husqvarna 372 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob32racing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive got a couple of 372s laying around im looking to build up. Both saws are low on compression and will need to be rebuilt. Im thinking i want to make one into a slightly modified work saw, then make the other one a full blown modified saw. For the slightly modified one i already have an unlimited coil and exhaust mod, was thinking just to add a big bore kit to that one. The fully modified saw will be just a play tool/conversation piece. It will also have an unlimited coil and exhaust mod...... But where to i go from there??? standard big bore, port and polished, sprocket size, crank, carb??/ What should i do to this saw? Im very good at working on these saws as i have 6 of them, im just new to the aftermarket performance part of it.

I am just finishing up the one in the picture. personally I would try and reuse the original cylinders if at all possible, and use a new meteor piston and caber rings. You should not need to do anything other than rebuild the carb and replace fuel lines. I have just mildly ported mine by cleaning up the inlet and exhaust and raising up the start of the transfer at the bottom of the cylinder. Afleetcomand has a really good vid on modifying these (weimdog on here). Delete base gasket but check squish.

Unless you really want to go for the doctor the above will give a really good strong saw. The good thing about the 372's is that you can get little bits and pieces to make it look nice and shiny, but while a buyer will cope with some new covers etc, the saw devalues a lot with an aftermarket cyclinder. The Mahle's are very high quality and unless trashed is likely to clean up well. Nice easy saws to work on.17523232_717990908381226_640774854150178431_n.jpg

I might replace it with a new std bore cylinder. What should i do with the other saw im wanting to build?

Basic tools no lathe or mill. I was thinking more of sending out my cylinder or buying a new one already worked.

define basic tools :)

I'm working on a vid right now for a poor mans porting solution....so it is possible to DIY the whole thing

sending the cylinder head out is reasonable too, and then you just have to put it together.

Ive got everything but machine tools. Plasmas, welders, dremels, most every hand tool imaginable.

Then no need to send the cylinder head out :) take your time and grind the ports to where you want them. most 372's respond well to a gasket delete, so pull the base gasket, check squish. Assuming its around .020" then you can get a timing wheel on the saw (plenty of vids on that including on my channel) and find out how much you need to grind. make sure you don't go too wide on the exhaust, move up the transfers to an appropriate blowdown, and increase the intake duration a bit. on my 372's I am for 100, 120, 80 for timing numbers. Take a look at my youtube channel....link in my sig. LOTS of info.

Also, Walt's channel is good too. I'm more of a bolt for bolt kinda guy, Walt (afleetcommand) does more practical and meat and potatoes kinda stuff. Plenty to learn. HAVE FUN. :)

Back