Husqvarna 372xt auto return switch mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05_sprcrw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently built a 372xt from a couple donor saws and had a regular switch in there at first. But after trying to turn the switch on with gloves I got to wondering if I could put an auto return switch on it instead of the standard switch.

I had a 223L weed eater at home that had one on it so I compared the two size wise and the outside of the switches were the same dimensions so I broke down and ordered one for my saw, figured it was only a $20 gamble. ( part number
537419001)

It arrived last night, but it had a slightly larger blade on one of the two connectors. I cut the old one off and put a larger blade connector back on fired up the saw and killed it. Worked great and was a quick and easy mod. I now have one in the mail for my 394 which appears to be the same size switch but I can't say for sure if it will work 100% yet, but it did for sure work in the 372xt.

Installed and tested:
20150225_182607_zpscwaspqv2.jpg

Difference in the one connector sizes:
20150225_182921_zpslybnnu2v.jpg

Not sure if anyone else is interested in the mod or not but figured I would share, surely I am not the only one that has wanted an auto return switch on these saws.

It works in the 394xp as well just needed to change the "eye" wire end with the larger spade end and bend the spade end up a bit. Forgot to get a picture of this one in but it does fit and work in the 394xp.

Good to see I am not the only one who prefers it this way.

Confirmed to work in:

372xt
394xp
395xp

Should try to keep a running list for others.

This mod just allows you to use a switch without the detent correct?

Instead of the switch that is either on or off depending on which way you slide it, this one is a momentary switch that you push to the right to shut the saw off. After the saw is off and you let go of the switch it will slide back to the run position with a spring.

Another way to think of it is an always open momentary switch that closes when you slide it to the right creating a ground and shuts down the saw and returns back to the open position (run).

I'll be putting one on my 372. The only things I don't like about my saw is that cheap switch and the fact that mine will not crank cold with the decompression valve open. It won't pull fuel into carb after it's been sitting.

Seems odd, mine will start no problems cold with the decompression valve open. Usually have to pull choke on, pull till the pop usually 3-4 pulls and if I am quick enough I can kick the choke off and keep the saw running without another pull. Once warm its always a one pull start. Have you checked your impulse/fuel lines for cracks maybe you have a bit of an air leak developing.

Back