Husqvarna 268 problems. Could use some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmfg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a husky 268 that Ive been working on and its got me stumped, I've exhuasted most options that I can think of.. I figured I would try here for some help before I just part it. Ill start from when I got the saw to what I have done.

I got the saw from a customer, stated he couldnt get it to start, but it was running great last time he had it. I took saw in trade for a new unit.

1. I checked compression it was a good 130psi+, checked spark it was good, so I tried to start it. Obviously it didnt run, so I pulled the carb (tilly) and got it in the cleaner over night, and rebuilt it. After I reinstalled the carb it still wouldnt start.

2. Pulled plug and checked for spark on plug, plug was firing, but was soaked in fuel, so bad it was literly pouring out of the exhuast after only a couple pulls.

3. I pulled carb again and went through the carb, It was very clean. I checked the needle, it looks perfect. So I adjusted the needle fork to make sure it was closing. Then I replaced the fuel line, and fuel filter. as it was going bad anyways.

4. Installed carb again. Still the same problem. Very wet plug and it wont start, heck doesnt even pop...

The diaphram has to go on top of the gasket. The diaphram pin has to be placed into the fork. You're welcome.

That how I have it, diaphram is against top plate, with the gasket directly on the carb. the pin is in the needle fork

I had that same saw and it had broken the key on the crankshaft and jumped time.

If you find that the carb is OK you might pop the flywheel and take a look.

I didnt pull the flywheel off, but I did a rough check on timing and it seemed okay. I will have to pull the wheel completly I suppose.

Alright, I pulled the flywheel and its fine, the key is there and its firing as it should. I pressure tested the carb and it held pressure just fine, the jets are both 1 turn out from seat..

There is a hole that leads from the back of the carb to the cyl. Im assuming that is the pulse line, that also seemed to be clear..

Inlet valve lever sets level with the carb. Pull diaphgram and gasket lay straight edge across the top of inlet lever bend until it barely touches. Make sure you get the tit on the diaphgram in the slot on the inlet lever. Also 130 will/should run but it's low should/needs to be 150+.
Shep

pull the jug. stuck ring.
dl

Ill go ahead and pull the jug in the morning, hone it, and put it back together and see what happens, what makes you say a stuck ring when I pull a decent compression number?

Inlet valve lever sets level with the carb. Pull diaphgram and gasket lay straight edge across the top of inlet lever bend until it barely touches. Make sure you get the tit on the diaphgram in the slot on the inlet lever. Also 130 will/should run but it's low should/needs to be 150+.
Shep

I confirmed the level earlier today, its still giving me the same result. lots of fuel and it still wont even pop.. I feel like I am running out of things to do here..

I stopped pulling at 130 psi it might have gone higher, I just wanted to confirm it had enough to start. Besides that I have seen plenty of saws run just fine at 130psi.. I just had two 026's in that ran like a top and were putting out 130psi on the gauge.

Take 5 minutes and pull your muffler and look at your piston and rings, your just wasting time and money doing anything else first.

Take 5 minutes and pull your muffler and look at your piston and rings, your just wasting time and money doing anything else first.

I pulled the jug before I left today, P&C are in great shape, rings are alittle worn, but nothing special..

One other possibility. I had a 009 that was in good shape, but would not run. I could see fire on the plug just fine, but finally decided that perhaps it was weak. I put a new ignition module on it and it cranked on the first pull. It absolutely would not hit a lick before.

Seems like even if it's flooding it would hit a time or two.

Alright, I pulled the jug and honed it, I put it back together and got checked compression its a tad over 150psi. I suppose Im going to go ahead and try a coil as Im starting to wondering if its carb..

try a carb off a known good running saw, hows ur adjustments on the carb you have now ? , I know as little as a 1/16 of a turn on the L screw can make a world of difference in starting

I dont have anything in right now that shares a carb, Ive got it 1 turn out right now which should be the base settings..

Hey lpmfg........I know you have had fire to the plug with it out but have you tried a new or known good plug?? I have had them fire great in the open air but not under compression.....just a thought and easy elimination. I hate to be outwitted sparkplug!!

Is this the two piece ign or the one piece???

Do you think it's flooding because of to much fuel or just not firing what it gets?? The reason I ask is, I went through the same type of thing with a guy on here about a yr ago.....had a 49sp wouldn't start..rebuilt the carb and then had it apart several times. We talked on the thread a number of times...PMs too. His was flooding badly though..gas running out of the carb etc. His problem in the end was a weak spring on the fuel inlet lever..just wouldn't hold the valve on the seat hard enough...again just a thought.....

Back