husky 455 rancher or 550 xp ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treewacker

Reaction score
Hi
I am about to go buy a new saw. And just wondering if it is worth the extra money to go with the HUSKY 550XP or save about 300 $ and go with the HUSKY 455 RANCHER .? thanks in advance. I mostly use it to buck big rounds I get from a tree service in town. THANKS

I agree with SVK. Also, what does "big" mean to you ? To me, big means 36" or bigger. If that's the case, I would say 70 cc class & up saw.

Hi
I am about to go buy a new saw. And just wondering if it is worth the extra money to go with the HUSKY 550XP or save about 300 $ and go with the HUSKY 455 RANCHER .? thanks in advance. I mostly use it to buck big rounds I get from a tree service in town. THANKS
Where did you get these two choices from? The 550xp is a professional metal cased saw and the 455 is homeowner plastic cased. Knowing what I know now.....550 hands down its more powerful 3.8 vs 3.5hp. Ported better for performance. Lighter in weight. Dont get me wrong a 455 will buck up wood and perform . It was my first "big" (I thought it was big....calm down)lol saw. I have a friend who uses it for tree removals all the time. If its money 455. If not 550xp.

Big rounds need lots of power. More good is better. Weight isn't that important. I don't know what the prices are where you're from, but a dolkita 6100 or even a 7910 costs the same as a 550xp overhere a husky 555 is also arround the same ballpark (all around the 600 euro mark). I wouldn't even consider a 400 series if A grade options are optional.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk

The 455 is an average saw with just enough power to pull a 20" chain in hardwood slowly. You can do much better.
unless you are a homeowner who only does a couple cords a year, you will be disappointed with a 455.

The 455 is an average saw with just enough power to pull a 20" chain in hardwood slowly. You can do much better.
unless you are a homeowner who only does a couple cords a year, you will be disappointed with a 455.
I owned a 455 and I think that thing ripped through hardwood. Good chain and it performed. I really cant knock it for what it was at all. I cut many trees with it during Sandy and it chewed through anything that came in front of it flawlessly. I probably sold 10 of them that day without even knowing it. But it is homeowner grade, plastic handles, case and such.

Did they throw the 18" RSN bar on there?
Now you have to take her out for a modeling session and post pictures.

It's much better suited to a 16" bar.
Your funny svk, everything you own has a 16" bar lol.

To the op(original poster).
Welcome to AS, sorry it's a bit late.
I'm curious as to how you are liking the saw and what you have learned since buying it.
Hope you have lot's of wood stockpiled by now as well :).

First thing you need to do with the 550xp is change the air screen to a felt air filter or sawdust will be sucked into intake! I bought the 550xp for my limbing saw. It does good for its compact size and weight. The bad is its cold blooded and has to idle several minutes until it's warmed up or it just dies. Doesn't use much fuel. I use the 7900 for the bucking saw. Also had the chain come off the 550 and had to file a dozen drive links so they would fit back in the bar again, never had to touch up a 3/8 chain before when one comes off. Probably only had a chain come off 5 times total in the years I have been cutting. My guess is the .325 chain just wasn't thick enough to handle the abuse idk.

Back