Husqared 3171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Reaction score
Last winter I bought a pile of Jonsered saws and stuff (two 2171's and a 920, as well as a bunch of parts, 2171 crankcase, and an incomplete 371xp)
The parts saws each had issues. The 2171 had the flywheel side of the case smashed up. The 371xp appeared good, until I noticed the tank mount was broken off the case.
So I decided it would be a good idea to combine the two. I got the cases split, bearings out, and put the project on hold. Fast forward to this fall\winter, and I got around to putting it together. All used OEM parts. Thanks to funkysawman for the last of the parts I needed.

The build list is as follows-
371 flywheel side case half
2171 clutch side case half
371xp OEM jug+piston
modded 372 muffler
2071 fuel tank
2071 clutch cover
372 handlebar, top cover, air filter
Walbro HD6 carburetor
beat up 371 recoil
Other generic small stuff as well.

The saw got a fresh carb rebuild, fuel line+filter, all new gaskets, seals and bearings.

Posted a few days ago with a question about the bottom end rebuild. This was my first case split\new bearings, so I think I was just being over-cautious about the crank not turning silky smooth. The culprit was the seals giving some resistance.

I finished putting it together today. Yes, it's ugly, yes it's pretty beat up looking.
Why? Because I wanted to see if I could, that's why. o_O Give myself the confidence to do a bottom end rebuild. If it went wrong, what the heck. If not, I got another running saw. It will probably end up being a truck saw. Don't think I could ever sell it to anyone.

Here's some pictures :picture:

We got a muffler
[photo="medium"]2315[/photo]

We got a 371xp jug and flywheel
[photo="medium"]2316[/photo]

We got an OEM 371xp piston
[photo="medium"]2322[/photo]

2071 non-side tensioner clutch cover
[photo="medium"]2317[/photo]

2071 fuel tank
[photo="medium"]2318[/photo]

Top cover
[photo="medium"]2319[/photo]

Starter
[photo="medium"]2320[/photo]

Yes, I know I have a messy bench :rolleyes:

Cases all together
[photo="medium"]2312[/photo]

Top end on
[photo="medium"]2313[/photo]

Oil pump and clutch on. Took a couple tries to get the O ring\bushing\oil pump deal correct.
[photo="medium"]2314[/photo]

Starting to look like a saw again
[photo="medium"]2323[/photo]

Chainbrake guts all together
[photo="medium"]2324[/photo]

Intake tract all together, HD6 carb all rebuilt, flywheel on.
Is there any advantages\disadvantages of the Walbro HD6 VS the HD12 carburetors? Besides the HD6 didn't have limiters on the jets...

[photo="medium"]2325[/photo]

[photo="medium"]2326[/photo]

That is one ugly saw, but I am impressed by your building skills, and determination. Hope it runs like a champ!

That's a beauty :cool::numberone:

, but at least try to find a HD-12 carb. The HD-6 has a smaller venturi, according to the Walbro part list.

A saw only a mother (builder?) could love :heart:

Well I do have an HD12 carb off the 2171, I just decided to rebuild the HD6 because the other carb was missing the throttle plate\rod, but I guess I could just swap the parts\rebuilt kit over and run the HD12.

Someone in my bearings question post asked what tank\handlebar combo this saw was going to use.
The Jonsered handlebar is straight and has to go with a Jonsered fuel tank. The Husqvarna handlebar is angled and has to go with a Husqvarna fuel tank. The reason is not the mount on the bottom, however, it's the side mount on the tank, the bolt holes are spaced differently.
Well, I had a good husky handlebar, and a good Jonsered fuel tank. I wasn't about to spend any more money on a new one of either.
So, I "made" the handlebar fit :D Total redneck repair fix

Fits good on the bottom
[photo="medium"]2328[/photo]

[photo="medium"]2327[/photo]

Had to drill two new holes for the top tank mount and the cylinder AV mount. It works!
[photo="medium"]2329[/photo]

Handlebar is slightly wonky, but I've seen worse bent handlebars being run!
[photo="medium"]2334[/photo]

Total redneck repair fix

Fits good on the bottom
Had to drill two new holes for the top tank mount and the cylinder AV mount. It works!
Handlebar is slightly wonky, but I've seen worse bent handlebars being run!
[photo="medium"]2334[/photo]

Now that is what I am talking about. Redneck repairs. :drinking::cheers::happy:

Finished product!
Big felling dawgs on an 18" Windsor bar. Seemed fitting for this saw :ices_rofl:
[photo="large"]2331[/photo]

[photo="medium"]2332[/photo]

[photo="medium"]2335[/photo]

If I find a good side tensioner clutch cover, I'd probably swap with the one off my 2171, as that one is cracked and uglier than this one :D
[photo="medium"]2333[/photo]

I thought about ditching the base gasket on this saw to bump compression up, but I decided not to, with the mixed case halves. Just in case.

Well I do have an HD12 carb off the 2171, I just decided to rebuild the HD6 because the other carb was missing the throttle plate\rod, but I guess I could just swap the parts\rebuilt kit over and run the HD12.
I don't trust that Walbro document 100%, so see if there are any two digit numbers close to the throttle bore of the carbs, before you do anything drastic....

Latest posts

Back