Husqvarna 136 exhaust port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I disassembled a decrepit Husqvarna 136 to find a hole melted in the top of the oil tank right below the seam in the muffler. Is this common?

It also has a scored piston. I think the cylinder is salvageable but any guidance is appreciated.

The exhaust port has a steel sleeve. Can anyone tell me its function?

The bearing block has no gasket, just sealant. Did it come that way from the factory?

At least it has a good spark and nearly new bar and chain.

Thanks for the help.

Don

I disassembled a decrepit Husqvarna 136 to find a hole melted in the top of the oil tank right below the seam in the muffler. Is this common?

Is there a crack in the seam? I would use some reflective tape underneath the muffler.

It also has a scored piston. I think the cylinder is salvageable but any guidance is appreciated.

Get some some sandpaper. Start with 100 and work your way to a fine grit.

I've never seen one. Pics would be great.

The bearing block has no gasket, just sealant. Did it come that way from the factory?

The bearing probably has a rubberized bushing/seal around it and then they applied a liquid sealant.

At least it has a good spark and nearly new bar and chain.

Thanks for the help.

Don

Hole melted in the top of the oil tank common - Yes

Cylinder Salvage - http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/how-to-remove-aluminum-transfer-without-acid.248325/

Exhaust port sleeve - wondered about that myself

Bearing block sealant only...no gasket...factory - Yes there are many products out there that folks recommend (Yamabond 4, Hondabond 4, Dirko, etc.)

Hole in the oil tank + scored piston = not worth fixing...IMHO

The muffler bolts can come loose, and if run that way things melt. I don't know what the purpose of the steel insert is on those (and the other Poulan engines they are used on). I've guessed that it may be intended to keep the exhaust temperatures higher for longer, but I'm not sure. I remove them if I port it, but not if the port is stock as it leaves a lip all the way around. On the other hand some engines have a lip all the way around like that from the factory, so who knows the right approach.

I really like my 142 (same basic saw in 40cc), but truthfully a scored saw with a melted case doesn't sound worth rebuilding. They are pretty common on eBay.

Thanks for all the great responses. I know it is a junky saw with bad problems, and not worth the effort, but I am in it for the education.

I think I can smooth the melted area on the tank, drill out the hole and plug it with a bolt and some nitrile washers. Then I will add some reflective tape. The muffler was tight when I got it but it may have been loose earlier.

I have has success in the past with cleaning a piston and cylinder and just using a new ring. For now that is my plan for this saw. I guess that is about as much as it is worth.

Regarding the sleeve in the exhaust port, my similar construction Poulan, a 295, doesn't have one. I will see if I can get a photo with my handicapped camera (limited macro capability. Or is it an operator problem?)

Again, thanks to all. Don

Thanks for all the great responses. I know it is a junky saw with bad problems, and not worth the effort, but I am in it for the education.

I think I can smooth the melted area on the tank, drill out the hole and plug it with a bolt and some nitrile washers. Then I will add some reflective tape. The muffler was tight when I got it but it may have been loose earlier.

I have has success in the past with cleaning a piston and cylinder and just using a new ring. For now that is my plan for this saw. I guess that is about as much as it is worth.

Regarding the sleeve in the exhaust port, my similar construction Poulan, a 295, doesn't have one. I will see if I can get a photo with my handicapped camera (limited macro capability. Or is it an operator problem?)

Again, thanks to all. Don
Interesting. I have seen some later 42cc cylinders that don't have them, but my older ones do. Also, my 46cc 2775 is the same basic saw as your 295 and it does have the steel insert (well, it did before I ported it). So perhaps they dropped it somewhere along the way.

I wonder if any of the similar poulan crankcase and cylinder assemblies would drop into the husqv 136 case. Like a wilething or a 46cc craftsman. Anyone?
The WildThing will not. The 46cc Poulan/Craftsman ones will ;).

There are quite a few different models of the 46cc from Poulan, Poulan Pro and Craftsman. I believe it has been done and would make a ripping little saw. The only thing I can think of that would be fussy is that the impulse fitting is different. The 136-142 use a projecting plastic tube on the carb mount that seals to a rubber donut in the cylinder. The 46cc use a brass fitting that projects out of the cylinder and goes into the carb mount. So you would need the carb mount too.

46cc style cylinder:
IMG_5695-800.jpg
Carb mounts - the one on the left is the 136 type with the impulse tube in the mount. The one on the right is the later 46cc (it also is the "Super Clean" type without the turbo scoop):
IMG_5488-800.jpg

Thanks Chris. I believe I have the necessary parts from a Poulan Pro 46cc from a 295 project, which turned out to be a dandy little saw. This 136 has a nice new husqv 14-inch bar and chain (maybe the original), quite a bit more delicate than the 14-inch poulan bar on my 295. It should make an even tighter package. And orange!

And there was a 49cc version of this engine too....... :rolleyes: They are rare and parts are not available anymore.

A fella nearby was advertising a modern 49cc craftsman on Craigslist. Maybe the same thing?
Gee, I dunno - the ones that would be compatible would be the Poulan Pro PP310, PP315 and Poulan 3050, at least as far as I know. They are all older saws now. I had picked up a PP315 parts saw, but it was total junk. I cleaned up the P&C as best I could and ported it, and it really ran. Then it ate a circlip and I learned something about rebuilding engines!

Gee, I dunno - the ones that would be compatible would be the Poulan Pro PP310, PP315 and Poulan 3050, at least as far as I know. They are all older saws now. I had picked up a PP315 parts saw, but it was total junk. I cleaned up the P&C as best I could and ported it, and it really ran. Then it ate a circlip and I learned something about rebuilding engines!
So what did you learn from that? Check your clips twice? or was it something about the porting that made it throw the clip?

So what did you learn from that? Check your clips twice? or was it something about the porting that made it throw the clip?
Yeah, it was just the clip itself was not tight - I guess it had sprung a little and I reused it. You could clearly see where the loose clip had pounded and polished the groove until it wore it out, and then the clip came lose. At those rpms even a little clip is a big hammer if it is not tight to the piston.

Back