husqvarna 161 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
I have just started work on a Husqvarna 161 which doesn't have a spark, it appears to have a two piece ignition module (blue I think?) photos to follow tonight. I was wandering if any particular part is still available? I'm guessing the module rigged up towards the rear of the saw is a trigger module? and could this be swapped for one of those SIG type trigger modules? I did also notice that there's only one wire going to the kill switch, is this normal? I did pull that wire off and check for a spark, but still no joy. i doubt both parts of the ignition module would fail at the same time as it would be nice to discover which is the culprit, if any? I have re-gapped the flywheel to coil with a business card and would think this should be enough to create a spark unless the husky's are very low tolerance regarding gaps? thanks in advance cd

I have just started work on a Husqvarna 161 which doesn't have a spark, it appears to have a two piece ignition module (blue I think?) photos to follow tonight. I was wandering if any particular part is still available? I'm guessing the module rigged up towards the rear of the saw is a trigger module? and could this be swapped for one of those SIG type trigger modules? I did also notice that there's only one wire going to the kill switch, is this normal? I did pull that wire off and check for a spark, but still no joy. i doubt both parts of the ignition module would fail at the same time as it would be nice to discover which is the culprit, if any? I have re-gapped the flywheel to coil with a business card and would think this should be enough to create a spark unless the husky's are very low tolerance regarding gaps? thanks in advance cd
I had the same last year on a 154se. Turned out that the wire to the spark plug cap had broken inside the plastic outer which I could not see. Only became apparent as I could feel a very minor kink through the cable and when in certain positions or bending it would fire up...

My 154se also has only one wire to the kill switch, think it uses the crankcase as the ground back to the coil which is mounted to the crankcase with clean metal to metal contact on mine.

I had the same last year on a 154se. Turned out that the wire to the spark plug cap had broken inside the plastic outer which I could not see. Only became apparent as I could feel a very minor kink through the cable and when in certain positions or bending it would fire up...

My 154se also has only one wire to the kill switch, think it uses the crankcase as the ground back to the coil which is mounted to the crankcase with clean metal to metal contact on mine.
I will check that out thanks ;o)

photos of the 161

Attachments

• husqvarna 161 006.JPG
    husqvarna 161 006.JPG
    667.3 KB · Views: 32
  • husqvarna 161 005.JPG
    husqvarna 161 005.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 25
  • husqvarna 161 003.JPG
    husqvarna 161 003.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 25
  • husqvarna 161 001.JPG
    husqvarna 161 001.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 25
  • husqvarna 161 004.JPG
    husqvarna 161 004.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 20
161? Or 162... I find its usually the module that goes, there are reasonably priced aftermarket ones out there, not sure about getting them to U.K. though.

161? Or 162... I find its usually the module that goes, there are reasonably priced aftermarket ones out there, not sure about getting them to U.K. though.
its a 162, when you refer to the module are you referring to the main ignition coil or trigger module ? cd

Trigger module.
FYI the coil from a 181/288/42/242 will also work on these and the module from same can be adapted with a little work.
IIRC you can mount the module with one screw with no modification, good if you just want to borrow it from a saw to confirm where the failure lies.

Trigger module.
FYI the coil from a 181/288/42/242 will also work on these and the module from same can be adapted with a little work.
IIRC you can mount the module with one screw with no modification, good if you just want to borrow it from a saw to confirm where the failure lies.
thanks bud ;o) but would one of those SIG types work as well ? the one you can use use for electronic ignition conversions, like the nova ? I know the sig works on the old partner chainsaws with duel ignition and the stihl 032 with a trigger module. cd. only one way to find out I suppose ;o)

Back