Husqvarna Flywheel Puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than a fly wheel puller.. I use a large flat handled screwdriver and wedge it behind the flywheel. loosen the flywheel nut and tap the nut with a hammer (not hard) and apply light pressure to the screwdriver and it should pop off. Thats just my way of doing it but, im a redneck, so to each his own :D

Last edited:
502 51 49-02

This may be factory set for flywheel pulling, looks like it
covers most of 2xx series Husqvarnas, 55 and a few more. Bailey's listed tool set for around $50, might check with them for models it works on.

Here is one, I believe it is a Husky puller. It has the same threads as the
Stihl puller.

attachment.php

I decided to have a tool sale today, Christmas has left me broke.......

Use either a big screwdriver behind the flywheel to give it some pre-load then loosen the flywheel nut and give it a lil tap with a hammer, or loosen the flywheel nut and grab the flywheel with a pair of pliers (holding the saws weight with the pliers) and once again a lil tap with a hammer. Both methods are much quicker than using flywheel pullers be it oem or aftermarket. The oem ones shine when pulling old crusty neglected stubborn ones.

Fishie! How goes it? I don't think that puller will work in most Huskies, as they are not threaded like the Stihls... but I sure could be forgetting a model or two. A steering wheel puller (like the generic kind you get at NAPA or Autozone) will work great provided you stop by your hardware store and pick up the metric bolts and a few heavy duty washers so the bolt heads sit up on the puller arms. They take a few minutes to install but they don't threaten the integrity of the flywheel. I usually install, tighten the assembly and give the flywheel a few taps, and POP!

It's tempting to try a jaw style puller, but you'll be hard pressed to get the clearance to get the jaws under the flywheel.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Wish I wasn't at work!

Last edited:
I have a Husky flywheel it fits, and I got the puller from a Husky dealer,
but I do not work on too many of them, other than taking them apart for
e-bay, I have a 51, it won't fit that.....

But it fits the Stihl's as well.

I've had to take flywheels off of two 3120s (different times) to replace with the higher rev limited setup.

The first time Lakeside and I did it with the husky puller. Puller was a piece of junk and bent very easily. We did get it off with heat and shimming the bolts so they didn't bend so much.

For the second 3120 later, I called the Baileys mechanic and he said they do the wack method. I thought no way, and put it off a bit.

The next time I was at Mdsns I asked the head tech there (who I have known for a while and think highly off) if he would mind taking my 3120 flywheel off. Thinking he would use a puller of something.

So I laid the saw (already taken apart) on the counter for him to take the flywheel off. He said "you might not want to look" and quickly popped the flywheel of using the wack method.

He said he'd wacked off many hundreds over the years with no problems (and didn't charge me) so I just went with it.

Seems to me that its a fairly one sided debate with the "whack" method.. guess im not the only one who does things outside of the box :D

I know it must work, but I just hate to hit anything on a saw with a hammer.

yeah it kinda makes you cringe a little bit but.. once you do it.. the 2nd and 3rd time it gets a little easier... what works even better.. find a diff nut to put on so you dont flatten out the one for the flywheel when you hit it ( sometimes they need a little more persuasion than a small whack).

yeah it kinda makes you cringe a little bit but.. once you do it.. the 2nd and 3rd time it gets a little easier... what works even better.. find a diff nut to put on so you dont flatten out the one for the flywheel when you hit it ( sometimes they need a little more persuasion than a small whack).

Luckily the Stihl Flywheel nut fits many other brands, and I use that with a
deep well socket, works like a charm.

I have never ever been tempted to use heat........

I have whacked & pried off Poulan flwheels

I have an auto part h-bar puller like mentioned by Cantdog, looks like it
would work with right bolts & washers. The puller Fish pictured looks
like part of a factory tool, but there is a slotted disk part too, for screws
to go through.

Back