Husqvarna 372xp maybe? Really a 96-371xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, probly a 371 but I still think it's wearing a 372 clutch cover.
Your right! I see it's got the side adjuster on the cover. Almost looks wider like the 390? Hard to tell...could be a rare 372??
Shouldn't there be more numbers in the tag? The new 372 have 2 rows of numbers I believe. I'm no expert but I have always been able to make out the year.

*edit... I see by the bar nut position the cover is not bottomed out. So yeah looks like 372 cover & top

96 model = 371, most parts are the same or will interchange with 372. Clean up the cylinder and drop a meteor piston in. Remove the front adjuster, and use the side adjuster 372 cover.

20170611_101917.jpg Thanks, now I know the year.

The case needs to be welded, cracked right by the oil tank. Or buy a used case or a Chinese replacement.

I was on an old 266 thread about an Eliminator cap for sale about 4-5 months ago.
Anyway ended up on another one reading about dates. I had it stuck in my head that 2 number were the year followed by the next 2 being the week. That is actually how Husqvarna do it now.
They changed the format in 99 I found out earlier today. Perhaps it came in for 2000.
Now all husqvarna products have 9 to 11 numbers after s/n . The first 2 would be the year and then the week #
So yours was made 49 week (early December) of '96
I would say I bought my first in sept of '96.
Well you got that figured out for you anyways. 649 is the Canadian lottery so I consider it a lucky saw...lol

So its got a crack in the front?
It's just into the oil tank right?
That's **** all. Just adds to the character.
See, she is lucky. I'd just put some Marine tex or JB Weld and be done with it. I just did the same to one of mine. It's got about three months on it. It's on its second tank and full wrap. As well some azzhole didn't roll of his chain when riding in the back of the truck like I asked him too a few times for that very reason.

I am going to try to get it welded , I will split the cases and soak the case in lacquer thinner for a day to get the oil out. Hope it will work. The case is magnesium so it may be tougher, I don't know.

Think it was running lean?View attachment 584445
I'm appalled. That's just ignorance! I'm only guilty of abuse.
I had one with about the same size tear
that I tuned way back into a random stroke then brought back up the high and ran it for about 8 days falling. It was a cheap BB kit that I didn't really care about.
It made it but it wouldn't have made it much longer. It was just black inside when I got to it.

Split the cases today, going to see a welder tomorrow. To see if it is worth welding before I go a different route.

Here is a past copy post from thread "372xp vs 371xp" posted by user name
w8ye in 2012

"I have a 371XP and compared with the non-strato 372 here are the differences with my chainsaw. Keep in mind that there wre some on-going changes to the 371 so there may be some differences. The origninal 371 piston was single ring but can be interchanged with the later non strato piston. The top cooling fin on the cylinder is shapped different than the 372 and does not have the rubber grommet in the right front bolt hole.

The 371 has the bar adjust in the crankcase with access on the front of thechainsaw beside the bar.
The 372 has the bar adjust in the coiver with access from the clutch side of thechainsaw

The 371 has the 272 style starter pawls and pulley and they are not like the 372 components however, you can convert to the new style

The top cover is shapped a little different and does not have the falling aiming stripes. That air filter cover clamps are red instead of black.

The gas tank/rear handle is more of a solid color orange

Back