Husqvarna 359 stock versus ported

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
Reaction score
I had a customer come through with a nice low hour 359 he purchased new and wanted a little more out of it to run a 36" b/c. Not to cut big wood, but only for ease of not bending over or kneeling down to cut.

Before:

After:

I wanted to compare it to my 357xp but it got dark on me and the 359 was gone an hour after I shot the video.

Looks and sounds stronger. Is the oiler up to the job?
Yes and I wasn't very thrilled about what it did to my driveway because the owner ran a cut facing the other direction and oiled up my whole damn driveway. It started raining immediately after he left and made a really ugly mess.

Nice job, as usual.

So a 60cc Hooskey can oil a 36" bar effectively?

What kind of mods did you make?
This one seems to be oiling just fine. These things are notorious for leaking at the oil pump and that affects their oiling capabilities for even short bars. I cut a little gasket that fits over the top of the little rubber block that is pressed tight by only the bar plate. The bar plate warps and loses its ability to keep the pieces tight enough to pump full volume and it also leaks like a toddler's nose. The little gasket is only about .5"x .5" so it only makes contact with the little rubber block and keeps it nice and tight.

Sounds great. What all did you do to it?
As far as the muffler I got in there and cut out the baffle and pipe with a burr, and opened up the factory hole to double its size. It will also benefit from a second muffler port as soon as I get an exhaust outlet to bolt on. The port work on the cylinder isn't too extreme. I didn't change the port timing.
2016-02-08 19.32.21.jpg 2016-02-08 19.33.10.jpg 2016-02-08 19.34.05.jpg

2016-02-16 11.19.16.jpg
2016-02-16 11.21.13.jpg

Terrific job Jim do you own an outdoor power equipment shop? I see you have a foredom set up.

Thanks for sharing, I have a 359 jug getting ready to see some grinding. I have a 2159 needs split, will try to do that oiler gasket when its all down.

Terrific job Jim do you own an outdoor power equipment shop? I see you have a foredom set up.
It's just a private chainsaw shop at home for now. I would have something far bigger and better by now but I'm limited because of chronic pain from a broken back.
Thank god for chainsaws because without the income from those I'd be out selling my body to college girls.

Latest posts

Back