Husqvarna 272xp vs 372xp tell me everything!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
Reaction score
Are there any discernable differences between the two. Anything more favorable. Also what a normal price to pay for one.

Thanks, Austin

Totally different animals. Come up for a day you can run them side by side.

Very similar weight, totally different balance and feel. I like both, the 272 is a simple design and the 372 is just more modern.

Prices vary from 200-400 for 272's and usually 300-500 for 372's.

Steven

I will admit the side chain adjuster and easier air filter access on the 372 are nice.

The 272 even though it weighs the same as the 372. To me feels more maneuverable and maybe a touch lighter when using. The 372 is smoooooth and the newer xtorq is even better in that department.

Steven

I'm about an hour south of springfield, how bout you? And thanks for the input, I'm all for simple designs. I'd like to get a 72xp husky to replace my 029 super and there is a 272xp for sale local for 325, it's from one of those guys that buys saws fixes them up and resells them. It's not minty but it ain't bad looking either.

To be honest I was looking for a 372XP you can actually still buy it new. Bout 900 but I'd prefer to get one used as I don't like buying new saws. I really, like the high top air filter

Going to be a long drive hahaha I'm 45min west of Rockford.

I have both and have sold a few of each. That's not a bad price. I just sold one that was in that kind of shape for $250. So he is in the ballpark.

The high top can be added to any 362,365 or 372 easily. I have both high and low and haven't seen a performance difference between them. It's a personal preference thing. High top looks better, low top is more out of the way. They both stay clean for a very long time. The 372's don't suck much into the air filter area.

Steven

there is no comparison, whie they are made by the same manufacturer the design of the 372 has everything better going for it. also i own both the OE and XT 372. the XT is not as smooth as the OE. still smoother then a 272 by far but it definitely has a heavier rotating assembly creating the vibrations.

there is no comparison, whie they are made by the same manufacturer the design of the 372 has everything better going for it. also i own both the OE and XT 372. the XT is not as smooth as the OE. still smoother then a 272 by far but it definitely has a heavier rotating assembly creating the vibrations.
Do you do your felling with a 372? I bet youve put an hour or two on one then haha

yes i run the 372's. i run them with a 36" stihl light. light saber in the woods and tree's piss there roots on my walk up the hill lol i also have a few 390's i run in bigger wood. i like the 390's more but the 372's are great for second growth.

yes i run the 372's. i run them with a 36" stihl light. light saber in the woods and tree's piss there roots on my walk up the hill lol i also have a few 390's i run in bigger wood. i like the 390's more but the 372's are great for second growth.
Have you had any trouble with premature failure that was entirely the fault of the saw? There's actually a guy on Craigslist near me that has a 390xp brand new never fueled for 900 I bet he's negotiable since it's been listed for a few months

here in Canada the stihl orange bottles are $14.49. on my contractor account i get them for $10.49. if i buy 4 i get $9.49. if i buy 4 cases or more i get them for $9

Have you had any trouble with premature failure that was entirely the fault of the saw? There's actually a guy on Craigslist near me that has a 390xp brand new never fueled for 900 I bet he's negotiable since it's been listed for a few months

in the states you'd be silly to pay that. Terry Lndrum at wicked work saws can give you close to that same price with a warranty.

no failures yet, i've only been falling just over a year and not even full time. this new year is gonna be great though. i've fixed one heck of alot of saws. none of them were mine though lol. mine are so well maintained they go a shift without a hickup and then get another maintenance session. many guys just run them til they break and then whine cause they broke. lol

I'm a firm believer in if you take care of your equipment it will return the favor. I actually got quoted 919 for a 372XP with a 28 bar and chain with a 1 year warranty. 2 years if I bought some premix I was kind of shocked, that's full blown retail. I don't need one that bad, but I would buy one used.

I'm a firm believer in if you take care of your equipment it will return the favor. I actually got quoted 919 for a 372XP with a 28 bar and chain with a 1 year warranty. 2 years if I bought some premix I was kind of shocked, that's full blown retail. I don't need one that bad, but I would buy one used.

keep a look out on local classifieds. they can be had for a good price used if you look and are willing to wait for the right deal. if your not a professional cutter it makes no sense to buy a new professional saw. many would disagree but they make homeowner saws for a reason.

I will admit the side chain adjuster and easier air filter access on the 372 are nice.

The 272 even though it weighs the same as the 372. To me feels more maneuverable and maybe a touch lighter when using. The 372 is smoooooth and the newer xtorq is even better in that department.

Steven

The 272 surely is the better handling saw, because of the outboard clutch design - but as it looks to me it looses on every other account. The basic design is 20 years older, and those were important years in chainsaw development.

keep a look out on local classifieds. they can be had for a good price used if you look and are willing to wait for the right deal. if your not a professional cutter it makes no sense to buy a new professional saw. many would disagree but they make homeowner saws for a reason.
I have a lot of professional saws and I prefer them, but I also know that I don't need a new one, I'm just looking to replace my 029 super with a 372XP. I have a jonsered cs2159 and I like it plenty. I am always on the lookout for the best quality I can get. If I can get a pretty nice used 372 it will easily last the rest of my life (I have a lot of saws in my rotation) thanks for your input, it's nice to know that somebody who has put a lot of hours on one still likes them

I have a lot of professional saws and I prefer them, but I also know that I don't need a new one, I'm just looking to replace my 029 super with a 372XP. I have a jonsered cs2159 and I like it plenty. I am always on the lookout for the best quality I can get. If I can get a pretty nice used 372 it will easily last the rest of my life (I have a lot of saws in my rotation) thanks for your input, it's nice to know that somebody who has put a lot of hours on one still likes them

you could get rid of all your saws and i bet you could afford a brand new 372. it would do anything you needed it to and last you a lifetime. i'm a professional cutter and i only own 7 saws. 4 372's and 3 390's. my bad, 9 saws. i forgot about the stihls. if i had more they would just take up space for nothing like the stihls lol. i have a buddy who's been cutting cords of firewood for people for 15 years and has never had a job besides that. he's been running the same 372 since he started and i've been the only one to maintain it. as far as i remember the only thing i've ever done to it were minor tune ups (plug/fuel filter/sprocket/retune) and i replaced to oiler worm gear once. i personally like putting alot of hours on one saw rather then having to many then i know what to do with. i'm not a collector of tools though so i don't have CAD.

you could get rid of all your saws and i bet you could afford a brand new 372. it would do anything you needed it to and last you a lifetime. i'm a professional cutter and i only own 7 saws. 4 372's and 3 390's. my bad, 9 saws. i forgot about the stihls. if i had more they would just take up space for nothing like the stihls lol. i have a buddy who's been cutting cords of firewood for people for 15 years and has never had a job besides that. he's been running the same 372 since he started and i've been the only one to maintain it. as far as i remember the only thing i've ever done to it were minor tune ups (plug/fuel filter/sprocket/retune) and i replaced to oiler worm gear once. i personally like putting alot of hours on one saw rather then having to many then i know what to do with. i'm not a collector of tools though so i don't have CAD.
I'm a collector of tools, I have more money in hand tools (I'm an auto mechanic) than I have in my gto by almost double. I also have a lot of saws for collecting but I also have newer dedicated firewood saws. Thanks for the help

Austin

Back