Husky Policy Change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how do those companies on E-bay get around selling brand new XP saws online. I always purchase mine from a local dealer anyhow but I have seen a seller in FL that seems to carry the full line on Ebay.

Both Stihl and Husky (and I'm sure other brands with similar policies) have to fight the Ebay thing pretty hard. There are always dealers who are willing to bend the rules. Usually they'll sell them to a "friend" at cost... who then in turn lists them on Ebay or his own site.

Stihl historically has been pretty good about shutting these guys down by purchasing random saws on Ebay and running the serial numbers. Not as sure about Husky because I haven't dealt with them as long.

I found it kind of strange that Husky amended their policy, but I guess they figure if you can buy the lower-end saws at Lowes with no safety or usage instructions whatsoever from the seller... you might as well be able to buy the saw online.

I looked into becoming a stihl dealer a few years ago. Lots of rules! We already had echo,dixon,grasshopper,woods,scag to name a few. Baisicly they told me there was strict pricing to keep dealers from cutthroating other dealers and if another dealer could prove you were purposleycalling on customers in his territory that they would pull the dealership! Another thing like echo they work off of diffrent levels for dealer pricing such as non stocking dealer, silver,bronze.gold,and platinum, all depending on how much your stock order is for the year . I think the gold level was like $250,000 sales a year!! Thats alot of saws! But none the less my dreams of being a sthil dealer are pretty much shot cause they let all john deere dealers sell stihls now. from what i heard it was a markiting stratigy to hurt the efco/john deere brand. makes sense i guess..

Back