husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jester,

It all depends upon the type and size of wood you intend to mill. At present I have a 59cc saw mounted on my csm, but I only use my csm on softwoods (cedar,pine,spruce mainly) and most are 16-18" in diameter, and it works fine. I have bigger saws but don't need them in my application and prefer to leave them set up as felling saws.
I find myself using my csm more and more these days getting timber ready for my bsm.

would a husqvarna 365 work as a good mill saw ?

For milling big logs I wouldn't use a 64cc saw. I use my 365 Special for my mini mill and it works great with a 20-24" bars.

365Special with a 20" bar on a mini-mill. works great.
attachment.php

365S cutting some really gnarly/spalted wood with ease.
attachment.php

Closeup picture in action.
attachment.php

jerry-

would a husqvarna 365 work as a good mill saw ?
Hello guys from New Zealand, love your work people. I have a Husqvarna 36, beautiful saw. The problem i'm having is when its hot, I find that the kill switch doesnt always work and I was wondering if its possibly due to a faulty switch, or could it be the ignition coil/module causing it not to stop? It certainly runs well all the time, its only when its hot, it wont die by kill switch. Look forward to your answer. Many thanks, Phil

The problem i'm having is when its hot, I find that the kill switch doesnt always work

This is called "dieseling" (also known as "detonation" and/or "pre-ignition"), and caused by excessive heat. See here. To say the least, its not good. I've experienced it with my 35cc saw after small rip cuts. Essentially, the engine gets so hot that it ignites the gas even with the electric cut off to the spark plug. It means you are running the saw much too hot, and can cause long term damage.

To avoid this, first, stop working it so hard since you seem to be pushing it to its limit. Next, let the saw rest during a long cut, as in, just let it idle mid-cut with the internal fan allowing it to cool itself. Maybe a minute and a half or so of rest for every minute of hard milling (give or take).

Then, do not try to shut it down immediately after finishing the cut. Again, just let it cool off at idle for a couple minutes. Don't just turn it off thinking it'll cool down, because it'll actually get hotter if switched off immediately after and/or during a long cut. And for that matter, don't allow yourself to run out of gas during a cut either.

Also, be sure to use gasoline with a decent octane (above 88 or 89) as octane is what helps prevent this (contrary to popular belief, octane does not give more power, it just burns at a hotter temp).

Further, make sure you have your oiler turned up well enough for the chain. A lack of chain oil causes friction and heat. Also, in some saws, the oil tank is up against the engine, acting as a coolant, so don't run it low on oil either.

And be sure to run the saw rich in the carb. A lean running saw is not what you want for milling or hot temps.

Good luck!

Back