Husqvarna 545 leaking bar oil while sitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckeand13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ran my new Husky 545 cutting down a few trees a couple weeks ago. Had a lot of fun, cut a bunch of wood.

After sitting unused for the next couple of days, it left some bar oil on the workbench. My older Pioneer 1073 does plenty of leaking, is it just something common with all saws? It did stop, so maybe it was just the bar groove draining back?

I'm using Husky white bottle / blue label bar oil if that makes any difference.

Does the pump just allow gravity to feed oil through it when it's sitting, or are there certain crank positions where pump passages are open? Not sure what kind of pump it is, or at least why it would allow a leak.

Venting issue, like I need to open and close the cap after use to relieve any pressure that could be (somehow) built up in the oil tank?

Thanks.

After shutting it off when done with a job, just open the oil cap and reseal it to equalize the pressure in the tank with that of the atmosphere; however, that little amount is likely just the oil in the bar groove running back down the bar and down to the surface. Pretty normal. Annoying, but normal. All saws do it, it's just a question of whether it gets noticed.

I have noticed that clean saws have a greater tendency to mark their territory. The sawdust and chips clinging to a dirty saw (and in the bar groove) will absorb the oil and will only leave a few drops.

With that little amount, though, I doubt it is leaking from the tank/pump. Saws leaking from the tank/pump will generally leave a much larger puddle, depending on how much oil was left in the tank.

My old Poulan Super DA would leak like a sieve in it's case, so I took it back to the dealer. He ran it, pulled the bar and chain and left it on his bench for a week. No leaks. As soon as I took it home, it started to leak again.

Got an older Husky 55 that leaks bar oil all the time and it doesn't seem to oil very good are these saws known for bar oil issues? Something I need to look at on saw for an easy fix? Got saw off of uddys dad who passed away so would like it to work as it should.

Take all the bar oil out and put some fuel mix in the tank and slosh it around for awhile then pour it out. Take the clutch cover off and check out the pump and the lines, also the one in the tank. I assume you've checked to make sure the bar openings are clean and the bar groove also and the holes line up. When everything is right on these saws I believe they oil okay. I think that has an adjustable oiler if I'm not mistaken.

Took bar off 55 Sat. Started it up had plenty of oil coming out of oiler hole put New bar and chain on seems ok. Talked to D and D in Salem,IN they said to bring it down and they will cut an extra groove in oiler somehow and it will actually oil better than what it is now. Thank between you and these guys I'm getting somewhere now.

Back