ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Husqvarna 51, any good?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by fearofpavement, Dec 2, 2011.

1. fearofpavement

fearofpavement Trying them all

I have located a Husqvarna 51 and am wondering if this is a decent saw? It is currently not running but has some parts to repair with it. I assume this is about a 50cc saw? And when were these made? Homeowner or pro grade? It appears very "experienced" but is <$100.00
    Thanks.

2. Sprintcar

Sprintcar Chainsaw Slut

Great base saw. I upgraded my 51 to a 55 cylinder and piston. Muffler modded and minor porting. Delete the base gasket put a good 16 inch bar with good chain and you have a great little saw.

3. hamish

hamish Addicted to ArboristSite

Not running and $100................mmm.......whats wrong with it and what parts does it need? a proper rebuild after the purchase price will push you beyond the cost of comparable new.............but it it just needs a carb kit and you can do it yourself......maybe.

Its experience level should dictate the price faded/banged up/gouges/burnt plastic on a running 50/51/55 =$50, on a non runner with pristine plastic and almost like new $100, cost recovery on the shiny parts will turn one a profit.

4. fearofpavement

fearofpavement Trying them all

bought the saw

Brought the 51 home. Looked at the piston and it is somewhat scuffed. Not as bad as straight gas but perhaps enough to affect it. It was a bit dim so I need to wait until I get in better light. Compression felt a bit "soft" so I checked that when I got home and it is 125 ish. (120, 129, 127 cold) on three tests.

I put a bit of mix in the carb and did get it to fire briefly a couple times. That's as far as I got.

Cosmetically the saw is fair. have seen lots worse and much better. It does seem to be complete and I didn't notice anything buggered or broken to the extent I looked at it. I am going to put in the carb kit and if that doesn't get it running will probably part it. Would maybe consider a ring if it appears that would help. This is my very first Husqvarna saw. I have a husky hedge clipper and one of my sons has a 455 Rancher but I thought I would give a different shade of orange a try. Oh, the AS member I bought it from had a sweet looking Stihl 441. Told him I'd give him $100 for it but he didn't accept my offer... Updates as I dig deeper into this project. I am whupped from a long day. We had to replace the right front tire of my truck today. (twice!)