Husqvarna 350 comparison video with cut times!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score

First off, HUGE thanks to Dan @paragonbuilder for being the trigger man on this job. He ran every saw smooth and consistent... (and when I ran the same saw, I was 30% SLOWER)

2ndly, big thanks to Cutting Edge in NY State for hosting the GTG where I ran this comparison.

For a while I have been told that oem cylinders are the best....period....for the husqvarna 350,346xp and the like. Also, the 346xp oem 44.3 cylinder trounces all. But what about all the AM cylinders? Even if they aren't great to start with, can they be made to be AS GOOD as the oem? or better? or is there no hope for the AM stuff? ..... ESPECIALLY NOW with the oem cylinders so relatively cheap.

So....

I personally have 2 husky 350s. One is an oem 45mm cylinder saw that I ported and muffler modded. It no longer has the dished piston. It runs well, but not as well as my other 350 that has a 45mm AM cylinder....the now famous hyway saw that I ran at the November GTG here in CT.

My process has been, #1, optimize the squish while retaining a gasket by milling the bearing cup/riser appropriately. aim for .020 squish. oddly enough my hyway saw ranges from 024-028 depending on where its measured. I do not cut squish band....

20141128_195621.jpg

#2, grind the transfers to 124 or so ...I now have a piece of card stock that I can use that tells me where to put the transfers so they are consistent throughout the saws.

20160328_110451.jpg

#3, exhaust at 105, intake around 78. slight widening and squaring. I don't go crazy.
20160328_141711.jpg 20160328_141723.jpg

#4, open the muffler under the screen, again, I don't hog the thing out completely, but it gets a considerable size opening when I do this.

#5, the riser gets ground, mostly for smoothness.

20160328_141037.jpg

everything gets put together w/ gaskets and loctite 515 or 518.

So...

I decided that I'd buy some other aftermarket cylinder kits and see what I can do with them. The cylinders I got were both 346xp 44.3 clones from ebay ... UK kit and Kafar kit.

I also GOT SENT an OEM 346xp cylinder kit.... THANKS @bplust the trade here was that he sent me the kit and a parts saw, and I build him a ported saw. I get the comparison, he gets the saw. good deal I think.

So now I have 5 saws. ..... THE CONFOUNDERS.........

#1, my oem 45mm saw may not be ported to the exact same specs. Don't remember exactly what I did.
#2, my hyway saw cylinder and the new cylinder just sent to me by HL Supply are two different cylinders. Hyway must have updated their design. The new plating ROCKS, but the combustion chamber is smaller.
So, even if someone wanted to replicate my hyway saw it wouldn't be possible because the old cylinder isn't available.

old hyway:
20160403_123844.jpg
new hyway:
20160403_123838.jpg

For the above test I used the same size bar on all the saws.. husky oem 16" 325 050 66dl. I bought BRAND NEW CHAINS from leftcoastsupply for all of the saws. I ran the saws dry and only used trufuel 40:1 for the comparison.

Now the monkey wrench. I asked the group for a stock 350 to run against my saws. @paragonbuilder said his saw was stock except for a muff mod and that we could run that. ok. Welp, as you can see from the vids, the STOCK saw runs right with any of the other saws in the group. It consistently gets 10 second times. and though saw #4 and #5 get sub 10 seconds, the stock saw isn't getting trounced.

Just this am I found out the stock saw has 100 psi comp. 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. All of my saws are over 150, and my hyway saw is closer to 175 comp.

The stock saw isn't stock... it has a muffler mod. Looking closer, it has about triple the exhaust area any of my saws do and no screen. Pretty sure most of my saws were running screen. NONE have that much exhaust area though.

Yes I know I should have run the same B&C on each saw, but overall it didn't really seem like that was an issue. The test ran pretty much as expected, except for the one outlier which is that stock saw.

Honestly, I'm pretty bummed. I spent a PILE of time and a PILE of money getting this test best I could.

Worse, it really seems like all the effort I have put towards milling, porting, polishing, measuring, increasing compression etc has all either been for naught or just not worth it as compared to doing a simple muff mod?

-Mattyo

The reveal:

Without spoiling the reveal, I guessed #4 correctly the minute I saw it run. Interesting that 5 came out on top of the heap.

I'm also surprised how well the stock saw ran. Did it also use a new in box loop of chain or did he hand sharpen that one?

all saws seen have brandy new chains that had never touched wood....bought from LCS...

saw 4 and 5 are essentially identical in times, stock wasn't far behind, neither was 1.... 2 and 3 were slowest, but only behind by 25% or so. as a comparison, when I ran a saw .... as compared to Dan, I was 25% behind.

Yeah it surprised me as well! In interested in tearing this saw down to see what's up with it. It still has the dished piston...
Or maybe the muffler mod made a huge difference and will enhance matts port jobs as well! We will find out at the ct gtg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt you need this muffler... KIMG0463.jpg
But really thanks for the work I wish I could have sent a saw!!!

That's all hard to believe. I have a 45 mm Hy-Way cylinder that ported, cut the base and went with a pop up piston because of that hard ass plating in the combustion chamber and runs right with my Tree Monkey ported 2153. Everyone said an AM cylinder won't ever be as good as an OE but this one sure is

That's all hard to believe. I have a 45 mm Hy-Way cylinder that ported, cut the base and went with a pop up piston because of that hard ass plating in the combustion chamber and runs right with my Tree Monkey ported 2153. Everyone said an AM cylinder won't ever be as good as an OE but this one sure is

Mike what are the numbers on that hyway cylinder?

Matt, do you have any experience with the Huztl p and c sets?
The ones I've used I've been decent I haven't had a problem yet. But the problem is like Matt showed the new highway cylinder is different than the old one. It seems that all these aftermarket companies get batches of cylinders but over time they're different so you never know what you're going to get.

So when the OEM piston and cylinder kit is reasonable if you're going to do a lot of builds and want them consistent it's kind of a no-brainer. But that's not to say you can't build a strong saw with any of the aftermarket sets.

Put 16" 3/8 on them all and I bet the results change. The pecking order may stay the same but I bet the spectrum broadens. I like .325 on my stock 50cc saws but if they are modded well I prefer them with 3/8. This is talking off the roll chain that has not been touched. If I hand file my .325 to where it doesn't feel bound up in the cut I really like it and it will cut as fast as 3/8. My point is, maybe the ported saws are not shining as brightly because the chain is holding them back.

I have a 350 that was a salvaged 45mm OE cylinder and a meteor flat top that I ported. Mostly lower work. I did not raise the transfers. I ditched the base gasket and landed at .0195 squish. The bearing cap and lowers were matched and smoothed and thats it. That saw runs very well. It's not as angry as my Dan Henry 346 but it has a broader more forgiving powerband. I run 16" 3/8 on it and it loves it. I have never timed the cuts but it feels significantly faster than a stock 350 and it has zero machine work.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. As long as the saws run better, ie; better throttle response and quicker spool up, who cares about stop watch cut times.

I'm running 18"-3/8 on my Hy-way and .325-18" on my TM saw with a 8t sprocket

I have a stock Husky 350. Took it to a GTG in Carthage, MO a couple years ago. Also had an opportunity to run a ported, Stumpy's Custom 350 at the GTG. And while I didn't do timed cuts, it seemed pretty obvious the ported saw had more power and speed in the cut. Of course I'm still running an unmodified, factory muffler.

Back