Husqvarna 455 rancher oiling problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allisnut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given a 445 because it had quit oiling. I put fresh gas in it and got it running without any trouble. I let it run without a bar for a couple of minutes, and sure enough, no oil from the oil pump outlet. I dumped the tank and check the inside, looked clean & the pick up screen looks OK. I also checked the oiler output adjustment, it is set to the highest flow position.

Now for the newbie questions:

1. How do I get the clutch off? I'd seen something about modifying a socket, but this does have anything resembling a hex to get the socket on.

2. How do I go about troubleshooting the oil pump, other than taking the clutch off and digging in?

I don't know that it matters, but based on the serial number I think it is a 2007 model.

Thanks,

Adam

I was given a 445 because it had quit oiling. I put fresh gas in it and got it running without any trouble. I let it run without a bar for a couple of minutes, and sure enough, no oil from the oil pump outlet. I dumped the tank and check the inside, looked clean & the pick up screen looks OK. I also checked the oiler output adjustment, it is set to the highest flow position.

Now for the newbie questions:

1. How do I get the clutch off? I'd seen something about modifying a socket, but this does have anything resembling a hex to get the socket on.

2. How do I go about troubleshooting the oil pump, other than taking the clutch off and digging in?

I don't know that it matters, but based on the serial number I think it is a 2007 model.

Thanks,

Adam

Did you just let it idle and wait for oil to come out? If so, then put your booger hook on the go switch a little and that should get er pumpin...

If you did that and want to remove the clutch without a special tool:

About 3 min in

[video=youtube;aAtqBtAbmGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAtqBtAbmGE[/video]

I've had some trouble with the line from the tank to the pump getting obstructed. Remove the oil pump and blow air through the line into the tank. This will hopefully dislodge the obstruction and allow oil to flow.

This is of course saying nothing of a sized oil pump, torn line, or mangled plastic pump drive gear.

Your local Husqvarna dealer has access to the clutch removal tool. They are inexpensive, just go pick one up.

Your local Husqvarna dealer has access to the clutch removal tool. They are inexpensive, just go pick one up.

Or just place a metal chisel or a suitable (flat) screwdriver as flat as it goes in one of the recesses, and knock the clutch loose with a "snappy" strike with a hammer or club. No piston stop needed when doing that right.

oops...........

Well, the good news is that I got the clutch off. The bad news is I apparently don't know my own strength. After only one good, sharp whack with the 32oz hammer, I had a multi-piece clutch.:buttkick: It finally dawned on me that a crow foot wrench would work good here. An 18mm crow foot and a 12" extension worked great to break the clutch loose.

So far, I've figured out that the plastic oiler drive gear looks good, the oiler turns freely, the inside cover plate has a huge hole in it, and everything under the plate is gunked up. Oh yeah, did I mention I figured out the clutch is broke?:clap:

I'll clean it up and take it apart further tomorrow, and make sure the pick up line is not clogged.

Thanks,

Adam

View attachment 265573
View attachment 265574

Cleaned everything up real well today, removed the saw dust / crud from the oil lines, and put it all back together. SInce I don't have a clutch yet, I used a die grinder to spin the drum, and had oil at the bar port in about 5 seconds.

Thanks for the guidance!

Adam

Back