Husqvarna 61 vs 61 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys...part of the reason for getting the 61 was so I could put the 272 P&C on it down the road. The saw does have the Tillotson HS-254A carb, which makes me happy.

so is the 61 rancher the same as a 61 with less power?

Yes, basically, but lots of other changes were made trough the years (very long living model number).

I have read that the early 61 had open transfers (pre '83 or '88?), which might account for the difference in HP. The Rancher and the 61 shared 2 carbs, but the HS-254A was specific to the later 61s.

I have read that the early 61 had open transfers (pre '83 or '88?), which might account for the difference in HP. The Rancher and the 61 shared 2 carbs, but the HS-254A was specific to the later 61s.

That sounds logical, but I haven't really looked into it. :popcorn:

I never found the 61 a very interesting saw model, as it always was the weakest one in its "family".

That sounds logical, but I haven't really looked into it. :popcorn:

I never found the 61 a very interesting saw model, as it always was the weakest one in its "family".

I've been staring at the 272 P&C on my shelf for months now, just hoping for a little time to make my 61 interesting.

61 Evo

I may be all wet here but my take on this is the early "white" tops had open ports with a solid, full skirt round piston. The next model had open ports with "slabside" pistons for a small increase in power. The last version "orange" top had open port with windowed pistons and the aforementioned carb increase for a bit more power again. I have owned a mid model "slabside" 61 for about 18 yrs and have had no problems with it other than a couple of fuel lines/filters. Niko is somewhat correct in that the 61 doesn't create wild enthusiasm from brute power. However personally I find the saw quite interesting from the fact that it is the base model of this very popular family of saws and you can build from this inexpensive platform. As being the least powerful of these saws it can endure quite a bit of use without beating itself to death. On the other hand I spent part of this afternoon starting to port a 50MM 268XP closed port piston and cyl to replace the regular open port ported 268 cyl on the one in my sig. I also plan to change the carb to one from a 670 Super just for kicks. I will have to pick up the impluse by tapping into the isolation block. I think this will work good. I like the way the choke works on the 630 and 670 better than the Husky setup. We'll see how that all pans out.:cheers:

I may be all wet here but my take on this is the early "white" tops had open ports with a solid, full skirt round piston. The next model had open ports with "slabside" pistons for a small increase in power. The last version "orange" top had open port with windowed pistons and the aforementioned carb increase for a bit more power again.

I was wondering where the slabsides fit in. Now it all makes perfect sense.

However personally I find the saw quite interesting from the fact that it is the base model of this very popular family of saws and you can build from this inexpensive platform.

My thoughts exactly. Good luck with your build!

The P&C are in great shape on my 61, and for the 272 upgrade, I have to swap out the carb and intake.

Does anyone have a Jonsered 625 with a torched P&C they are looking to get rid of?

I was wondering where the slabsides fit in. Now it all makes perfect sense.

My thoughts exactly. Good luck with your build!

The P&C are in great shape on my 61, and for the 272 upgrade, I have to swap out the carb and intake.

Does anyone have a Jonsered 625 with a torched P&C they are looking to get rid of?

That 61 of yours is to nice to ax!!! I've always thought it was the nicest 61 I've seen!!! That GB bar doesn't hurt the looks either. I would look for a toasted 61,266 or 630 Jred. I think the 625 and 670 are external impluse. The 630 however has the internal impluse same as the Huskys. I mean if you want to use a reg Husky carb.

That 61 of yours is to nice to ax!!! I've always thought it was the nicest 61 I've seen!!! That GB bar doesn't hurt the looks either. I would look for a toasted 61,266 or 630 Jred. I think the 625 and 670 are external impluse. The 630 however has the internal impluse same as the Huskys. I mean if you want to use a reg Husky carb.

I do feel bad...and it is plenty strong...but doesn't it deserve a nice, new 272 P&C? I even have a "new in box" HS-260A I got for cheap on eBay.

Wouldn't it be happier?

Then I could put the 61 parts on a bottom end that might not be in such good shape, because I plan on doing strange things to the 272 cylinder once I get a baseline.

I do feel bad...and it is plenty strong...but doesn't it deserve a nice, new 272 P&C? I even have a "new in box" HS-260A I got for cheap on eBay.

Wouldn't it be happier?

Then I could put the 61 parts on a bottom end that might not be in such good shape, because I plan on doing strange things to the 272 cylinder once I get a baseline.

Well it's your saw and from the looks of your saws you do things right. Just kinda puts me in mind of building a chopper from a pristine dresser. Both nice but one is lost in the process. There is another way, then you could have both. Good luck I'm sure it''be well thought out and look good too which ever way you choose!!

Well it's your saw and from the looks of your saws you do things right. Just kinda puts me in mind of building a chopper from a pristine dresser. Both nice but one is lost in the process. There is another way, then you could have both. Good luck I'm sure it''be well thought out and look good too which ever way you choose!!

Argh! I think you talked me out of it...OK...time to find a 61 for parts!

Thanks for setting me straight on the Johnny equivalents!

For the record though...that'll make it that much longer before I try to talk you into selling one of those 49 sps..

Argh! I think you talked me out of it...OK...time to find a 61 for parts!

Thanks for setting me straight on the Johnny equivalents!

For the record though...that'll make it that much longer before I try to talk you into selling one of those 49 sps..

HAHAHA!!!!! Good enough!!! I have three more 49s to build to add to the six I have now!!! I just love those little guys, smooth and quiet. Just right for 12"-16" stuff and limbing. I'll keep my eye open for a good lower end in the 61/630 series and let you know if something decent comes along.:cheers:

HAHAHA!!!!! Good enough!!! I have three more 49s to build to add to the six I have now!!! I just love those little guys, smooth and quiet. Just right for 12"-16" stuff and limbing. I'll keep my eye open for a good lower end in the 61/630 series and let you know if something decent comes along.:cheers:

I appreciate the help. The whole reason for getting the 61 was to do the upgrade, but i used 61s a lot when I was firefighting, and (as you pointed out) this one is in such good shape, I hate to start swapping parts.

Thanks for talking me out of it.

I appreciate the help. The whole reason for getting the 61 was to do the upgrade, but i used 61s a lot when I was firefighting, and (as you pointed out) this one is in such good shape, I hate to start swapping parts.

Thanks for talking me out of it.

The 61 with the 268 top in my sig I picked up on ebay from ca for $75 with a scored piston. Some bonehead had it apart and put the piston in backwards but other than that it was in pretty good shape (No where near as good as yours) and everything was there. Had to replace the front handle as it looked like someone had been jousting with chainsaws and it had been cut up pretty bad by another running saw. Picked up a new aftermarket handle (ebay again $15) which is a slightly larger dia. and a bit more comfortable. It's been fun building and using this saw and my old 61 is still intact. I've owned that one for the last 18 yrs and it has cut all my firewood for home and shops (about 10-12 cord/yr felled and fit) every yr with no complaints and still carries 175 psi comp. Plus it has been used around my sawmill as needed (NOT milling!!) So I gotta say it's been (and still is) a good saw.

I am probably gonna go pick up that 61 rancher tonight after work. the guy said it had a 22" bar on it, but i'm i'll put a 16" on it and use it as my all-around firewood saw. (most of what i cut here is 14" or less cedar and pinion)
you suppose it will fit this role good?

I am probably gonna go pick up that 61 rancher tonight after work. the guy said it had a 22" bar on it, but i'm i'll put a 16" on it and use it as my all-around firewood saw. (most of what i cut here is 14" or less cedar and pinion)
you suppose it will fit this role good?

If it runs good it will do great as a firewood saw IMO. My stock 61 has a 16" bar and has done a lot of work over the yrs with little to no problems. Good luck!!

If it runs good it will do great as a firewood saw IMO. My stock 61 has a 16" bar and has done a lot of work over the yrs with little to no problems. Good luck!!

+1

It may be the weakest saw in its family, but it isn't a weak saw, and in my experience, they are dead reliable.

I just recently bought a older 61 with the white top, guy said the compression was shot, so I still ended up buying it for $25cnd, brought it home and the compression read 125psi, so I tried firing it up and three pulls with some fresh fuel and she fired up, any whoo its missing the thumb screw and spring for the chain brake(metal handle) and as well I need the two thin metal plates that go on either side of the bar. Oh and a new white top wouldn't hurt either since this one has been superglued in some places. If you've got any parts for this saw or as well a Jonsered 930 please let me know, thank you [email protected]

Latest posts

Back