Husqvarna 359 -Upgrading Bar, Gauge Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super20g

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a new Husqvarna 359, 18" Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge.

I have a (new) spare Husqvarna 20" 3/8" Pitch, .050" Gauge chain...

I am thinking of replacing the 18" bar with a 20" and using the spare chain I have...

Can I just put a 20" Bar, .050" Gauge on it with the spare chain of matching Gauge or do I need to do more such as replace the sprocket?

I am a newbie...

By the way, what is the reason one would pick .050" or .058" Gauge anyways? What are the benefits of one over another? Is one more common?

Hello,

I just purchased a new Husqvarna 359, 18" Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge.

I have a (new) spare Husqvarna 20" 3/8" Pitch, .050" Gauge chain...

I am thinking of replacing the 18" bar with a 20" and using the spare chain I have...

Can I just put a 20" Bar, .050" Gauge on it with the spare chain of matching Gauge or do I need to do more such as replace the sprocket?

I am a newbie...

By the way, what is the reason one would pick .050" or .058" Gauge anyways? What are the benefits of one over another? Is one more common?

You do not need to replace the sprocket,as for gauge It usually boils down to region and preferance.

Just swap out the bar, put your .058 on the trading post for someone who still uses that stepchild of questionable parentage size. Go .050 and don't look back

Thanks for the help guys!

Got any more tips on these 359's?

I'll use the search though and see what I come up with.

BTW, I'll be selling my trusty Husqvarna 480 CD that the 359 replaces. It's a beast with a 24" bar. Probably a collectors piece? Might be too young for some though.

Last edited:

BTW, I'll be selling my trusty Husqvarna 480 CD that the 359 replaces. It's a beast with a 24" bar. Probably a collectors piece? Might be too young for some though.

When you're ready to sell the 480, shoot me a PM.

Congrats on the new saw.

The first thing to do is put a non cat muffler on the 359. From there you can muff mod it for more power and if you're really serious about gaining power you can port the saw. It just depends on how far you want to go.

Congrats on the new saw.

The first thing to do is put a non cat muffler on the 359. From there you can muff mod it for more power and if you're really serious about gaining power you can port the saw. It just depends on how far you want to go.

+1 on that.I did my 346NE best thing I did.
DON

super20g,

Check your spare 20 inch chain for number of DL. The current standard is 72DL for 20in, but there are some older oregon powermatch bars still out there new that take 70DL and are listed as 20 inch. I found one of these cheap an Oregon PowerMatch, 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge, 20 inch bar, 70 DL, and run it on my 359. Actual length is closer to 19 inches.

Just wanted to point out to you that 72DL seems to be current standard for 20 inch, but some 70DL setups are out there yet listed as 20 inch.

Good luck with the saw. I also have run a 24 inch setup on my 359 when needed and it pulls it good.

Congrats on the new saw.

I would be interested in a non cat muff. I found a site that sells them for ~40. After that, what is the process for additional muffler modification? I will not get into porting this saw, although it does sound enticing :)

I would be interested in a non cat muff. I found a site that sells them for ~40. After that, what is the process for additional muffler modification? I will not get into porting this saw, although it does sound enticing :)

When you put a non cat on your saw you may have to adjust the carb a little richer. When I put one on my 359 I checked it with a tach but didn't have to adjust anything.

The muffler mod is done by increasing the size of the existing exhaust outlet or adding a hole or holes to the muffler. There are several threads on how to do this and they don't have to be done the same way. A search on muffler mods should bring up some pics of mods and you might be able to search 359 muffler mods and bring something up. A lot of people say not to mod the cat muffler because it can be bad for your health. There have been a few on AS that have modded cats but I don't know if it would be worth taking a chance.

Back