Husky 395 xp or Stihl ms660 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read all the old posts and still have a few questions. Also some of the posts are old and maybe there is some new information now. I am going to buy either of the above saws and need some answers. Let me say both in my area are priced very close and their are dealers for both brands. I see some people say that the chain adjuster on a Husky is weak and bends very easily. I already know it would not be as easy to adjust because of the location but how about the strength? I have heard the Husky starts hard when hot; is this true? How about the vibration? I now own a Stihl 360 pro, Husky 61, Husky 51, and a Husky 242 xp. I need a much bigger saw for what I am cutting and again have narrowed it down to one of the two. I know everyone has a favorite brand but please try to be objective and tell me from experience what you think and not what brand is your favorite. Thanks
I had a 395 a short time. It felt like a big block to me. After reading here about all its awesome power, it didn't impress me over my 660. I really feel much more comfortable with the 660 and its never lacked having plenty of power for me. 32" is the biggest bar I've been running so may be side by side with a 36" bar in big stuff it would feel different.
I don't care how old the design is, the 066-660 still feels like a super fine tool to me. Never had a need or desire for anything better.

Im on the 395 boat bit more power waaaaay better filtration and way less vibes, i am a wuss but i cant put more than a tank of fuel through a 66 i reckon my 084 vibtates less , the stihl feels kinda cramped to me aswell
Both really good saws but

36" bar is Husky 395 territory. You'll be disappointed with a Stihl 660 unless it's ported. I'd look for a used Husky 394/5, it would be even better if it's been ported. A ported 394/5 comes up for sale on this site once every few months.
Interesting. All the loggers around here run with Stihl MS660's or 066's and pull 36" bars. A few have 084's that continue to operate with 36" bars and 044 chain. Here's the result of a stock MS660 and an experienced operator working with a 36" bar and chain:

Need I say more?

Is there really that much difference between the 394/395XPs and an older 066 Magnum? Seems like they have comparable specs...

A stock 660 is a dog. Give them the right treatment they can run well. A stock 394 will out pull the 395 until both are ported...then the quad port transfers make the 395 king.

Interesting. All the loggers around here run with Stihl MS660's or 066's and pull 36" bars. A few have 084's that continue to operate with 36" bars and 044 chain. Here's the result of a stock MS660 and an experienced operator working with a 36" bar and chain:

Need I say more?

How long did that take?

Not saying that they are terrible. Just that they are really down on power from the factory. After porting and a muffler mod they are a fine saw.

How long did that take? Not saying that they are terrible. Just that they are really down on power from the factory. After porting and a muffler mod they are a fine saw.
Not sure how long that took, but take a look at the flat bottom of that felling cut. This logger (my friend) knows how to drop big trees and waste practically none of the stump. Andy's been doing it for over 20 years and usually runs stock Stihl saws. He has three MS660's and eight bars from 30" to 36". It makes for a pretty good business.

If you are a faller, having to carry in the woods, where you NEED a 36" bar, then a 660 might make sense over a 395 as the 395 is noticably larger in body to a 660 and does weigh more. But for just about anyone else the 395 would get the nod from my limited experience.

a9e4ff4b44f4512f633a6638c9e03ae4.jpg

Mastermind 660 in 42 yr old ozzie/tazzie blue gum, made my fingers tingle

Yeah, that tree was 42yrs old, HO planted it

Latest posts

Back