Husqvarna 268 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw just stopped running. The mounting location of coil was cleaned and sand papered. Will try your suggestion on the case bolts, sounds like you are on the right track. Thanks

Cantdog

Tried your suggestion on ground, remove cyl bolt, clean and reinstall. Reset aig gap on coil and spark plug. Still no spark. Next step is to buy a new ignition coil and hope for the best.

Tried your suggestion on ground, remove cyl bolt, clean and reinstall. Reset aig gap on coil and spark plug. Still no spark. Next step is to buy a new ignition coil and hope for the best.

Sure hope that works for you. I can't for the life of me think any other reason for so many coil failures. I have several of those coils that are 15-18 yrs old and still work perfect even though the plug wires are getting kinda ratty..........How about where the plug threads in to the cyl is the area where the gasket on the plug bottoms out clean?? Just trying to think of any other places where high resistance could occur. HMMMMMM.......I going over to the shop and check something out be back in a bit.

OK two more stupid questions, are both your flywheel magnets working and have strong magnetism?? The other question is, the cyl bolt you cleaned was it on the flywheel side of the case or the clutch side?
Got the wrong books from the shop and ended up with operators manuals for the earlier 2 piece ign. I'll look tomorrow at the IPLs and service manuals.:cheers:

Come daylight I will check the flywheel magnets. Looking at the flywheel, I removed and cleaned the bolt at right rear of cylinder, easiest one to get to, also checked the other 3 to make sure they were snug. The threaded hole for spark plug is clean and should make good ground.

Come daylight I will check the flywheel magnets. Looking at the flywheel, I removed and cleaned the bolt at right rear of cylinder, easiest one to get to, also checked the other 3 to make sure they were snug. The threaded hole for spark plug is clean and should make good ground.

Still a little confused "looking at the flywheel right rear" The reason I asked is to make sure the one you cleaned was in the same case half as the coil is grounded to. That would assure shortest ground path with the least possible parts involved. On your coil do you have a green wire connected to one of the coil mounting bolts?

Ther cylinder bolt that was cleaned is on the same side of case as the flywheel. Ignition coil does not have a ground wire attached, it is grounded by the two mounting screws. The kill switch wire is attached to rear of coil by spade connection and the only other wire is ,of course, the plug wire. How critical is the air gap adjustment for coil and spark plug. Would voltage from coil be effected by a too large or too small air gap?

Ther cylinder bolt that was cleaned is on the same side of case as the flywheel. Ignition coil does not have a ground wire attached, it is grounded by the two mounting screws. The kill switch wire is attached to rear of coil by spade connection and the only other wire is ,of course, the plug wire. How critical is the air gap adjustment for coil and spark plug. Would voltage from coil be effected by a too large or too small air gap?

HMMM the ones I have all have a separate short green ground wire that attaches to the lower mounting bolt, perhaps not an issue just an older version. Here's another thought when you mount your new coil perhaps you could run a separate ground wire from the coil ground to the cyl base bolt you cleaned just to make certain there is no loss of ground. With an ohm meter you should have a reading of 0.000 resistance between the coil mount and the spark plug base. The general killer of electronic igns is usually a result of the generated spark having no place to go (spark plug not grounded etc).
The air gap on the coil is fairly critical, plug not so much as long as it's not huge. As said 0.010"-0.012" for the coil, 0,020"-0.024" for the plug should work fine. Still thinkin........:cheers:

I've rechecked everything from air gap to proper grounding, still no spark. Now, a new coil from the local dealer is $85.00 plus shipping plus sales tax comes to about $110.00. Same price at the local independent service centers. If the dealer installs the coil the price is $l50.00, $130.00 at the independents. How does that compare with prices in your area? I've spent as much or more money on coils than I would have on the purchase of a new saw.. At my age, 72 years, I probably should not be using a chainsaw.

What spark plug are you running? How about the plug gap. Too wide is hard on the coil. I suggest using a resistor type plug. Be sure not to crank the engine over with the igniton switched on with the plug wire off.

What spark plug are you running? How about the plug gap. Too wide is hard on the coil. I suggest using a resistor type plug. Be sure not to crank the engine over with the igniton switched on with the plug wire off.

The plug is Bosch R10. What happens if the engine is cranked with the spark plug wire not attached and switch on?

The plug is Bosch R10. What happens if the engine is cranked with the spark plug wire not attached and switch on?

Same thing as you are experiencing now. Toasted coil. As I 've said in a couple of earlier posts a generated spark with no place to go (read that as NO ground) will kill a coil especially if the saw is at running speed when ground is lost. Which brings us back to perhaps you adding a dedicated ground wire from your coil ground point to your clean cyl base bolt. It is either that or pull the cyl and clean the threaded holes for the base bolts, the bolts themselves and the cyl base thoroughly and reassemble to make sure of the ground connection between the case and cyl.

Baileys is probably the least expensive place to get a new OEM coil. You must be handy at replacing them yourself by now.:deadhorse:

I can't even find any info on the R10, except something about a 1971 Renault. LOL !
That reminds me...
My Mom bought one of those Renault Le Car. Her first brand new car.
Inside of one month, someone cut her off and she bailed into a parking lot.
She had no choice but to try to squeeze between two parked cars. The Le Car was really small, but not small enough. She peeled both sides of the car off on her way through. LOL ! Sorry for the tangent. More nothing to do with nothing. Too many PBRs tonight. LOL !

LeCar.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back