Husqvarna 55 Rancher no spark, even after new coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess its possible the flywheel is bad, but ive not come across that. sounds like a wiring issue. kill switch and wire good for sure?

Yes, kill switch and wire are disconnected. I just put the old coil back on and it has super weak spark. I'm at a loss. I'm considering picking up a real cheapo Chinese coil just to see.
I will also see if the the flywheel off my 50 is the same so I can try swapping.

hmmmm....not sure if the 50 flywheel is the same, interested to hear if that works. you are sure air gap is right, and flywheel key hasnt sheared?

I have two great running 55's. If you care to ship me the coil, I'll test it in a saw and ship it back. Try closing the gap. I've found some saws need a reduced gap to work well. Also, have you verified the flywheel is still in time? Hell, ship that too and I'll test the pair...
Check the flywheel part number to ensure it's a 55 part #

I have two great running 55's. If you care to ship me the coil, I'll test it in a saw and ship it back. Try closing the gap. I've found some saws need a reduced gap to work well. Also, have you verified the flywheel is still in time? Hell, ship that too and I'll test the pair...
Check the flywheel part number to ensure it's a 55 part #

I will keep that in mind. Thank you. I will try getting the gap a little tighter. I double checked it and it was at .014

and ive heard some people (who know a lot more than me) say that on some saws, some stihls especially, that a business card is too thick. they shoot for even less than .010

Are you pulling it with the recoil or using a drill to turn over? If using a drill you must spin in reverse from my the flywheel side. Also I've had aftermarket coils that had a piece of tin that touched the case that I had to bend away from the cases

Are you pulling it with the recoil or using a drill to turn over? If using a drill you must spin in reverse from my the flywheel side. Also I've had aftermarket coils that had a piece of tin that touched the case that I had to bend away from the cases

I am using a drill to turn it over. Yes I am spinning in reverse. I checked it over and cannot see anything grounded out.

There is one ground you do need make sure is happening here. That is the one from the coil laminates to the cylinder. Things like loose cylinder bolts can cause problems.

There is one ground you do need make sure is happening here. That is the one from the coil laminates to the cylinder. Things like loose cylinder bolts can cause problems.
ahhh that makes a ton of sense. my ohm meter at home is acting up, i plan on bringing my good one home from work. I will definitely be checking that.

so looking up part numbers.... does anyone know the difference between the 544018401 coil and the 544018301 coil??:angry:

Some of the Am coils are listed as replacements for both but I would stick with the following; unless someone here knows better as may be timing differences.

Husqvarna 544 01 84-01 OEM Ignition Module for 55, 61, 268, 272 Chainsaws

Husqvarna 544 01 83-01 OEM Ignition Module for 254, 257, 261, 262 Chainsaws

Some of the Am coils are listed as replacements for both but I would stick with the following; unless someone here knows better as may be timing differences.

Husqvarna 544 01 84-01 OEM Ignition Module for 55, 61, 268, 272 Chainsaws

Husqvarna 544 01 83-01 OEM Ignition Module for 254, 257, 261, 262 Chainsaws

It is confusing because some 55's list the 544 01 83 01 as the coil. I suppose it is a timing thing.

Howdy,
Your drill is going to need to be going at least 400-500 rpm's before it'll think about sparking. Flywheel gap is .3mm.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Your drill is going to need to be going at least 400-500 rpm's before it'll think about sparking. Flywheel gap is .3mm.
Regards
Gregg

ok thank you. I will recheck the gap, and I will verify that the drill is spinning fast enough. Thanks agian:)

I got it figured out. New oem husky coil.....bad:wtf: I ended up swapping coil and flywheel over from my 50 special. They aren't quite the same, but good enough for diagnostic purposes. I started by swapping both coil and flywheel. Got spark. Then I put the original flywheel on, got spark..... moral of the story.....I guess we can't trust new parts:dumb2::angry::(.
Now I hope I don't have a battle trying to return a faulty part.
Thanks to all who gave me advice:hi:

Latest posts

Back