Husqvarna 460 Rancher go then no go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIM81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new 460 from a local dealer this is only my second saw so still learning alot use it to cut firewood. So i read the manual see that it says more or less to take it easy for the first 10 hours or so , so i cut alot of small stuff until i figured i had 10 to 15 hours on the saw with no problems at all. I got a chance to grab some free maple it was a good size tree i was happy to finally see what this saw would do in a good size tree again bucking even the large limbs no problem start to drop the 12' trunk the tree service left standing 5' from the customer house and no power at all bogging and not running well finally get it down and start bucking it and it runs good again well it got worse over the next days so i bring it back to the dealer they were great they dropped everything to look at my saw they tried it and it did the same thing so they tried to tune it up and they tried it again and it ran great i was happy took the saw home and since i work nights i waited till the next morning to cut some wood. The next morning saws running great i get like 5 cuts and start #6 hit WOT saw dies did this three more times put it back in the truck back to dealer i go they start it up hold it WOT not cutting anything and it runs good for like a min and then dies ! The dealer still has it they are thinking a fuel line is getting kinked or pinched only sometimes. Anyone heard of anything like this on this model saw before? Or any other ideas ? Thanks

Hi, I just bought a new 460 from a local dealer this is only my second saw so still learning alot use it to cut firewood. So i read the manual see that it says more or less to take it easy for the first 10 hours or so , so i cut alot of small stuff until i figured i had 10 to 15 hours on the saw with no problems at all. I got a chance to grab some free maple it was a good size tree i was happy to finally see what this saw would do in a good size tree again bucking even the large limbs no problem start to drop the 12' trunk the tree service left standing 5' from the customer house and no power at all bogging and not running well finally get it down and start bucking it and it runs good again well it got worse over the next days so i bring it back to the dealer they were great they dropped everything to look at my saw they tried it and it did the same thing so they tried to tune it up and they tried it again and it ran great i was happy took the saw home and since i work nights i waited till the next morning to cut some wood. The next morning saws running great i get like 5 cuts and start #6 hit WOT saw dies did this three more times put it back in the truck back to dealer i go they start it up hold it WOT not cutting anything and it runs good for like a min and then dies ! The dealer still has it they are thinking a fuel line is getting kinked or pinched only sometimes. Anyone heard of anything like this on this model saw before? Or any other ideas ? Thanks

IMO, that is why you need a great dealer!
When you buy or trade for these used, sometimes very well used saws, you work out the problems yourself ( with AS members help), but a new saw, warranty work.....

nope

On rare occasions I've seen fuel lines "walk" on some saws. I've only seen it a couple of times and if I recall they were on Echo saws, but that doesn't mean it's limited to just them. As the line pulls through one way or the other it will tend to kink. I would think the fuel tank vent would be the next step if the fuel lines look positioned properly.

4/4/11

Thanks for the info- already thinking of what saw to get if this one never gets right (we are on strick two) - stihl 311 or 391 or in husky 346xp or a 359 but the 359's at this dealer all have the green gas caps that i have read so much neg stuff about and about the stihl's i am not crazy about the flip caps just seems like too easy to break off

I once had the 460's little brother,455 rancher, what a POS mine was. It did just like you are saying yours does. After about three months of trip after trip to the dealer I ask for my money back and they gladly gave it up. I found a lightly used 372xp and never looked back. Good luck with yours.

hey subhunter

so your dealer never got it right what did they do? to the saw before they gave your money back?

Last edited:
They changed the fuel line, tried countless times to 'retune' it, 3-4 plugs. It only acted up one time I was there but it seemed as if almost everytime I used it,especially in warmer weather it would act up. One time they even said I maybe "using too much oil in my mix". I have been using 40:1 for several years and that is what I had in that saw.

But for what it is worth, after joining this site and learning to fix my own saws, the guys at that dealer are,at least in my mind, complete dummies.

ok

yeah i run 40:1 as well i tought it was mabe that so i mixed a batch of 50:1 like the manual says but it ran the same----- like i said this is strick two i have had good luck with husky stuff my other saw is and leaf blower and trimmer and hedge trimmer all husky all no problems { (knock on wood)that i cant cut with that 460 yet }

Last edited:
any central Mass delears repair

like i said the dealer/repair place has been great so far but anybody know of good dealer/repair in central mass just in case

Last edited:

Haven't heard that one on a new saw yet, but statistically there is a first time for everything. Sounds to me like a tank vent related issue if your getting a few cuts then it dies...and restarts later for a few. Takes some time to get to a point the carb can no longer draw fuel. Also sounds like a warranty issue. Either / Or shouldn't be hard to solve. I've had several of my old saws built from junk have that symptom..pretty familiar actually and usually its just a plugged tank vent from old chips &hardened oil related stuff. I guess it could be a fuel line..but I doubt it. Same with carb kit and pulse related issues.

I had a MS170 once that had been tossed around from one guy to the next to try and debug why it wouldn't run. Finally it came to me on a trade as a non running saw (You know who u are!) Looked like new. Would start up and run for a few seconds then die...fuel starvation. I went around the block on all the standard fuel starvation issues...even swapped carbs and ignition from a runner...was just stumped. SO I decided to tear it apart...right to the crank as obviously nothing else was making a difference.

I found it literally didn't have the pulse hole/circuit drilled in the cylinder to run the carb. I wonder how it ever ran even for the few seconds it did! Came that way from the factory..wonder how it ever left the dealer! Except it would run fine for a few seconds...enough for a test cut. SO I drilled a hole, it ran perfectly and then I sold it. Guy is happy as can be with his little Stihl. Like I said, there is a first time for everything!

Last edited:
well

well i finally got the saw back(4/9/11) and so far it seems ok they replaced gas lines and a new carb i asked when i picked it up whats next if it isnt right and while we didnt talk money they said bring it back and "we'll get you into a stihl" not sure how i feel about that yet

You have to wonder on dealers with the two different "major" brands. They have to have a preference. I wonder what the margins on the Stihl vs. Husqvarna line. I do know some dealers are still bent over the Husqvarna box store strategy. I know when I was in the motorcycle line of work, some dealer would sign up for as many brands as they could...then use the brands range to attract and then with authority say they feel one brand is better than another. Good sales strategy. bad for the brands on the short end of that stick as those preferences permeate the market for years to come.

Margins aren't going to be a whole lot different, negligible to say the least.

You have people that recognize Husqvarna, like it, love it, whaterver. And the same for Stihl. Oh my dad had a Stihl for years, that's what I'll get.... If you carry both brands, you get both customers. If the saws are right next to each other, the customer gets to put their hands all over both and choose which one they like better. It's tough to make a decision when you have to drive down the road. Usually the second stop gets the sale because the drive back just isn't worth it.

Warranty work doesn't pay well. If the dealer did what they could reasonably with one brand, they may just as well switch over to another and start fresh while they can and not lose any money on the deal. All that matters is the customer is still happy with what they have in the end.

If you don't want to "get into a Stihl" because you chose Husqvarna in the first place for a good reason, then tell them you don't want the Stihl. There's no reason your 460 shouldn't run just fine.

I know this is an old thread, but I have been having problems with my 460 and I was able to get the workshop manual. As this thread came up high in the searches for the service/workshop manual I will share the manuals location here for other people to use: Husqvarna_Chainsaw_455_Rancher_460_Parts_and_Service_Manual.pdf - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BBO4nnCBUwWmJrMHh1T1A4RFk/edit?usp=sharing

I also attached the PDF to this post if the link should go bad someday.

Attachments

• Husqvarna_Chainsaw_455_Rancher_460_Parts_and_Service_Manual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back