Husqvarna flywheel removal misery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckwood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is the third time I've done this procedure, and each time I've had terrible problems. Why are these things so difficult to remove. With Stihls it's very easy to do with an inexpensive tool, my last Stihl flywheel took only a few minutes on an 026. I've got this L77 suspended in the air by the flywheel, I've soaked it for a day with PB Blaster, I've heated the wheel with a propane torch, and I'm using a "knocker" made from another nut same size as the flywheel nut and welded onto a deep well socket. I've been pounding on this thing and nothing happens. This afternoon I ruined the threads on the nut on the end of my knocker tool and I'm now welding up another one. Out of desperation, I've also been using an air hammer on the end of the flywheel. The air hammer bit is shaped so it goes into the big dimple on the end of the crank, so it can't do any thread damage. I'm very wary of hitting this thing too hard with the hammer for fear of destroying the crank or the case. I'm just about ready to give up and take it to a shop. I could maybe build a puller for the flywheel that attaches to the small threaded holes that take the bolts used to attach the pawl mechanisms. But those threaded holes are very small, it seems to me all I will accomplish there is to strip them out, the flywheel isn't made of very stout metal. This is one job with chainsaws that I really hate. I must take the flywheel off to replace the crank seal.

Untitled-1.jpg

I uaually put the crank nut on so its flush with the end and give a couple good crack with a brass hammer. (Susspending lime you are or lightly prying with screw driver

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Not familiar with this model, is that round plate part of the saw, or some "puller" that you have contrived?

I would guess otherwise, that the metal round may be threaded on too.

Wow. Iv never seen a flywheel split in two before.

Those stihl pullers for most stihl pro saws are the best, aren't they? But... as mentioned above, put the nut back on to protect the threads, get something wedged behind it and gently pry up. Then, give it a whack (brass or even poly hammer). Get someone to help if ya can.
Ive also used a punch right on the crank, but I don't recommend that lol.

Yup, put the nut back on, and give it a tap or two with a brass hammer.

I've given it a *lot* of taps, some pretty hard ones. I've even taken a small air hammer to it. Perhaps I'm too nervous about hitting it really hard. The crankcase is made out of magnesium, not a very strong metal, so I'm concerned about busting the crankcase from hitting it too hard. This saw is old but has seen little use, there's not much signs of wear on it. It was probably built in the mid 70's to early 80's. That wheel has been on the crank for a long time......

Have you tried putting a small prybar or flat screwdrive uder fly wheel and prying up and giving it a crack.
Dont be afraid to hit it hard. You wont hurt it.

Make the puller like you said heat it then whack it hard with brass hammer. The threads prob will get a Little messed up but you can use a metric thread file to fix them. Good luck we had a dirt bike once like that and none of the local shops or mechanics could get it off. I had to heat the **** out of it and beat it up like a truck front end. Sounds brutal but there was no other way.

A steering wheel puller with long metric screws and an assortment of washers and nuts would work good on this flywheel. I believe the holes in the body of the flywheel are 5mm, so find some long 5mm screws and adapt them to work with a steering wheel puller. I use old Stihl bar nuts and washers to brace the long screws in the body of the puller.

Did this happen because there was a crack in the flywheel, a defect, or did the nut holding the flywheel come off and allowed the wheel itself to launch?

All I know for sure is the chain flew off about half a second before all heck broke loose. I'm guessing the chain bound up somehow and stopped the engine instantly and the flywheel couldn't take the sudden stop. The bad part is I had just started it after going through the whole saw.

Last Saturday I helped my brother take the flywheel off is 2 stroke Polaris ATV. We finally got it off by completely wailing on it with a four pound hammer. Sometimes they come easy and sometimes it takes way more force than you think it should.

Back