Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
Well, the first picture shows the good part of my backyard. The second shows what I've been working on. The third shows what the second area used to look like. Geographically speaking, the pictures are left to right in numerical order. The second picture is the area planned to be actual lawn in the future. The third picture shows land that may be slightly cleared where it borders the second area/picture.

Clear as beer?:D

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I also need to rebuild the shed, get rid of those leaf piles, get rid of that pile of top growth from what I've already felled, and still have a lot of wood to split and stack, not to mention setting up more woodpiles (I'm making sure they're off of the ground). I'm not a very handy guy with building stuff but I'm hell on brute labor, even with my rebuilt shoulder and elbow :D

The little Fiskars X25 has really grown on me but it really needs a pound or two more of weight in the axe head. For most of my splitting work, it's fine but there's definitely some pieces of wood it can't split cleanly in one shot. I really wish I'd bought its big brother, the X27 :(

13244758_564373597074201_1505731669115218373_n.jpg

I think that the fine dust build up was from when I turned up the oiler to maximum when flush cutting some stumps therefore contributing to buildup in the clutch cover but I've definitely had times when I should have switched chains and didn't.

Unfortunately, I work at my day job NOT cutting wood and only get to cut/split/stack after work during the hottest part of the day. Yesterday, I sweated all of the way through the pants I was wearing under my chaps. I need to switch to shorts under the chaps or look for some chaps that are better for hot weather.

I also need to rebuild the shed, get rid of those leaf piles, get rid of that pile of top growth from what I've already felled, and still have a lot of wood to split and stack, not to mention setting up more woodpiles (I'm making sure they're off of the ground). I'm not a very handy guy with building stuff but I'm hell on brute labor, even with my rebuilt shoulder and elbow :D

Thanks for the photos. Looks like a nice back yard for the kids to play in.
Those leaf piles will compost down and provide good garden soil nutrients in about a year. I make a fence out of pallettes or chicken wire around tight leaf piles and then when composted, throw it into the vegy garden in the spring. Free organic fertilizer.

The little Fiskars X25 has really grown on me but it really needs a pound or two more of weight in the axe head. For most of my splitting work, it's fine but there's definitely some pieces of wood it can't split cleanly in one shot. I really wish I'd bought its big brother, the X27 :(

View attachment 504707
Find something 4 to 4-1/2lb - I bet you find it just right for splitting like I have. You can actually get a decent weight axe at Harbor Freight cheap if there is one near you, but the handle won't last long and profile is very narrow. It works well for some wood but will get stuck a lot in others - I prefer something with wider profile wedge at the edge for splitting. And you can always put a new handle on it.

Thanks for the photos. Looks like a nice back yard for the kids to play in.
Those leaf piles will compost down and provide good garden soil nutrients in about a year. I make a fence out of pallettes or chicken wire around tight leaf piles and then when composted, throw it into the vegy garden in the spring. Free organic fertilizer.

Thanks, man. I have a lot of leaves to get rid of, including that pile. I just have too much. I'll still have plenty left over for fertilizer.

Nice pics, great looking yard!;)

Thank you! It's a work in process. For out here in Northern Virginia, five acres is huge. Back home in Wyoming...not so much :D

Taking it easy on my rebuilt shoulder after splitting wood yesterday so I'm cleaning up along the driveway. These trees will just line the property line with the neighbor's few acres of forest so I'm limbing them just enough so they'll lay flat. The second picture is to the right of the driveway leaving the house.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Back