Husqvarna 2100 vs 2101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrguenth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm fairly new here, been lurking for awhile. Just the lurking was enough to make me cave and buy a 2101. I've searched all through the site but wasn't able to find any info re: the differences between the two models. What changed between 2100 and 2101? To make things more complex, the guy I bought the saw from called it a "2101W" which he says is a 2100 that's been upgraded... Probably questions I should have been asking BEFORE buying the saw, but here we are... So, does anyone know the difference, and has anyone heard of a 2101W, and does anyone know what service manual I should use? Any help, or even words of encouragement would be much appreciated... :dizzy:

Nate

Husqvarna 357XP
Stihl MS192CE (actually it's my wife's...)
Husqvarna 2100CD/2101W (coming soon...)

Haven't heard of a 2101W. But there are very few differences between the saws if any at all.

I would guess the "W" meant it had full wrap handle. Whether or not Husqvarna used it then, I don't know, but a guy selling it might.

Right - and I don't think they did - just 2101xp, regardless of handlebar style.

I have never heard of any differences between the 2100 and 2101xp (except the labels), but the 298xp is a bit different.....

Last edited:
I thought the 2101 used thinner rings on the piston then the 2100 did?

If the saw was from out here I'd guess the W stood for Walkerized, but maybe the W stands for Wisconsin modified?

Can you take pictures of it and post them?

I have not found any differences either.. as far as I know all the parts will interchange seamlessly. Its possible that the 2101 underwent an EPA tweak, like jetting or something.

Either way, you bought a great saw. I hope you've got some big trees to cut!

I thought the 2101 used thinner rings on the piston then the 2100 did?

If the saw was from out here I'd guess the W stood for Walkerized, but maybe the W stands for Wisconsin modified?

Can you take pictures of it and post them?

Well, actually it did come from BC. It was an Ebay auction. I can't take pics as I don't have it yet. But there are some pics in the auction Here

If you want pics of specific parts it'll have to wait until it gets here. Let me just say I'm pretty much bouncing off the walls to get this saw fired up... :chainsaw:

About the only difference I can think of it that the 2100 uses a rubber A/V mount on the front at the felling dog and the 2101 uses a spring.

This may have just been an inline change that started with the later 2100s though.

That looks like a 2100CD to me. I don't buy the W designation at all, the difference between a 2100 an a 2101 is a sticker. If it has an XP decal on the hood it probably came off another saw or the whole thing could just be a parts bastard but that isn't what matters. What really matters is does it have a thin ring piston in it, pull the muffler and find out.

The XP or CD designation doesn't tell which piston is in it BTW.

the husky 2100/2101 is basicly the same saw.

it ran from 1976-1990.

there were alot of little changes along the way, but nothing major.
the bore/stroke remained the same through out.

it looks like chain brakes werent available until 1979 and these, along with the non chain brake clutch covers had small changes along the way, for example there is a different chain brake handle to work with the full wrap handle.

the second muffler option came along about 1979, this is a bigger port muffler, mounted on the front lower part of the muffler cover.

the extra rubber anti vibe, that mounts from the crank case to the felling dog was added in about 1980, and latter became a spring type(like on husky 288's) in 1987, which was when they started calling them a 2101.

in about 1983, they introduced a reinforced crankcase, which required 2 screws, that hold the 2 halves together, to be 5mm longer.

in late 1983 they introduced a new cylinder, which when mounted on an older case, requires a small post in the case to be modified. the piston with this new cylinder now has steel rings as apposed to cast iron.

this saw just evolved, as market needs dictated and problems arose. along with part numbers changing along the way, which i guess means small modifications.

the one thing im having trouble with, is identifing the thin rings and thin ring piston. im not sure how these were ordered when in the original saw, and if there is a different part number for this piston/ring????

i had a quick look at your saw and a couple of things i saw.

the recoil starter housing is off a 2100CD,
the chain brake/clutch cover is off a 2101, this type didnt show up till 1987
the wrap handle may be of a different saw???? it doesnt seem to be the correct shape for a 2100/2101.

enjoy your saw. :cheers:

cheers, Serg

Last edited:
They both eat stihls for breakfast:laugh:

I have a very good condition 2100 with unbelieveable compression and until recently had an 066 magnum dual port. I ran them both against each other running 32" bars with 3/8 chisel. The 066 was slightly faster in the 16-20" stuff but as the wood got bigger the 2100 was the better saw. It seems to pull very hard. The wood was a large ash that was a stormfall.

I have a very good condition 2100 with unbelieveable compression and until recently had an 066 magnum dual port. I ran them both against each other running 32" bars with 3/8 chisel. The 066 was slightly faster in the 16-20" stuff but as the wood got bigger the 2100 was the better saw. It seems to pull very hard. The wood was a large ash that was a stormfall.

Yeah hoss, just playing around but for as old as my 2101 is
it is a monster of a saw, mine sports a 36" b&c and 404 pitch
chain and seems to pull it good.

:cheers:

the recoil starter housing is off a 2100CD,
the chain brake/clutch cover is off a 2101, this type didnt show up till 1987
the wrap handle may be of a different saw???? it doesnt seem to be the correct shape for a 2100/2101.

enjoy your saw. :cheers:

cheers, Serg

You surely have done your homework on those saws - great post!!!

Just a thought - am I right that the saw may be a 298xp with a 2100 recoil? - that was a pretty common warrenty replacement, as the 298 starters tended to fail......

Last edited:

Just a thought - am I right that the saw may be a 298xp with a 2100 recoil? - that was a pretty common warrenty replacement, as the 298 starters tended to fail......

im not very familar with the 298xp, but i believe they don't have a manual oiler....the pics of "nrguenth's" saw definately show one.

another thing, i think the muffler is from a 2100, as there looks to be a slight change in the front plate when they became the 2101 in 1987... not talking about the 2 diffferent types of mufflers available(different ports/jungle type)but just the ribbing in the front cover......

Nope the 298XP did not have a manual oiler as uninformed mentioned. They look very similar other than that. The 298Xp was a limited edition and a bit revier than the torquey 2100 series.:cheers:

Nope the 298XP did not have a manual oiler as uninformed mentioned. They look very similar other than that. The 298Xp was a limited edition and a bit revier than the torquey 2100 series.:cheers:

I have read about that oiler missing on the 298 before - actually I am totally unfamiliar with those saws, just going on what I have read on the net - thereby the :confused:

Last edited:

is your 2100 still rev limited? i dont knowwhat the 066's WOT is but my 2100 will rev 12,500 WOT( but i don't recommend it nor do i do it often...)???

is your 2100 still rev limited? i dont knowwhat the 066's WOT is but my 2100 will rev 12,500 WOT( but i don't recommend it nor do i do it often...)???

My 2100 revs to about 12,500 (WOT freespeed) too I believe. I'll have to check it with a tach again to be sure, but I think so. The 066 I believe turns 13,500-14,000 in some cases. I think mine was around 13,500.

My 2100 revs to about 12,500 (WOT freespeed) too I believe. I'll have to check it with a tach again to be sure, but I think so. The 066 I believe turns 13,500-14,000 in some cases. I think mine was around 13,500.

Ayup - mine too. Dealer tach'd it there too...

Nikko

Back