Husqvarna 465 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luca

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I do woodturning and a couple of days ago I've bought a new 465 Rancher to cut logs and have them ready for the lathe. When the chainsaw arrived, I've followed the instructions step by step and it started and ran smoothly (just for 10 seconds, then I've switched it off). Starting from the following day, I've not been able to start the chainsaw anymore; I've followed the same steps I did in the previous day, but after around 15-20 minutes of trials the saw never shown even a minimal sign of starting. I have very minimal experience with engines, but from the basic troubleshooting I did I was able to confirm that the spark plug is working, hence I believe that both the spark plug and the coil should be ok (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, beside sending the saw back to the vendor, could you please recommend some other troubleshoot to do? Would it make sense to remove the carb in order to check/fix if it is clogged?

Thanks, Luca

Sounds like she's flooded. Give the saw a nice break and try again.

Sounds like she's flooded. Give the saw a nice break and try again.
Hi Greg. I've tried today after around 24h of idle, and she's still not working. How long would you recommend to wait? Also, removing the air filter or the spark plug may help in getting rid of the flood? Thanks, Luca

Is the plug wet with fuel when you pull it out? If yes;
To "unflood it", take the plug out, and with the switch in the off position, choke off, hold the throttle wide open with one hand and pull the starter 5 or 6 times real fast. If it sprays out, it was flooded.
A lighter will dry the plug out. (be careful).
The reason to put the switch in the "off" position is that I had a saw once that was really flooded from a bad fuel pump diaphragm that flowed down the impulse hose. When I pulled the starter to unflood it out of the spark plug hole, the ignition wire (that did not have a boot), produced a long spark that caught the saw on fire!..... Never had that happen in the 10 years of cutoff saws!

I always pull the plug, switch off, turn the saw over with bar laying on some wood or bar clamped into a vice and pull the rope to clear out cylinder and crankcase.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Clearing a wet foul. Just one of the reasons I dislike the self resetting , 3 second, kill switch.

Verify that you actually have a spark before doing anything else. I once acquired a saw from an owner that gave up and threw the saw away. The spark plug was loose. I tightened it and she started right up. I still have the saw.

Don't laugh, but did you make sure the switch is on. I only ask because I have done it before
I think that the switch on my saw is always either in "choke" position or in "throttle/ON" position. The 3rd position (OFF) is obtained by pushing down the start button, but actually the button itself comes back in ON position automatically. If there is another ON position which I've considered...then I've just embarassed myself.

Thanks everyone for the hints. I will try to unflood the saw as suggested.

Thanks, Luca

Verify that you actually have a spark before doing anything else. I once acquired a saw from an owner that gave up and threw the saw away. The spark plug was loose. I tightened it and she started right up. I still have the saw.
Wood Doctor, I've checked it and the spark plug is firm in position. I've also bought another spark but nothing changed. Thanks, Luca

Wood Doctor, I've checked it and the spark plug is firm in position. I've also bought another spark but nothing changed. Thanks, Luca
OK, you have a spark. Chances are rather good that it's a fuel issue. Regardless, I would have the dealer look at it before going on. This is a new saw and dealers usually stand behind what they sell. You could have a defective carburetor or one that is very far out of adjustment. This should have been checked before you took possession.

Take it back.

OK, you have a spark. Chances are rather good that it's a fuel issue. Regardless, I would have the dealer look at it before going on. This is a new saw and dealers usually stand behind what they sell. You could have a defective carburetor or one that is very far out of adjustment. This should have been checked before you took possession.

Take it back.
Seems from the OP's original post that the saw was ordered and arrived by mail? (Maybe I'm reading wrong). Either way locating a local service dealer is good.
As for the issue of flooding. Buying a new spark plug will not help in a flooded engine as the fuel will just soak the new plug and close the gap. I recently sold a machine to a guy who brought it back to me insisting it was broke. I pulled the plug (wet with fuel) dried and reinstalled an NO start. Pulled the plug again and again soaked. I then turned the machine over with the plug towards the ground, pull the starter and fuel came spraying out (a lot) did that 4 a few times. Reinstalled the dry plug, pulled (NO CHOKE) and POP, held throttle wide open and retried and she fired up and cleared up after burning all the excess fuel out of the crankcase. Give that a try.

First of all, thanks everyone for the feedback

I've tried removing the spark plug and pulling the rope fast for some times, both with the saw in standard position or tilted upside down. The smell of gas is very strong, but there is no gas spraying from the plug's hole. Unfortunately the saw is still not working.

The saw was bought on eBay and was shipped to me, so I would actually prefer to avoid shipping it back and forth, if possible. The risk is to spend more with shipping fees vs. the actual cost of the repairing.

If anyone is from Idaho and is willing to spend a couple of minutes with me, I would really appreciate (and I will pay for the time, of course). Otherwise, I will see a repair shop in the next days.

Thanks again, Luca

Nevermind, it works! When I've tried to clean the spark the first times I've used a piece of tissue. Perhaps it was not very effective because this time I've tried with an air compressor, and now it runs smoothly :) Thanks again for the support and recommendations! Luca

First of all, thanks everyone for the feedback

I've tried removing the spark plug and pulling the rope fast for some times, both with the saw in standard position or tilted upside down. The smell of gas is very strong, but there is no gas spraying from the plug's hole. Unfortunately the saw is still not working.

The saw was bought on eBay and was shipped to me, so I would actually prefer to avoid shipping it back and forth, if possible. The risk is to spend more with shipping fees vs. the actual cost of the repairing.

If anyone is from Idaho and is willing to spend a couple of minutes with me, I would really appreciate (and I will pay for the time, of course). Otherwise, I will see a repair shop in the next days.

Thanks again, Luca
What part of Idaho are you from?

Like others have said I'm sure the only problem is the saw is flooded.
If I was you I would leave the spark plug out over night and pull the rope until the piston is BDC (all the day down).
Then tomorrow put the plug back in and try to start it with the lever in the on position (not choke) for 6 or 8 pulls. If it still doesn't fire try it with the choke on.

What part of Idaho are you from?

Like others have said I'm sure the only problem is the saw is flooded.
If I was you I would leave the spark plug out over night and pull the rope until the piston is BDC (all the day down).
Then tomorrow put the plug back in and try to start it with the lever in the on position (not choke) for 6 or 8 pulls. If it still doesn't fire try it with the choke on.
I'm from Boise (actually from Italy, but now I work in Micron). Thanks for the help - The saw now seems to work, but I will keep in mind your suggestion if it will be stuck again (since it is not clear to me what was the root cause, it may happen again..). Luca

Back