Husqvarna Sticky!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 357xp can noodle with the big boys..
847ef33d98cd98823e203b5615982436.jpg

All -

I was so excited about my new Husky MS90A purchase that I wanted to post it in the Husky sticky thread. And then I realized that we don't have one?!?!? So here you go!

And back on topic - what better saw to start off the Husky thread than with an MS90A, which I believe is Husky's first commercially produced chainsaw. This beauty is en route to me from the Mother Land (Sweden), and it's my first Husky, too.

Ok, who's up next?

Scott

Have another MS90A on the way from the motherland. Lousy pictures, but it looks like serial number of 605.

Also have a deal pending on a parts saw, also MS90A.

I'm not really a Husky collector, but having a hard time passing these up.

253870027_e65ac134-bcbf-4bd5-96b7-91ad1b285bff.jpg 253870027_a06c0aab-1e33-489a-9a8e-8940439488b0-1.jpg

They made some good dirt bikes. Bultacos and Maico's as well back in the '60's, A friend had a BSA 441 Victor. You really had to watch the kickback on those.
I had a bultaco matador 250. Call it THE BEAST!

These are what I got. 66 and a 36. The 66 has a new piston and ring. You have to stand on it to start it or it will come off the ground. I got $30 dollars invested in both. Now is the 36 a good saw?

Attachments

• 0724171329.jpg
    0724171329.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 31
I got $30 dollars invested in both. Now is the 36 a good saw?

On my haul I got a 41 which is a 40cc version of your 36cc saw.
The performance may be like a poulan 2150 except it is an antivibe chassis and it had the "air injection" which the centrifugal dust seperator on the flywheel/ induction system. The 41 chain was 325 or 3/8lp and acres site says the 36 is 3/8lp only ( may not be correct?)

Interesting tidbit, the flywheel is a 3 segment magnet...why? Still looking into this. magnetic sequence is S-N-S
14290-1503942912-6053246cdd9130ff49dcb8d36766d8c5.jpg

On my haul I got a 41 which is a 40cc version of your 36cc saw.
The performance may be like a poulan 2150 except it is an antivibe chassis and it had the "air injection" which the centrifugal dust seperator on the flywheel/ induction system. The 41 chain was 325 or 3/8lp and acres site says the 36 is 3/8lp only ( may not be correct?) I'd like to find another 66.

Interesting tidbit, the flywheel is a 3 segment magnet...why? Still looking into this. magnetic sequence is S-N-S
14290-1503942912-6053246cdd9130ff49dcb8d36766d8c5.jpg

I picked this up over the weekend. Not too sure what it is, I suspect its a 280 or 380 or 180, but don't know how to tell. It has a magnesium starter housing, and a push button kill switch. Castings look to be in great shape, but its going to need to be stripped and re painted I think. Can anyone tell me what size the crank seals and bearings are so that I can get them on order?

20170910_165611.jpg

Nice saw, pretty swift turnaround too..

Thanks, Yeah, I did manage to turn this one around fast. Didn't need much fortunately. Seals haven't arrived yet so its still not done.

I find that it takes around 8 to 12 hours of continuous work to get the whole saw taken apart, cleaned and degreased, sand blasted, masked and primed. Then wait a day or so and spray the color. So really its just one long day on the weekend and a few hours to spray the orange. Luckily I don't have any other obligations in life yet.

Re-assembly doesn't take long once all the parts are clean. I think I had the bottom end buttoned up in 30 minutes, and the rest together in another 2 hours or so? lots of double checking I haven't missed anything.

I have a question about the hole in the case above and to the right of the fuel filler cap. What is supposed to go in there? A rubber buffer was my guess, but the IPL is super dark and blurry so I can't even tell what it looks like. Does anyone have a photo of what its supposed to be?

Thanks, Yeah, I did manage to turn this one around fast. Didn't need much fortunately. Seals haven't arrived yet so its still not done.

I find that it takes around 8 to 12 hours of continuous work to get the whole saw taken apart, cleaned and degreased, sand blasted, masked and primed. Then wait a day or so and spray the color. So really its just one long day on the weekend and a few hours to spray the orange. Luckily I don't have any other obligations in life yet.

Re-assembly doesn't take long once all the parts are clean. I think I had the bottom end buttoned up in 30 minutes, and the rest together in another 2 hours or so? lots of double checking I haven't missed anything.

I have a question about the hole in the case above and to the right of the fuel filler cap. What is supposed to go in there? A rubber buffer was my guess, but the IPL is super dark and blurry so I can't even tell what it looks like. Does anyone have a photo of what its supposed to be?

Not a clue about the hole. I thought it married up with the other side and was a slot for a crankcase bolt or something..

I also find it pretty easy to turn a saw around. May main issue is getting parts and the money. Here is my 038 mag. I have used AM recoil, tank and covers till I can find the original ones on the web. I know it's not a husky.. IMG_0167.JPGIMG_0170.JPG

Still waiting on the seals, but cleaned the bar up last night. I also need some bar plates. Does anyone know if bar plates from a 61 or other husky would work?

20170927_181757.jpg

The chain that came on this saw was pretty much shot, sharp, but with barely any tooth left.

Also was playing around with the oil pump gear on my 50, I think this is the correct position for it on the crank.

20170927_181807.jpg

Can anyone explain to me exactly how the oil pump works? its a shaft that has a flat cut on the end of it that turns around and moves in and out of the casing, similar to stihls I think.

Also was playing around with the oil pump gear on my 50, I think this is the correct position for it on the crank.

View attachment 604262

Can anyone explain to me exactly how the oil pump works? its a shaft that has a flat cut on the end of it that turns around and moves in and out of the casing, similar to stihls I think.
Models vary but the concept is the same, small rotating piston (#9) turned by the worm gear fed from crank or sprocket drum. Adjustment of the piston in or out gives a higher or lower capacity in the pump bore.

Variations also include slanted piston end or cut out end (as seen in this diagram)

Helical gear #5 works with worm gears #3 to turn motion 90 degrees.

upload_2017-9-28_16-10-24.png

Thanks for the diagram, Im more interested in what the piston should be doing (moving in or out) when the flat part of the shaft rotates past the pick up, vs past the passage to the bar pad. It seemed that the aftermarket oiler I got was just pressurizing the oil tank instead of pumping oil.

Latest posts

Back