Husqvarna 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Husky 353 has more grunt than my Stihl 026 PRO, but both are very good runners. The 353 might take a back seat to the Stihl 028 Super, but the 028 weighs another pound or so and drinks more fuel. Naturally, Stihl quit making the 028 Super and I don't see any plans by Stihl to bring it back, another poor decision. So, they are relying on the MS261, which only sets you back $650. I bet the 353 or the 346XP will run side-by-side with a Stihl MS261.

I took my 353 out last week and cut two tanks of fuel. My truck was packed to the gills. I simply am amazed at the 353's fuel economy. How they did that is mind boggling. Of course, a sharp chain helps a lot, and I usually carry a sharp pair with me in addition to the one on the bar.

They definitely sip fuel. I cut this smallish 8' load of hickory last August with a tank of fuel and an extra glug in the 346. Some of those rounds were almost the length of the bar. Provided some serious BTUs this winter...gotta love the dead standing tops.

20160812_134234.jpg

Check to see if that leak isn't simply the oil cap. A dried out rubber ring seal will cause it. Rest the saw on a couple of short lengths of 2 x 2 and place a paper towel underneath to trace the leak.
Its on the chain side

Its on the chain side
Take the bar and chain off, wipe everything clean. Now rest the power head on short 2 x 2's above a paper towel and watch to see exactly where the oil is coming from. It should stop dripping after awhile. If it does not, the easiest "fix" is to store the saw when not in use on the side opposite the bar and chain.

Anybody running a 353? I have two, one that is stock and one that I put a OEM 346XP top end on, modded the muffler and did a base gasket delete. I am really impressed by these saws. Light and powerful. I run a 16" .325" on mine.

I would be interested in hearing others comments about the saws.

Need to put 3/8 chain on it . youll be a happy camper stick with 16 inch :)

Need to put 3/8 chain on it. You'll be a happy camper stick with 16 inch. :)
The 3/8" vs. .325" pitch debate rolls on and on. I imagine it's been addressed dozens of times on this forum. My 350, 353, and all my Stihl saws under 60 CC's use .325 pitch chain because this forum usually recommends that. I have to wonder and I suppose the only way to find out is to outfit one with 3/8" pitch and see how well it does head to head. Easiest way for me to do it is with two Stihls, two bars, two rim sprockets and two new chains. Does anybody have link to a thread that has already done this?

The older saws seem to do okay with 3/8 chain whereas the newer, higher rpm saws seem to bog down a bit. A lot of the Homelites used 3/8, like the EZ models, the 330, but these operate at a lower rpm and seem to have more grunt at low rpm than the Huskys and Stihls. I did notice an improvement in my MS250 going to a 3/8 low profile from a .325.

I had my 353 as my only saw for probably 6 years. During that time I cut over 10 cord a year with it. Great saw...the only issue I had with it was the dawg bolts stripped out and they would always loosen up. Eventually I lost the dawgs...I really don't know how because you have to take the bar off to get them off. It probably snapped. I abused the hell out of that thing and it never let me down. The thing is light and like others stated, it really sips the fuel.

The older saws seem to do okay with 3/8 chain whereas the newer, higher rpm saws seem to bog down a bit. A lot of the Homelites used 3/8, like the EZ models, the 330, but these operate at a lower rpm and seem to have more grunt at low rpm than the Huskys and Stihls. I did notice an improvement in my MS250 going to a 3/8 low profile from a .325.
I tried changing an MS290 for .325 to 3/8 pitch full chisel for awhile and wish that I had not. It ran very rough by comparison -- no fun at all. On the other hand, my MS361, only about 10 cc's larger in displacement, runs fine with 3/8" pitch full chisel. My gut feeling is to leave the Husky 353 alone with .325" pitch chain, either full or semi-chisel.

Lets get more detailed mines 2006 353g . Let talk about problems with the .325 .050 full chisel chain and what it does on the saw. The main problem is chips under the chain . Next problem is dulls fast. And in my case it wears down fast the back of cutter bar to rivet . I cut oak and I do cut in the winter also. And just this year I went to 3/8 .058 full chisel fixed all the problems. Rakers set at .025 .
Now I have cut about 160 cord with it and I just had to replace needle bears on clutch .
That's it . It's a awesome saw now flawless. now with 3/8
Now Stihl puts 3/8 chain on 48 cc saws . You can do this no problem but let rakers stay bit higher maybe at .020 as you sharpen . And you'll fall in love with your 026 all over again . I only been cutting firewood for 30 plus years . I'm no pro . I do sharpen chains on $99 bench grinder . I don't use Files. Bench grinder sharpener is really worth the money you will make saw and chain last alot longer .
These are just my findings .

Woodblocker55

Now that's pretty cool . 353 350 are great saws . You got some serious wood piles back there!!![emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back