Husqvarna 181SE Top End?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Man!!!

Saw Music
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my Husqvarna 181SE top end to a larger 288 54mm, and I have to make a decision on whether to use OEM or aftermarket cylinder and piston kit, the OEM costs $350 where a good aftermarket cost $130.

I need some suggestions as which to use OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket what name brand?

One of the down sides I see to using OEM is it doesn't have the de-compression valve and as most know the 54mm will be a little on the tough side to start.

Please give me some good advice.

Thanks......

Is there anything wrong with the original cylinder? They have a small combustion chamber and make a fine running saw.

I wanted a 288 when I purchased the 181SE. I run a 36" bar and was having problems with damage to the piston I could see when viewing through the exhaust port. Plus the 181 cylinder does't have a compression valve which the 288 replacement will have. Should make starting much easier.

I wanted a 288 when I purchased the 181SE. I run a 36" bar and was having problems with damage to the piston I could see when viewing through the exhaust port. Plus the 181 cylinder does't have a compression valve which the 288 replacement will have. Should make starting much easier.

I may have have a OEM 181SE cylinder for sale, provided when I pull it, it is in good condition.

Find a used OEM cylinder and use a Meteor piston...trust me. You will be about the same money and have OEM performance and quality.

So, now I'm confused one says use Meteor piston with a OEM cylinder and the next guy says not to use aftermarket piston (jug) with OEM cylinder.

I have obtained a OEM 288 cylinder, now I need a piston kit. What do I use OEM piston or quality aftermarket like Meteor piston?????

Meteor is AM but is of equal quality to OEM. Meteor is a supplier of OEM piston for many motor applications in European scooters, and in air compressors...and other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

I am in the process of rebuilding my Husqvarna 181SE top end to a larger 288 54mm, and I have to make a decision on whether to use OEM or aftermarket cylinder and piston kit, the OEM costs $350 where a good aftermarket cost $130.

I need some suggestions as which to use OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket what name brand?

One of the down sides I see to using OEM is it doesn't have the de-compression valve and as most know the 54mm will be a little on the tough side to start.

Please give me some good advice.

Thanks......

A good aftermarket cylinder?????:confused:

I didn't mean to imply you need an OEM piston. Meteor is fine. 288 cylinders have great compression and port timing, using an AM cylinder when a decent used OEM is available would be a waste of a really good saw

I didn't mean to imply you need an OEM piston. Meteor is fine. 288 cylinders have great compression and port timing, using an AM cylinder when a decent used OEM is available would be a waste of a really good saw
I sent the OP the used OEM one today. He will be set in that aspect. It all fins, nice threads in every hole, and great chrome. I talked to the OP personally and he is kinda set on a Meteor piston. I told him I used a few with excellent results.

I sent the OP the used OEM one today. He will be set in that aspect. It all fins, nice threads in every hole, and great chrome. I talked to the OP personally and he is kinda set on a Meteor piston. I told him I used a few with excellent results.

Meteor pistons are fine, he better stay with that plan! :)

Latest posts

Back