Husky 395 xp or Stihl ms660 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo15479

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have read all the old posts and still have a few questions. Also some of the posts are old and maybe there is some new information now. I am going to buy either of the above saws and need some answers. Let me say both in my area are priced very close and their are dealers for both brands. I see some people say that the chain adjuster on a Husky is weak and bends very easily. I already know it would not be as easy to adjust because of the location but how about the strength? I have heard the Husky starts hard when hot; is this true? How about the vibration? I now own a Stihl 360 pro, Husky 61, Husky 51, and a Husky 242 xp. I need a much bigger saw for what I am cutting and again have narrowed it down to one of the two. I know everyone has a favorite brand but please try to be objective and tell me from experience what you think and not what brand is your favorite. Thanks

You mean husky 395xp I am guessing titles can be tough to edit on forms like this.
The stihl one is soon to be oblelete and a newer version brought to market. One is inboard clutch the other outboard. 390 vs 660 would be same clutch set up.

As you can see below in my signature, I am a Husky Fan.
Yes I have used Stihls, they are good enough, but I prefer Husky.
How do you like your Huskys?
For my money, I say get the biggest Husky you can afford and don't look back.

Not sure what a Husky 396 is though?

As you can see below in my signature, I am a Husky Fan.
Yes I have used Stihls, they are good enough, but I prefer Husky.
How do you like your Huskys?
For my money, I say get the biggest Husky you can afford and don't look back.

Not sure what a Husky 396 is though?

Clint,
It's a 395XP with Xtra Pee. It's for extra long piss revving.

i thought it was going to be an autotune 395xp.:popcorn:

OP- 395 will stomp a 660 into the ground.... ifn you want a monster saw with power.
consider also the jonsered 2188 and husq 390xp

Make sure you contact Terry Landrum (WickedWorkSaw) for the best price.

my work here is done.:rock:

I'll second what Bryan said. 2188/390XP is a solid saw with side tension and all the goodies. Find a dealer and pick up the 390 and the 395... you'll understand why the 390 is around.

Only reason to go big 395 or 3120 is a bar consistently over 36" long or milling, IMHO.

Now, of course, you could be short on cash. One of my good friends was, but he needed a good logger's saw. I stumbled across a Stihl 066 that was sold as non-running for $220. Piston and rings were shot. Tank housing was cracked. Clutch cover was mangled. I replaced them all and added bumper spikes. Saw now pulls even with a new MS660 that another fellow owns in the shop. Total cost: $390.

He also bought me a few beers. :)

+3 on what bryanr2 says. A 390xp will do everything as well if not better untill you bolt on a 3'+ size bar. They also sound like a motocross bike. l probabaly have more stihl blood runnin through my viens than husky and l would vote a big NO on a 660. 661, sure its latest generation tech but the 660 is a dinosaur and feels like one in the hand. You do realise that a 660 is based on a 30+ year old design. Things have changed for tye good since then.

My finger hit the wrong button, I did mean a 395. I have 80 acres with timber that needs at least a 36 inch bar to get through it. I have the smaller saws to use when I need a smaller saw. My three huskys are great. The 61 is an old saw and it just keeps running. Only problem I ever had with the 61 was the two piece coil. The insulation wore off the wires and the saw would not run. I put in a new coil and that was it. Thanks for the replies.

I'm with bryanr2. I think the 390xp is the saw of choice but between the other 2 if stock I would go 395xp if your having it ported I would go 660. But i think you will find if you get a bigger saw a 390xp with a 28" bar cuts almost anything and is much nimble to run. I have a 066 and very seldom does it wear a 36" bar and usually then only for bucking. A ported 460 wearing a 28" bar is just plain easier and wears you down less. I have not got the chance to port and run a 461 yet.

I got rid of my 066 as it was dissapointing power, even with the dual port muffler cover. But the vibes were what really killed the 066/660 for me. It vibrated a lot more than my 460. I now have a 395 and love it. Very smooth and plenty of power to run a 36" or longer bar. And I cannot tell the weight difference between it and a 660. But way, way more power. I like Stihls a lot, but give me a 395 over a 660 any day.

I really have to run a 395 husky. Just no one around my part sells husky. They all push stihl

I really have to run a 395 husky. Just no one around my part sells husky. They all push stihl.
Same around here also. You have to drive about 200 miles just to get a professional Husky or Dolmar. On the other hand, we have five Stihl dealers in town. That's the way it is. So, if you drop $1,200 on a professional Husky or Dolmar and it clunks out on you, now what? Take a long bed and breakfast trip?

Same around here also. You have to drive about 200 miles just to get a professional Husky or Dolmar. On the other hand, we have five Stihl dealers in town. That's the way it is. So, if you drop $1,200 on a professional Husky or Dolmar and it clunks out on you, now what? Take a long bed and breakfast trip?
Wow. And i complain about 45 miles. Lol. Just hold out boys the 661 will be here before u know it.

Never ran a 395 but would rather have a 385/390 as parts are interchangeable. The 066 is a good saw too. Are you sure you don't want something lighter?

Back