Husky 346xp Compression??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroutBrookFarms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a 346xp that doesn't stay running and has oil coming out of the muffler. The compression in about 120 lbs. I want to know if that's what it should be before I tear it down and replace rings and seals. Thanks.

If you got oil coming out of the muffler,probably you are running your saw with with a too rich mixture of gas/oil or you are carb adj is too rich too on the hi speed adj.Your compression should be around 150.Dont forget to get an accurate compression reading,you must keep the throttle wide open while cranking the saw.

compression

That model turns up so they seem to have piston problems but i believe compression should be 175-200 on a good block at 120 psi she is having problems but may be usable. I believe the other post that may be there is to much oil in the gas is correct. :yoyo:

havvey said:
That model turns up so they seem to have piston problems but i believe compression should be 175-200 on a good block at 120 psi she is having problems but may be usable. I believe the other post that may be there is to much oil in the gas is correct. :yoyo:

Agree with ya on that. Oil only comes from two places, the bar oil tank and the fuel mix. Not likely bar oil is getting in the crankcase, possile I reckon but very rare indeed.

THALL10326 said:
Agree with ya on that. Oil only comes from two places, the bar oil tank and the fuel mix. Not likely bar oil is getting in the crankcase, possile I reckon but very rare indeed.

You saw that saw in the background (044) of my pics? it is leaking bar oil into the crancase...Never seen it myself before.

Freakingstang said:
You saw that saw in the background (044) of my pics? it is leaking bar oil into the crancase...Never seen it myself before.

Thats rare indeed. Sounds like your gonna have to open her up and replaced that crankcase gasket. Very rarely does it happen but like I said I reckon its possible, durn Stang ya proved me right,lol.......

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll double check the compression and go from there. If it's running too rich it must be out of adjust on the carb. Thanks again.

leaking oil

Others are correct bar oil could be going into the crankcase. But i dont know how on a modern husky. On the old mccullochs and others many lost a gasket (or bolt )and the bar oil went into the crankcase and thus into the engine. this was easy to find and common once everyone got on it. so check on it :yoyo:

If it's drooling oil out of the muffler, there's a pretty good chance the spark arrestor screen is plugged. 120 is getting pretty low as far as making power goes. If the screen is plugged, another indication is oil weeping around the compression release. If it did carbon up the screen and you have a model with the auto compression release, carbon could be holding the compression release open causing your low compression condition also.

Latest posts

Back