Husqvarna 550xp vs echo cs490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this certainly derailed into a "you have poopy pants". "No, you do", kind of thread...

Wonder if the op bought a saw or decided to just swing an axe for half a cord a year? Lol.

Seriously, how much 'better' of a saw does one need to get that done? Personally I don't think he needs 'the best', but rather focus on something reliable, and serviceable. Saws that sit a lot are prone to fuel system issues. That's the primary reason I recommended an Echo. Easy enough to get a new carb and fuel line etc most anywhere via the Internet. Any potential speed advantage of the auto tune saws goes away fast if you need to have the carb serviced.

I'll try any of them just bring them to me full of fuel. I'll run it til its empty and hand it back if I don't like it, but I will try it. I haven't owned them all, but prefer the pro models. When I'm done with them they will sell quicker also and I am always thinking about the overall cost if I can afford the cost up front. This is why I normally by Husky and Stihl, but would give any saw a try if the price was right and I thought I could make a buck on it down the rd. I usually by a pro model used in the same price range as a new home owner model (in the 50-60cc class gets harder to do with 70+cc saws). Even a used pro saw is more fun, kinda like sawtroll says they interest me more (not that that means its best for the OP or that its the better saw. It's a what type of exercise is the right one for me sort thing, the one you will do. I mowed a buddy of mines yard this summer and he thought he wanted a mower like mine, then I told him the price. I told him he would be more likely to mow his yard if he enjoyed it. But when you put cost effectiveness into the package a Craftsman rider will work just fine and most people are not willing to spend an extra 5-6k on a mower up front. I just enjoy my Exmark, now we can start arguing about mowers too; no the standup models are better, no the sit-down version is what you need, but a walk behind would be more productive for the small yards you do and cheaper to haul, but what about when you want to expand you should just buy a 60" Exmark lazer z with air ride seat thats what we use the most and we have over 20 mowers. Same story different forum.
You may not have realized this, but I thought it was funny and some echo head might want to put this in their signature.
If echo fits the bill for some, more power to ya,:sucks::givebeer::givebeer:
I like the "more power to you" with the echo, thats classic. Just remember I could care less what brand as long as it gets my wood cut and its fun for me to run.

One stupid post after another from you, Husky boy. Steve

You call me Husky boy? I don't know what to say...maybe "thank you"?

Edit:

On a more serious note, I have absolutely nothing against Echo or any Brand of saws, but I am pissed of by the "Echo team" who can't support a single critic.
When someone say "this Echo has less hp than a ****** (replace ***** by every brand you want)", the Echo team come and say "stop bashing our brand, hp specs mean nothing".
When someone like Fordf150 or me post a comparative video where an Echo is outcut by a 6100 or a 560xp, the Echo team come and say "stop bashing Echo's, these vids mean nothing, I bet the the Echo has more torque, put a longer bar", or "with a simple muffler mod, the Echo will cut circles aroud the ******"

So please, be a little serious and stop whining each time someone say something you don't like about an Echo.

H
You call me Husky boy? I don't know what to say...maybe "thank you"?[/QUOTE
Hey Husky Boy( it's a title we should capitalize it going forward, it's just what's right).
What does you shirt say in the picture and what type of saw are you holding lol.
You probably cut more trees in a day than many on here cut in a month or a year including me, I'm listening:reading:.

You know guys if any brand of chainsaw invited us for a weekend trip gave us each a chainsaw, a fishing pole , a cooler full of red meat and a cooler full of cold beer I doubt anyone would be sitting around the huge fire we build bashing the saw!
Also how many time do you actually see someone selling a saw they "hate" a few at best.

The old logger who teach me my job told me when I was a kid: "The most important part is not the brand of the saw, what counts is to take care of your saw, and use a sharp chain". He used JRed saw for all this career, and now he use a Husky 560, cause he's pretty old and a bit tired, now.

You call me Husky boy? I don't know what to say...maybe "thank you"?

Edit:

On a more serious note, I have absolutely nothing against Echo or any Brand of saws, but I am pissed of by the "Echo team" who can't support a single critic.
When someone say "this Echo has less hp than a ****** (replace ***** by every brand you want)", the Echo team come and say "stop bashing our brand, hp specs mean nothing".
When someone like Fordf150 or me post a comparative video where an Echo is outcut by a 6100 or a 560xp, the Echo team come and say "stop bashing Echo's, these vids mean nothing, I bet the the Echo has more torque, put a longer bar", or "with a simple muffler mod, the Echo will cut circles aroud the ******"

So please, be a little serious and stop whining each time someone say something you don't like about an Echo.

So your videos prove that Echo's can be outcut, but others videos don't prove squat? People can bash Echo's all they want, I don't care, I just think a lot of people are put of by a solid brand because "die hard ***** brand lovers" say they are better. I have more Huskies then Echo's, I just think its ridiculous how saw brands get people SO bent out of shape.

The biggest (and main) issue I have with husky is poor CS, communication and autotune service. I would gladly run any saw in you sig, my sig and most peoples sig, a fun cutting saw is a fun cutting saw. I think that each brand has pros/cons that can effect the end user in a greater manner then just HP/torque/etc... My favorite saw to run is my 371/385 that rattler ported. Just plain mean and can cut, cut cut but sometimes I want a better handling saw. Regardless of #s (published) the 620 is better handling then the 562 (for me) and I like the in board clutch. Also, no Autotune is a plus for me. I don't personally care if others like Echo, I just want to share information with those looking at new saws.

It seems as if we forget here (AS) that sometimes people come with zero cutting experience. They may not have the funds, desire or self proclaimed need for a "Pro" saw with a lesser warranty. They man not need "Pro" power or will sacrifice power for weight. For me its not this vs. that but rather sharing observations for others to learn from, view and assist others in making an informed decision.

You don't know what you don't know, you know? :)

That old loggers attitude is how more people need to be. The problem is many grew up being taught that there is only one brand.
Nice 064, and Stihl shirt. I'm not as proud of my first saw, but I learned on my own and have made many mistakes along the way.
Here's a picture of my first saw. I would like to challenge everyone to put up a picture of their first saw and to have a good laugh instead of bashing one another.20151105_093134.jpg
I still have it. I may get it going for my boy or buy him and echo cs310 lol.

So your videos prove that Echo's can be outcut, but others videos don't prove squat? People can bash Echo's all they want, I don't care, I just think a lot of people are put of by a solid brand because "die hard ***** brand lovers" say they are better. I have more Huskies then Echo's, I just think its ridiculous how saw brands get people SO bent out of shape.

The biggest (and main) issue I have with husky is poor CS, communication and autotune service. I would gladly run any saw in you sig, my sig and most peoples sig, a fun cutting saw is a fun cutting saw. I think that each brand has pros/cons that can effect the end user in a greater manner then just HP/torque/etc... My favorite saw to run is my 371/385 that rattler ported. Just plain mean and can cut, cut cut but sometimes I want a better handling saw. Regardless of #s (published) the 620 is better handling then the 562 (for me) and I like the in board clutch. Also, no Autotune is a plus for me. I don't personally care if others like Echo, I just want to share information with those looking at new saws.

It seems as if we forget here (AS) that sometimes people come with zero cutting experience. They may not have the funds, desire or self proclaimed need for a "Pro" saw with a lesser warranty. They man not need "Pro" power or will sacrifice power for weight. For me its not this vs. that but rather sharing observations for others to learn from, view and assist others in making an informed decision.

You don't know what you don't know, you know? :)

I don't include you in the "Echo cheerleader team", you know. I really enjoyed your videos, and you seems to know what you're talking about, not like some other Echo guys. I had the chance to run a 620, and I never said it wasn't a good saw. You just miss one point, if most of AS members are from USA, many guys live in Europe or Australia. And I can assure you, in many European countries, Echo's will be the last choice because of their crazy high prices.

For the exemple, I'll never say to someone here to buy a 590 or a 490, their prices are too close from good pro models from Dolmar and Husky.

I liked the Echo 510, I had the chance to use one, and it was a great runner, but when you can buy a 550 or even a 261 for less money, you'll never buy the Echo.

Same thing for the 620, why would someone buy one at €930 when the Dolly 6100 is available at €619 until the end of january?

I don't include you in the "Echo cheerleader team", you know. I really enjoyed your videos, and you seems to know what you're talking about, not like some other Echo guys. I had the chance to run a 620, and I never said it wasn't a good saw. You just miss one point, if most of AS members are from USA, many guys live in Europe or Australia. And I can assure you, in many European countries, Echo's will be the last choice because of their crazy high prices.

For the exemple, I'll never say to someone here to buy a 590 or a 490, their prices are too close from good pro models from Dolmar and Husky.

I liked the Echo 510, I had the chance to use one, and it was a great runner, but when you can buy a 550 or even a 261 for less money, you'll never buy the Echo.

Same thing for the 620, why would someone buy one at €930 when the Dolly 6100 is available at €619 until the end of january?

Thank you for that. I do not consider geographical disposition in regards to cost, I guess I should (even though I am not experienced with current international prices or exchange rates.) I am surprised that they would be more expensive (comparatively) elsewhere then in the US... Is the Dolmar/Makita the same mount as a Husky? I think someday I would like to try a bigger Dol/Makita that's ported. I think I may email @MillerModSaws or something to that names effect and see what he can do.

Is your PS7900 ported?

On another note, my first saw was a old (when I got it) craftsman 42cc saw, started using it when I was 8... my dad would give me it and I would have to limb all the pine tree's. It blew up and is still in pieces as its not really worth the $ in parts. :/

The husky cost 550 the echo cost $350. What is the echo I noticed it looks different is it actually a shindawia? I'm an occasional user I know probably bother are overkill for the half a cord I cut a year. My other saw is a ms170

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your still reading post and havn't purchased a saw yet. You might look at something in the middle of those 2 prices like Husky 545 or Jonsered 2252

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that. I do not consider geographical disposition in regards to cost, I guess I should (even though I am not experienced with current international prices or exchange rates.) I am surprised that they would be more expensive (comparatively) elsewhere then in the US... Is the Dolmar/Makita the same mount as a Husky? I think someday I would like to try a bigger Dol/Makita that's ported. I think I may email @MillerModSaws or something to that names effect and see what he can do.

Is your PS7900 ported?

On another note, my first saw was a old (when I got it) craftsman 42cc saw, started using it when I was 8... my dad would give me it and I would have to limb all the pine tree's. It blew up and is still in pieces as its not really worth the $ in parts. :/
I'd be more than happy to help you in any way I can on a new dolmar of your choice! :)

This new echo/shindaiwa model based on the same platform looks like it may compete with some of the better 50cc saws, like the 545, 2252, 353 etc, but not quite there in power to 5105, 550, 261. A step in the right direction, and I like what appears to be a non spring assist starter. Should be slimmer.

http://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/echo_global/products/category_detail/id=8303

Yes, the 501SX looks like it is a step closer than the 490 and 500ES. I have posted about it here a few times already.

What I don't know is if the saw called 500P in the US is the 500ES or the 501SX - or a third variant....

Latest posts

Back