guess ya can use the 350 pump gear with the 346 drum but as said it is slopy.if someone has bought the correct pump gear tado this swap, post a pic or the CORRECT part number

Attachments

• DSC06410.JPG
    DSC06410.JPG
    955.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06411.JPG
    DSC06411.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC06412.JPG
    DSC06412.JPG
    642.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC06413.JPG
    DSC06413.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC06414.JPG
    DSC06414.JPG
    997.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC06415.JPG
    DSC06415.JPG
    810.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I've also been searching for a matching oil pump gear for use with a rim sprocket on my Jonsered CS2150 / HVA 350 equivalent.

I have also a CS2152 and was hoping it was an easy operation to just switch between rim and spur sprocket, i.e. to use the CS2152 components on the CS2150.

The only solution I can think of is to add a nylon or PTFE bushing to fill up the space of the CS2152 worm gear, when in use on the CS2150. All due to the difference in rod diameter:
CS2152: ø 0.57"/ø 14.5mm.
CS2150: ø 0.50"/ø 12.7mm.

Oljepumpdreven på HVA 353 / Jonsered CS2152 (503 89 21-03 för "rim" och 503 89 20-02 för "spur") har håldiametern passande för vevaxeln ø 0.57"/ø 14.5mm.

Oljepumpdrevet för typen "spur" (.325x7) på Husqvarna 350 / Jonsered CS2150 (503 89 22-02) har den smalare håldiametern för vevaxeln ø 0.50"/ø 12.7mm.

Latest posts

Back