Husqvarna Case Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furb

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the Husky case splitter 502 51 61-01 for my 372 project. The dealer said its a different splitter if you are using it on a 346 or any of the other small pro saws. Did anyone ever use the one for the 372 for a 346? The case gasket is leaking on the 346 but I don't want to buy both splitters.

A thick plate of steel a quarter inch or so will work. With holes drilled out for the crank and bar studs. On mine I have a slot cut in the steel that will fit just about every saw ever made. Now all you need is a two jaw puller. The point of the puller goes on the crank with the jaws pulling your steel. Its easy and works great. Oh and also a heat gun too. That is a MUST. I have done 4 saws now with mine. My stihl 041, husky 288, jonsered 2050 and a stihl 260.

A thick plate of steel a quarter inch or so will work. With holes drilled out for the crank and bar studs. On mine I have a slot cut in the steel that will fit just about every saw ever made. Now all you need is a two jaw puller. The point of the puller goes on the crank with the jaws pulling your steel. Its easy and works great. Oh and also a heat gun too. That is a MUST. I have done 4 saws now with mine. My stihl 041, husky 288, jonsered 2050 and a stihl 260.

I use the same homemade setup, works perfectly every time

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a dunce

Could someone post a photo of your home-built crankcase splitter? I've got a decent gear puller - It would be nice to not have to buy another tool I don't have a place for.

Thanks in advance.
TB

Could someone post a photo of your home-built crankcase splitter? I've got a decent gear puller - It would be nice to not have to buy another tool I don't have a place for.

Thanks in advance.
TB

Here's mine:

PICT6541.jpg

PICT6542.jpg

The other nice thing about the factory one is it leaves the bearing in the case on saws generally 60cc or over so if you are changing bearings you don't have pull them off the crank seperately...just tap them out of the case with a correct sized drift after the cases are split and the crank is out. I suppose you could just make a small u shaped plate to cover the bearing on a smaller saw to do the same thing. I have not done a 346 but have done 3-4 49sp with that same tool with no problem so I expect it would work fine just the smaller bearings fit betwen the fingers and come right out on the crank...same as the homemade ones. As nmurph these push the crank out of both case halves and pulls the bearings off the crank at the same time...turns a usuall struggle and a half into a five miniute job. Well worth the money if you plan on doing more than one....ever.....

That splitter will leave 346 bearings in the case, too.

Using that splitter and a cordless drill with a long 4mm allen wrench chucked in it, my best time to totally disasseble a 346 is just over 10 mins. That includes stopping to blow the crud off as I take it apart and bagging the components individually. Splitting the case is a 1 minute job with this tool. As Cant said, if you do more than a couple of saws, this tool is indispensible.

I have that tool too, I've kinda gone out of my way to build saws from the ground up since I have it :D
It works fantastic.

Here's how we do it......

[video=youtube;kMoHBzsWqkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMoHBzsWqkc[/video]

Pops em apart every time. :msp_sneaky:

Ahhhhh.......I get it now...like when you have it easy, it's XXX job...or "hey that was XXX!!! Like the Husky splitter.......I guess I'll stay with my splitter...I get distracted easily and usually get my fingers pinch if I'm not focused on what I'm doing...On the other hand I may have to stop by your shop on splitting day just to observe........the Master.......and the head splitter...in action...I'll stop now.......

I was not aware that there were 2 Husqvarna tools. The one I just got will not fit around the 390 crank I got it to use on... Does the bigger one work on a 390? I'm thinking I unintentionally got the smaller one. Yay, another tool I need.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3. (Using no copied Apple technology.)

I was not aware that there were 2 Husqvarna tools. The one I just got will not fit around the 390 crank I got it to use on... Does the bigger one work on a 390? I'm thinking I unintentionally got the smaller one. Yay, another tool I need.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3. (Using no copied Apple technology.)

Tim, I had to spread the jaws just a fraction to get mine to fit over 288/394 cranks. You would have to measure it carefully to notice the splay (~1/4").

Sorry I didn't mean to abandon the thread. Computer problems and posting from my phone is a pain. I ordered one yesterday and it should be here tomorrow or Monday. It looks like a nice simple tool. That said I may still have questions. I never split a case before.

Latest posts

Back