Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
@NC Cutter
I dont think there is any one thing that makes people love the 421 but rather its a combination of traits that make it great all around small saw that in many cases feels like it punches above its class

well said ...

EA4300/421 - I like the weight, the handling, the sturdy feel, the quality build, the easy start is like none other, the power is impressive, the suspension is top notch, the reported long term reliability, the low price. Have I missed anything? - lol :happy:

Haven't been able to get up the hill this past week and it's raining hard today, so now that the cat is out I'll look for an opportunity next week to tune the saw on some rounds in my back yard.

Enjoy your weekend.

EA4300/421 - I like the weight, the handling, the sturdy feel, the quality build, the easy start is like none other, the power is impressive, the suspension is top notch, the reported long term reliability, the low price. Have I missed anything? - lol :happy:

Yes, you should've put an "O" face after that saw-gasm you just had there lol.
:cold:

well said ...

Haven't been able to get up the hill this past week and it's raining hard today, so now that the cat is out I'll look for an opportunity next week to tune the saw on some rounds in my back yard.

Enjoy your weekend.

Note:
Forgot to add under the LIKE category: it is dead easy to do a muffler mod.

Only downside for me is the oiler on an 18" bar the ea4300 comes with is too stingy especially when you're burrying the bar (ya I know, this is after all just a 42cc, not my 562 - but it has the power to do much more than a normal 42cc IF the oiler gushed a little more). 16" bar or less would be far better on this saw to take advantage of its nice grunt as well as keep the bar from plugging up.

With all the 421 love would someone post a video of one noodling some hard wood?

Only downside for me is the oiler on an 18" bar the ea4300 comes with is too stingy especially when you're burrying the bar (ya I know, this is after all just a 42cc, not my 562 - but it has the power to do much more than a normal 42cc IF the oiler gushed a little more).
Now now, don't get too excited - that's not much of a test. Even my "normal" unported 42cc plastic Poulan will run an 18" bar buried in hardwood, and oil it too. Of course they'll oil everything else too, sometimes even without power.

I'll try to sooner or later, just busy splitting and stacking all of the wood it's already felled :D. Plus, that heat wave has been kicking.
Well that is the point of noodling to save yourself from swinging a maul.
Sweet gum hard enough for you? By noodling you mean rip cut?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yep rip cut. How does sweet gum compair to oak or hickory?
Either way I would like to check it out.

Of course I donot recomend a bar length over 16 inch on such a saw size irrespective of model/brand.

Well, you won't like the 20" semi-skip picco I will have on my 241 soon then. Who knows - I may not either, but I won't die wondering.

Well, you won't like the 20" semi-skip picco I will have on my 241 soon then. Who knows - I may not either, but I won't die wondering.
I don't remember ever seeing semi skip chain here. Although I wouldn't wonder if they had them on the supermarkt specials with 35cc and 16inch bar or 40cc and 18 inch bar.

Well that is the point of noodling to save yourself from swinging a maul.

Yep rip cut. How does sweet gum compair to oak or hickory?
Either way I would like to check it out.
It's a bit softer than hickory or water oak, quite a bit softer than laurel or live oak.

I have 4 laurel oaks, a half dead stunted live oak, and a massive long dead live oak to come down in the clearing I am working but those will be a few weekends away yet.

uploadfromtaptalk1465806120365.jpg

It's a bit softer than hickory or water oak, quite a bit softer than laurel or live oak.

I have 4 laurel oaks, a half dead stunted live oak, and a massive long dead live oak to come down in the clearing I am working but those will be a few weekends away yet.

View attachment 508116

Lots of nice wood! Do you have to watch your step for venomous snakes? Nature channel shows Florida as creepy crawler reptile heaven :cold:

Yes Coral snakes, I have killed about half a dozen over the years, about twice that got away.

There are eastern diamond backs in this part of the state but they like dry sandy pine Forrest, they don't like the oak hammock I live in.

uploadfromtaptalk1466043003070.jpg

We have several kinds of rat snakes, black racers and several variety of lizards and frogs, and of course a seamingly endless variety of bugs, saw a grey cammo praying mantis on one of the felled trunks, has he not been moving i would have never seen him.

If I have the ability to eradicate the corals here I will, 2 young kids and a third in the way. But moast likely my efforts will just keep the numbers down.

Lol, at 98 degrees with a matching humidity most of the time we run around in flip flops, unless I am doing serious work, work boots only come out when absolutely necessary.

Last time I ran the saw it was boots, boxer shorts, ear plugs, safety glasses and saw chaps, that's it, still had to stop and head inside drink lots of water on a regular basis. The sweat just rains off of you, with high humidity it does not evaporate to cool you off.

Lol, at 98 degrees with a matching humidity most of the time we run around in flip flops, unless I am doing serious work, work boots only come out when absolutely necessary.

Last time I ran the saw it was boots boxer shorts and saw chaps, that's it, still had to stop and head inside drink lots of water on a regular basis. The sweat just rains off of you, with high humidity it does not evaporate to cool you off.

That's about how what I have to do, wearing pants with the chaps is enough to kill a woodsman. The heat is picking up.

Back