Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
21 tanks so far. After refilling for the last time yesterday, it was hard to start. I assume that's because of fuel and the high ambient temperature outside? First time that I've seen it. It did not repeat that after the one time.

Please don't say "just find one of these XYZ saw's for the same price used" unless you have an actual link for said deal.

I'm a hard working homeowner with a few acres and lots and lots of wood to cut. My trees rarely get over one foot in width. I have two wood stoves. I want a saw I can rely upon.

I have a local Husqvarna dealer. I have made contact with a Dolmar dealer on here that I trust.

I have a 51 Husqvarna I just went though, OEM P/C, woods ported, strong saw... $300 SHIPPED PHO to you, check it out here...

Better then both saws you listed IMHO.

Good call Corey and thank you. Yeah have a ported CS600 that does pretty well for itself!!!

21 tanks so far. After refilling for the last time yesterday, it was hard to start. I assume that's because of fuel and the high ambient temperature outside? First time that I've seen it. It did not repeat that after the one time.

Heat ... I'm *guessing* once the cat is gone, it will run cooler and not choke like that.

I like my two year warranty though.
Ya that's why I've been hesitant to remove mine as well.

I had a vapour lock near the end of the first time I ran mine. It was after pushing it hard, bucking up a 16" x 30' log non-stop (wanted to see how it would handle medium sized sticks that are more suited to my 562) on a very unusually hot day. In retrospect, a little slower breaking in period might have been a good idea ;)
Guessing the cat holding lots of heat didn't help.

If Fordf150 sees this, any thoughts?

Ya that's why I've been hesitant to remove mine as well.

I had a vapour lock near the end of the first time I ran mine. It was after pushing it hard, bucking up a 16" x 30' log non-stop (wanted to see how it would handle medium sized sticks that are more suited to my 562) on a very unusually hot day. In retrospect, a little slower breaking in period might have been a good idea ;)
Guessing the cat holding lots of heat didn't help.

If Fordf150 sees this, any thoughts?

I am not him, but if I had 20 plus tanks in and had a cat muffler, out it goes, or modded! Also time to retune. Those rings are as seated as they will get.

I personally don't give a flip about warranties, maybe just a few tanks max, then on to modding/grinding whatever. Most of the time, most shops just utter the mantra STRAIGHT GASSED. Better to have it tuned correctly and muffler flowing like it should. Running cool is the best warranty you will get. Running with carb set too lean then with a cat perverter heating things up..meh, pass.

I am not him, but if I had 20 plus tanks in and had a cat muffler, out it goes, or modded! Also time to retune. Those rings are as seated as they will get.

I personally don't give a flip about warranties, maybe just a few tanks max, then on to modding/grinding whatever. Most of the time, most shops just utter the mantra STRAIGHT GASSED. Better to have it tuned correctly and muffler flowing like it should. Running cool is the best warranty you will get. Running with carb set too lean then with a cat perverter heating things up..meh, pass.

I understand but I trust in @fordf150 to take care of me if I have an issue during my warranty period. Plus, I know very little about tuning. I also prefer to keep my saw factory in order to have said two year warranty protection. I'm not a chainsaw tuner nor a modder; I'm a homeowner who needs a tool that always works.

I don't see the cat as pessimistic as many here. Sure it heats up, sure it takes longer to cool down, but as lont as no major plastic pieces are around there is hardly anything to worry about in my eyes. WHY? Because even if the cat heats up, it will NEVER reach the inside temperatures of the combustion engine. Although removing clearly benifits the engines responsivness. On the other hand the exhausts clearly are not as bad with a cat muffler!

I understand but I trust in @fordf150 to take care of me if I have an issue during my warranty period. Plus, I know very little about tuning. I also prefer to keep my saw factory in order to have said two year warranty protection. I'm not a chainsaw tuner nor a modder; I'm a homeowner who needs a tool that always works.

That's fine. You are just on a board that is full of chainsaw enthusiasts (among other engine oriented pursuits). Very simple stuff is..very simple to most of us. To each their own, personally, got no use for cat converters in small engines, nor epa mandated too lean tune, although I would bet your dealer took care of that part. ;) Just most saws after break in need a scosh of adjusting, but..fly with what ya got, have fun, glad you are getting some work done. Sell off that pp5020 for shipping to some member who wants to dork around with it, chalk it up to a learning experience. Buy once even if a higher price for something you need, cry once.

22 tanks now. Yesterday was the hottest day so far that I've ran that 421, no issues with vapor lock this time. I had a really difficult time felling a hard leaning white oak yesterday but got it done.

Back