Husqvarna 272xp vs 372xp tell me everything!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a collector of tools, I have more money in hand tools (I'm an auto mechanic) than I have in my gto by almost double. I also have a lot of saws for collecting but I also have newer dedicated firewood saws. Thanks for the help

Austin

i'm an auto mechanic as well. i quit that and went into marine and small engines, quit that and now i'm a faller. i'm happy knowing i got 2 backup plans in case the forest industry goes for ****. new mechanics and their reliance on computers make me sick. i mean diagnostic tools are a necessity for modern day vehicles but they make mechanics what i call "parts changers". no real skill. computer diagnosis tells them which part to change. they don't even have to think lol. you would think a guy would eventually learn the symptoms of faulty parts and be able to do it himself. lots give off the same symptoms but damn. the last 2 shops i worked for before i quit were a joke!!!

One of the interesting debates...272 vs. 372xp original edition. To me the 372xp OE with its better anti vib system, inboard clutch, and better cylinder design is a significant upgrade. The 372xp OE cylinder is a "quad" port design and also has more cross sectional area in the transfers than the 272's...more power. A little more stroke on the 372 (more bore on the 272 is 52mm, the 372 50mm) which is interesting. My guess is to get better primary compression characteristics to feed those bigger transfers, but you never know with those engineers. One of the issues the older 266/268/272 class saw had was heat to the carbs through the mounting screws. The carb/heat issue is one I've HEARD about but never experienced BTW...:) The rubber intake boot arraignment both isolates the 372 carb better for both heat and vibration. Just little stuff like that through out the saw makes the 372 one of the best designs ever. The inboard vs. outboard clutch is another of those endless debates. Inboard clutches have some advantages like having less distance from the bar centerline to the edge of the clutch cover.. but the outboard clutch keeps that heat away from the cases AND to some make the saw theoretically handle better. I think thats a subjective thing. For me the ease of changing the chain or bar & chain removal/replacement is an advantage. It is something done frequently AND its a lot easier with the inboard clutch like the 372 and BTW many of the pro level Stihl's have. JUST an opinion. Actually for me the 268 was a bit more rugged than the 272's, a little less bore, more wall thickness in the cylinders. NOT a lot less power. A good 268xp is a great saw. BUT nostalgia aside, the 372xp and all its derivatives are better in many ways to live with..in my most humble opinion. I have both and spent time with both..372xp-ash.jpg268ash1.jpg

If you get this far....wow, no body reads the addendum! Last but not least. 372xp X-Torq. They are heavier than the 372xp OE. Have more vibration....use less fuel. Had more issues. Better than a 272/268? Not as clear cut but yes. AND the parts are current and available. That brings up another issue.....the 266/268/272 series have been obsolete for quite some time, and while variants are still being produced; parts aren't as easy to find at places like your local dealer. Both 372xp Original editions and the newer current X-Torq versions are plentiful and commonplace. Husqvarna dealers are likely to stock whatever you need. For the enthusiast, the 272's are EASY to work on, but so are 372's. Also there is Aftermarket support for the 272's and actually sometimes that is the best option. But there is also for 372's. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and available for the entire 372 series and for that reason even for the enthusiast the 372 offers more opportunity......bottom line? Unless your into nostalgia, the 372xp OE and even the XT are a better place to invest time and money in ..again..my humble opinion...and that's before getting into resale...

One of the interesting debates...272 vs. 372xp original edition. To me the 372xp OE with its better anti vib system, inboard clutch, and better cylinder design is a significant upgrade. The 372xp OE cylinder is a "quad" port design and also has more cross sectional area in the transfers than the 272's...more power. A little more stroke on the 372 (more bore on the 272 is 52mm, the 372 50mm) which is interesting. My guess is to get better primary compression characteristics to feed those bigger transfers, but you never know with those engineers. One of the issues the older 266/268/272 class saw had was heat to the carbs through the mounting screws. The carb/heat issue is one I've HEARD about but never experienced BTW...:) The rubber intake boot arraignment both isolates the 372 carb better for both heat and vibration. Just little stuff like that through out the saw makes the 372 one of the best designs ever. The inboard vs. outboard clutch is another of those endless debates. Inboard clutches have some advantages like having less distance from the bar centerline to the edge of the clutch cover.. but the outboard clutch keeps that heat away from the cases AND to some make the saw theoretically handle better. I think thats a subjective thing. For me the ease of changing the chain or bar & chain removal/replacement is an advantage. It is something done frequently AND its a lot easier with the inboard clutch like the 372 and BTW many of the pro level Stihl's have. JUST an opinion. Actually for me the 268 was a bit more rugged than the 272's, a little less bore, more wall thickness in the cylinders. NOT a lot less power. A good 268xp is a great saw. BUT nostalgia aside, the 372xp and all its derivatives are better in many ways to live with..in my most humble opinion. I have both and spent time with both..View attachment 547210View attachment 547213

If you get this far....wow, no body reads the addendum! Last but not least. 372xp X-Torq. They are heavier than the 372xp OE. Have more vibration....use less fuel. Had more issues. Better than a 272/268? Not as clear cut but yes. AND the parts are current and available. That brings up another issue.....the 266/268/272 series have been obsolete for quite some time, and while variants are still being produced; parts aren't as easy to find at places like your local dealer. Both 372xp Original editions and the newer current X-Torq versions are plentiful and commonplace. Husqvarna dealers are likely to stock whatever you need. For the enthusiast, the 272's are EASY to work on, but so are 372's. Also there is Aftermarket support for the 272's and actually sometimes that is the best option. But there is also for 372's. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and available for the entire 372 series and for that reason even for the enthusiast the 372 offers more opportunity......bottom line? Unless your into nostalgia, the 372xp OE and even the XT are a better place to invest time and money in ..again..my humble opinion...and that's before getting into resale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you I've been going around about the 272 and a 2171 after reading your post I'm leaning more towards the 2171 mainly due to parts again thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes i run the 372's. i run them with a 36" stihl light. light saber in the woods and tree's piss there roots on my walk up the hill lol i also have a few 390's i run in bigger wood. i like the 390's more but the 372's are great for second growth.

Piss there roots.. Lmfao you made my day![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i'm an auto mechanic as well. i quit that and went into marine and small engines, quit that and now i'm a faller. i'm happy knowing i got 2 backup plans in case the forest industry goes for ****. new mechanics and their reliance on computers make me sick. i mean diagnostic tools are a necessity for modern day vehicles but they make mechanics what i call "parts changers". no real skill. computer diagnosis tells them which part to change. they don't even have to think lol. you would think a guy would eventually learn the symptoms of faulty parts and be able to do it himself. lots give off the same symptoms but damn. the last 2 shops i worked for before i quit were a joke!!!
It seems our stories aren't all that far apart, I'm a mechanic wishing I was working on chainsaws instead but dreaming of being a logger someday. In my area I think there is a huge need for someone who can do what I would call "conservation logging" meaning going through and thinning and removing of unwanted species so that the rest of the forest can thrive. But regardless, another pipe dream. And I absolutely agree with computers making you lazy as a mechanic. We have a program called identifix that let's you see common repairs based on certain codes or symptoms. And it gets leaned on way to hard in my shop. I will use it to give me a starting point and then go to the vehicle and run through the diagnostic process of checking that system or part, it usually saves time. But too many guys will say, 60 confirmed fixes of this being bad, better put that on and then they are standing there with their thumb in their a** cause they don't know why it didn't fix it.

One of the interesting debates...272 vs. 372xp original edition. To me the 372xp OE with its better anti vib system, inboard clutch, and better cylinder design is a significant upgrade. The 372xp OE cylinder is a "quad" port design and also has more cross sectional area in the transfers than the 272's...more power. A little more stroke on the 372 (more bore on the 272 is 52mm, the 372 50mm) which is interesting. My guess is to get better primary compression characteristics to feed those bigger transfers, but you never know with those engineers. One of the issues the older 266/268/272 class saw had was heat to the carbs through the mounting screws. The carb/heat issue is one I've HEARD about but never experienced BTW...:) The rubber intake boot arraignment both isolates the 372 carb better for both heat and vibration. Just little stuff like that through out the saw makes the 372 one of the best designs ever. The inboard vs. outboard clutch is another of those endless debates. Inboard clutches have some advantages like having less distance from the bar centerline to the edge of the clutch cover.. but the outboard clutch keeps that heat away from the cases AND to some make the saw theoretically handle better. I think thats a subjective thing. For me the ease of changing the chain or bar & chain removal/replacement is an advantage. It is something done frequently AND its a lot easier with the inboard clutch like the 372 and BTW many of the pro level Stihl's have. JUST an opinion. Actually for me the 268 was a bit more rugged than the 272's, a little less bore, more wall thickness in the cylinders. NOT a lot less power. A good 268xp is a great saw. BUT nostalgia aside, the 372xp and all its derivatives are better in many ways to live with..in my most humble opinion. I have both and spent time with both..View attachment 547210View attachment 547213

Thanks very much for the input! And yes I did read the whole thing. It would appear that since I'm in absolutely no hurry I need to look for a 372XP OE, in super minty condition, or super cheap so I can rebuild it and get new plastic and stuff, if I'm looking at buying a newer saw I'm not ok with more vibration, my old ones I don't mind cause it's a nostalgia thing.

I'll say it and not to just to be a trouble maker. If you want low vibe and smooth. Go with a dolmar 7300-7910.
It's hands down smoother and more power. I have been running my 272, 372oe, 372xtorq And my 7910 alot lately. And the 372 is great, but the 7910 is smoother, more power and clears noodles better.
I have a Walker's saw shop 372xpg and it is the closest in power to the 7910. Followed by the xtorq 372 then the original 372. I can't include my 272 as I have been running a much shorter bar on it.
I am adding the wide discharge side covers and large dogs to the 372's to help with the clearing of noodles.

Just my personal experiences with them all.

Steven

I'll say it and not to just to be a trouble maker. If you want low vibe and smooth. Go with a dolmar 7300-7910.
It's hands down smoother and more power. I have been running my 272, 372oe, 372xtorq And my 7910 alot lately. And the 372 is great, but the 7910 is smoother, more power and clears noodles better.
I have a Walker's saw shop 372xpg and it is the closest in power to the 7910. Followed by the xtorq 372 then the original 372. I can't include my 272 as I have been running a much shorter bar on it.
I am adding the wide discharge side covers and large dogs to the 372's to help with the clearing of noodles.

Just my personal experiences with them all.

Steven
I'm glad you brought that up, because I would love, love, to have a 7900 in makita colors

I'm about an hour south of springfield, how bout you? And thanks for the input, I'm all for simple designs. I'd like to get a 72xp husky to replace my 029 super and there is a 272xp for sale local for 325, it's from one of those guys that buys saws fixes them up and resells them. It's not minty but it ain't bad looking either.

You must be pretty close to me, I live right on the Jersey/Macoupin county line north of Brighton.

I thought long and hard about buying that 272xp on CL. My buddy was going to swoop it up but he's got some medical bills to take care of first. And I don't really need it, lol. The 036 he has is a good deal too as well as the 359. All great firewood saws.

Thanks very much for the input! And yes I did read the whole thing. It would appear that since I'm in absolutely no hurry I need to look for a 372XP OE, in super minty condition, or super cheap so I can rebuild it and get new plastic and stuff, if I'm looking at buying a newer saw I'm not ok with more vibration, my old ones I don't mind cause it's a nostalgia thing.

The added vibration of the XT are very minimal. You wouldn't even notice without running them side by side unless you had a lot of run time on both. I like the XT power for longer bars but I think if I had to pick one I would take an OE just for it's raw 2 stroke design. I've never owned a 7900 mostly because of absolutely no dealers here. If they are smoother then a 372 they must be real smooth! Like 576 smooth. No real need to be smoother then a 372.

You must be pretty close to me, I live right on the Jersey/Macoupin county line north of Brighton.

I thought long and hard about buying that 272xp on CL. My buddy was going to swoop it up but he's got some medical bills to take care of first. And I don't really need it, lol. The 036 he has is a good deal too as well as the 359. All great firewood saws.
That's awesome, so your right near southwestern junction, I live in chesterfield! That's pretty neat I must say.
And I need another firewood saw like a hole in the head haha

I'm glad you brought that up, because I would love, love, to have a 7900 in makita colors
I just did a Makita 6401 build. It runs with a husky 390, not far behind until you bury a 28, then the husky pulls away. I own a 576xpw and it is a little smoother then the Makita but not much. My Makita got smoother as it broke in. I like the 576xp better for its idiot proofed-ness and fuel consumption. I prefer the master control system on it. The ignition on the Makita is annoying and the choke is easy to pop out by accident. But, I find myself running the Makita more then the 576 as it is lighter and faster. It also has a better flowing clutch cover then the 576xpw and I like the dogs better, but not by much. For 90% of my cutting the XPW dogs are too big, but they are really nice as they dig in better. The chain tensioner is also easier to deal with on the husky, except I had to cut the head off a scrench to get it to fit under the handle. If you have to carry it far, I can see the appeal of the 7900 over the husky, but the husky is a tank and has shrugged off being crushed without any real damage beyond scratching. The full wrap really protects it, but is a pain in the ass most of the time.

It was something like $350 for the 6401 (get a 6401, higher revving coil and better flowing muffler), $200 for the cylinder and gasket, and $75 for the HD air filter (not a must but I like it over the stocker). It is not a lot cheaper than a new one ($635 vs $900 or something) but you do get the HD filter. Id keep an eye out used for a 7900 over a 7910. No fussing with the muffler or getting a different coil.

I just did a Makita 6401 build. It runs with a husky 390, not far behind until you bury a 28, then the husky pulls away. I own a 576xpw and it is a little smoother then the Makita but not much. My Makita got smoother as it broke in. I like the 576xp better for its idiot proofed-ness and fuel consumption. I prefer the master control system on it. The ignition on the Makita is annoying and the choke is easy to pop out by accident. But, I find myself running the Makita more then the 576 as it is lighter and faster. It also has a better flowing clutch cover then the 576xpw and I like the dogs better, but not by much. For 90% of my cutting the XPW dogs are too big, but they are really nice as they dig in better. The chain tensioner is also easier to deal with on the husky, except I had to cut the head off a scrench to get it to fit under the handle. If you have to carry it far, I can see the appeal of the 7900 over the husky, but the husky is a tank and has shrugged off being crushed without any real damage beyond scratching. The full wrap really protects it, but is a pain in the ass most of the time.

It was something like $350 for the 6401 (get a 6401, higher revving coil and better flowing muffler), $200 for the cylinder and gasket, and $75 for the HD air filter (not a must but I like it over the stocker). It is not a lot cheaper than a new one ($635 vs $900 or something) but you do get the HD filter. Id keep an eye out used for a 7900 over a 7910. No fussing with the muffler or getting a different coil.
Well, I was told about a guy that had a stock of 7900 but only as a dolmar

Well, I was told about a guy that had a stock of 7900 but only as a dolmar
The Makita and Dolmar saws are the exact same. I got a Makita 6401 used instead of a Dolmar. 6401 and 7900 share the same chassis. 6421 and 7910 are the same things with a lower rev limited coil and catalytic converter. Probably knew that by now. I have not done any mods beyond a new top end and an HD air filter. I really don't see a need to. It runs fine as is and playing with it more may make it a dud.

Back