Husqvarna 340/345/350 Jonsered 2141/2145/2150 Information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epa closed port yes sir. 51.7 cc really.

reason i asked is, i have another top cover that lists both the 2149/2150 at 49cc.............was there a 2149?...................well, i did a search on the 2149, yes there was one, but it's not built on the same platform as the 2141/2145/2150, but i'm still wondering why the top cover i have lists these two saws together (2149/2150)

Last edited:
Those saws likely are the best "homeowner class" chainsaws ever made! :msp_wink:

i really like these saws as well, although i've only owned the husky 350 and the j-reds 2150's, i recently sold the husky, but have two very nice 2150's.............at least with the 2150's or the husky 350, one only need's the p/c for top end replacement, a little less work involved, i'll get some pics up of my 2150's when the sun pops out...............:msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
This is exactly the type of thread that made this site so famous. Countless people have been drawn here to learn from the guys who have experience. We can't all possibly have knowledge of every scenario presented here on AB. But collectively we can all obtain the answers we seek. You all deserve our gratitude for your time and patience.

537 32 40-01, but he may need some different bolts as well - I don't really remember the details....

Correct, and there are a few other hardware differences as well. (and some mis-information so far in this thread)

First thing to be aware of is that all early saws in this family used a course thread for both the cylinder and bottom riser block bolts. Change was 2002/2003 to the finer thread bolts. This was not just on 350's but on the early metal case saws, (346/351/2149) as well. So obviously, mixing hardware can wreck some existing threads.

When adding the riser block to a 340/345/2141/2145 you cannot use the bottom bolts that originally held those cylinders on because they are longer than the bolts that are used for the intake block.

The flange on the base of a 346 cylinder is thinner than that on the 351/353, (early or late 350) cylinders. Therefore you need to remove about .050 from the cylinder bolts to prevent them from bottoming out.

Either of the "350" cylinders respond real good to ditching the base gasket, (about a 25psi bump), and a muffler mod. (certainly want to have the flat top piston in the "353" cylinder). Such a set up makes a real good runner that is very close to any 346. Either 350 jug works great and it's a waste to toss away a cylinder that's in good shape and buy a 346 top end.

reason i asked is, i have another top cover that lists both the 2149/2150 at 49cc.............was there a 2149?...................well, i did a search on the 2149, yes there was one, but it's not built on the same platform as the 2141/2145/2150, but i'm still wondering why the top cover i have lists these two saws together (2149/2150)

2149 is the open port version and the 2150 is the closed port correct.

Correct, and there are a few other hardware differences as well. (and some mis-information so far in this thread)

First thing to be aware of is that all early saws in this family used a course thread for both the cylinder and bottom riser block bolts. Change was 2002/2003 to the finer thread bolts. This was not just on 350's but on the early metal case saws, (346/351/2149) as well. So obviously, mixing hardware can wreck some existing threads.

When adding the riser block to a 340/345/2141/2145 you cannot use the bottom bolts that originally held those cylinders on because they are longer than the bolts that are used for the intake block.

The flange on the base of a 346 cylinder is thinner than that on the 351/353, (early or late 350) cylinders. Therefore you need to remove about .050 from the cylinder bolts to prevent them from bottoming out.

Either of the "350" cylinders respond real good to ditching the base gasket, (about a 25psi bump), and a muffler mod. (certainly want to have the flat top piston in the "353" cylinder). Such a set up makes a real good runner that is very close to any 346. Either 350 jug works great and it's a waste to toss away a cylinder that's in good shape and buy a 346 top end.

Thanks for filling in the missing details. As I said I'm sure I missed things that were important.

2150 has the same cylinder has the 353. The 2149 is 1mm smaller bore size and open port.

what i'm trying to say is, the 2149 is built like 353, not a husky 350 or the j-red 2150, which is why i'm wondering why these two saws are listed together on my top cover, the cover is not original to the saw (i replaced the original because of some damage that it had), it had the 52cc/2150 decal on the original cover, i just find it odd that these two saws are listed on the same decal..................040

what i'm trying to say is, the 2149 is built like 353, not a husky 350 or the j-red 2150, which is why i'm wondering why these two saws are listed together on my top cover, the cover is not original to the saw (i replaced the original because of some damage that it had), it had the 52cc/2150 decal on the original cover, i just find it odd that these two saws are listed on the same decal..................040

Can you post a picture? It'll be easier for me to see what you're talking about.

Can you post a picture? It'll be easier for me to see what you're talking about.

i've tried three times to get a good pic, but my cheap azz camera refuses to give a clear shot, anyway, what it says is 2149/2150 49cc.......................that's all you would have seen anyways.....................040

i've tried three times to get a good pic, but my cheap azz camera refuses to give a clear shot, anyway, what it says is 2149/2150 49cc.......................that's all you would have seen anyways.....................040

It's the open port 49 cc top end. Your bore size should be 44mm. All the sticker means I'm guessing is that there was an over lap between the two models and the parts do swap. The epa closed port is a 45mm bore size. I'm probably not making any sense at all. I'll try to find some more information on this for you as I'm not as familiar with the 2149.

Why do that when our sponsor watsonr can help out cheaper and faster with a better product? Randy is a great guy he will help you out.
Husqvarna 340 345

I googled a kit and thats what I found.

I'll check out Watson.

I just wanted to know if a kit like that makes sense or if I should look for something else.

Eric

Last edited:
I googled a kit and thats what I found.

I'll check out Watson.

I just wanted to know if a kit lie that makes sense or if I should look for something else.

Eric

I'd honestly go with that kit or the 44.3 346 kit. I'll be doing a thread soon hopefully on a build I'm doing for someone. It's going to be a 346 44.3 kit from Randy. Saw should be here in the middle of the week.

It's the open port 49 cc top end. Your bore size should be 44mm. All the sticker means I'm guessing is that there was an over lap between the two models and the parts do swap. The epa closed port is a 45mm bore size. I'm probably not making any sense at all. I'll try to find some more information on this for you as I'm not as familiar with the 2149.

no, your making sense, it's the decal that doesn't, again, this cover with that decal was not the original to the saw and it should be the 52cc version saw, although when i had the cover off it had "44" marked in blue on the top of the cylinder, so i'm guessing that even if you've got a 52cc decal, your saw may not be the 51.7cc saw.........................:confused:

no, your making sense, it's the decal that doesn't, again, this cover with that decal was not the original to the saw and it should be the 52cc version saw, although when i had the cover off it had "44" marked in blue, so i'm guessing the even if you've got a 52cc decal, your saw may not be the 51.7cc saw.........................:confused:

I'd say someone has made a swap somewhere. The 51.7 makes less power stock but most don't realize that's related to the dished piston. The 49.7 kit has a flat top and open ports but still performed better IMHO. If a guy wants a cheap upgrade to a 51.7 saw delete base gasket add a 353 piston and muffler mod. These mods will make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back