Husq 455 Rancher year 2015 info???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treelovinchainsawowner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In year 2015 (June) , I've bought a new Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I'm looking for the most current accurate user manual in like a PDF that I can find. I've had 3 chainsaws in the past. They were all Polan and Craftsman ($220 max) saws. I have learned my lesson. I wanted to step it up so I got the base "real chainsaw model" . I've only took 2 trees (well over a cord) with this Husq but like it so far.

Anyone have a recent Rancher? I'm just looking for the manual and also any tips you can give me. I want to baby this saw & the more info the better to do that!

I have searched sooo many dead ends & am just tired of it. The internet is getting too old at this point!? Maybe I stink at this interwebs thing but when I search terms & end up reading 11 year old out of date info, I get frustrated.

The most current and up to date manual is on the Husqvarna site. There isn't anything more current than that, also there is precious little difference between the 2015 model (you can tell what year it is on the info tag on the saw) and any other year, for that matter.

Thanks for the info on the manual. It did come with a manual but I was wanting a pdf I could look at while in the store or out cutting. Found the pdf that is exact copy of the paper one that came with it. Thanks!

That was the main thing on my mind when posting but also any tips from Husq 455 owners would be good.

Any of you use that little filing guide they recommend in the manual? I looks like it would be alot quicker if they work well. I have one of those Oregon clamp-on swivel jobs but it's not the slickest thing to use.

Also, How many time do you think I can get away with sharping the safety chain that came on it? I've ordered a regular Husq chain so I'll be able to file the depth gauges.

Thanks! Seems like a great forum.

I've rebuilt over a dozen ranchers from the crank up. There is little difference between model years...which is one nice thing about them...all the parts interchange and are ubiquitous. ..

Use an oregon 72lgx072g chain instead...buy at least 5 of them right now...they are cheaper and better than the oem chains.

Remember. ..all the parts on the saw are replaceable ....so don't worry about babying it...just go cut wood!

Use an oregon 72lgx072g chain instead.
Thanks!!! I was looking for a "real" chain that had the file-able depth gauges! I am right now on Amazon and all my searches keep coming up with safety chains (bent over depth gauges). Like I said, I'm not great at interwebing. I've got the Husq filing kit that has the files & little filing guide in my cart now. I'll be adding a couple 72lgx072g to the order!!!

"I've rebuilt over a dozen ranchers from the crank up." Well then say 7 or so years from now I may have more questions for you! I know who to ask now. Seems like a great saw so far. I've have never had a saw start so easy & run like this.

My Rancher 20" bar is .050. Made in 2014.

I just got the "72lgx072g" and the Husq filing kit today in the mail. It might be awhile before I use the chain but I checked & IT IS a normal chain. I can file the depth gauges. This is what I wanted.

I have not even opened the Husq filing kit yet. I'm sure I might have a comment about it later. I have some cutting to to this weekend so it might be tested.

The "bent over depth guage" can be filed down like any other. The chain is round filed chisel and works good.

The Oregon Gaugit 31941 .025" tool works as the opening in the tool is wide. It takes alot of filing as the Depth Gauge on the chain is wide.

glad I found this thread. I bought a Jonsered 2255 same but red and it is also my first "good" saw. So far I too am enjoying using this over my past saws, 2 poulans 4218's. It is a big step up for me. Any reason to port these saws? Or just enjoy them as is?

Also would I see any step up in performance by switching to 18 inch bar? Or would that just be a waste of money, just switch to a good chain like the one recommended?

Just to update:
I've used the "Husqvarna 531300081 3/8-Inch Saw Chain Filing Kit" three times now. It's pretty darn nice. Still using the factory safety chain. I'm not sure I have the perfect chain when I'm done but it has kept this chain cutting just fine so far. It's a simple little tool that will make your chain last ATLEAST 10 times longer from what I can tell. It takes a little getting used to and you still have to think about your angles and watch how you are using it but it seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back