Husky 50 and 55 Frankensaw: which carb to use Walboro or ZAMA?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Crunch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just call me Dr. Frankenstein (thats Fraunkensteen...),

I have two saws, an '92 50 with burned up bottom end and a '98 55 with burned up top end. I plan to make a Frankensaw and can either use the newer 55 set up with one pull choke/high idle, air injection and ZAMA carb or the older 50 set up with walboro carb and the goofy throttle/operator-presence-lever-high-idle and air cleaner choke. I don't mind the older set up and am wondering:

Is there a difference in the ZAMA vs Walboro carb for reliability or performance?

Can I put the air injection bits on the Walboro set up and is it worth it?

signed,
Captain Frankenstein

Last edited:
On the carb issue, depending on the design of the carb, if either of the carbs just has one adjustment screw, JUNK IT. But in my opinion, WALBRO makes a better carb than Zama. Although more and more manufacturers are switching to Zama. The Walbro carb, in my opinion, is alot easier to rebuild than the Zama. Thats just my 2 cents. Goodluck with the project. Would like to see pics of the inside of the jug and piston!

I assume you meant pics of the piston from the 50 with the burned clutch cover in the photo. The piston is pretty black but no bad scoring on the jug. Sorry for the bad photo, never really had luck taking pictures of jugs.
The crank spins very roughly so I will put a better piston I have in this jug onto a bottom end from a 55. Hence the Frankensaw title. This will become my 16" limbing and back up saw.

Back