Huztl / Farmertec 036? Another Kit Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Video One Bottom End & Top End...

Video Two, I'm NOT a Stihl Mechanic! I muddled my way through the assembly of the rest....so this is the FIRST try.....Next time there will be a few "improvements", including putting the pulse line on the case side first, and ignition in before the carb, etc...you will see why. Need a better stratagy for re-assembly of the handle/throttle & throttle rod.

ALSO parts that were "less than good" included the Bar Oil pump and the Chain Brake Spring. Not thrilled with the chain brake band missing its "pin" and a few other details. Swapped some supplied screws for OEM, don't yet know about the chain adjuster......a Tweak & Tune video soon to follow with setup, tuning, and some reflections on what I would do different on the next one, an OEM re-build. (Including spark plug gap etc.) Along with some run time...weather allowing.

Mean time all information to those who really know these, I'm certain those who want to build one of these will be interested. I plan to "resurrect" an OEM Stihl 036, one of the early ones. Really looking forward to how a true OEM saw will be. Trying to decide on the break down of parts. It's seized. So New or used OEM top end? Piston, bearings etc. Will make that a "Dead Saw Salvage video......these are ALL new to me! Never spent much time with the Stihl's. Those MS660's have me wanting to go back a little and visit the Originals...So...hunting for old MS660's & 064/66 class projects for later in the year. What a great saw they were!

Nice work Weimedog!!!

What are your thoughts on the Hutzl 036 vs the Husky 61, 268, and 272's?

You may regret using the supplied muffler 'gaskets'.
723ab5cf68aa8878bc30e0f2b23ab379.jpg

I had one burn out in ten minutes of run time.

Like the supplied decomp valve failure. Not ever going there again.

You may regret using the supplied muffler 'gaskets'.
723ab5cf68aa8878bc30e0f2b23ab379.jpg

I had one burn out in ten minutes of run time.

Like the supplied decomp valve failure. Not ever going there again.

All part of the experiment, right? Doesn't matter what fails, just that I can document and help find solutions...
To clarify, don't know if I itemized or not, but plan to in a subsequent video:
1) Used a plug, no decomp.
2) No base gasket used, only 1184
3) The case did't have a fitting for the pulse line. Definitive Dave had those in Stock so I got some...might want to get one in advance
4) Bar Oil Pump was bad, DD had those as well so the one on the saw came from him.
5) The chain Brake band didn't have that little "cross" pin so I made one.
6) I substituted some OEM handle screws in for those goofy ones that came in the kit to attach the handle to the antivib mounts.

AND if and when things fail I will report back...when things work well...a video may appear...hoping you folks add to the knowledge base..:)

On the muffler gaskets supplied with my 361 'kit'.
The Stihl IPL only shows one between the muffler and the cooling baffle.

Farmertec supplied two so I put one on each side of the air baffle. The one on the muffler side burned almost completely away while the other remained intact.

Also the supplied air baffle, was it aluminum? Or Steel?

On the muffler gaskets supplied with my 361 'kit'.
The Stihl IPL only shows one between the muffler and the cooling baffle.

Farmertec supplied two so I put one on each side of the air baffle. The one on the muffler side burned almost completely away while the other remained intact.

Also the supplied air baffle, was it aluminum? Or Steel?
Steel...pretty light though as compared to OEM...ebay's one of those too.

You have convinced me to get one next order from huztl, last order included a bunch of honda recoils, tanks, carbs, a couple piston/cyl kits lots of stihl screws and a 660 kit all for right at $400 delivered in just over a week. how can you go wrong with this stuff?

Do all you guys work at Walmart? There is better stuff out there I've seen it.
No, nobody works for wallyworld, and yes, there is better stuff out there, but that's besides the point. I see it as a way to experiment (cheaply) with porting and timing ect. I could not get a saw that better fit my needs than these kit saws, and at the same time, I completely see how these kit's don't work for everyone.

No, nobody works for wallyworld, and yes, there is better stuff out there, but that's besides the point. I see it as a way to experiment (cheaply) with porting and timing ect. I could not get a saw that better fit my needs than these kit saws, and at the same time, I completely see how these kit's don't work for everyone.
Hey it's your money. Personally I rather wash mine in the dish washer it will kinda resemble money when it's done and it will be usable once or twice but once it gets to a bank it will get tossed out.

Hey it's your money. Personally I rather wash mine in the dish washer it will kinda resemble money when it's done and it will be usable once or twice but once it gets to a bank it will get tossed out.
*sorry about changing thread topic* Ok, I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from here. What's so bad about these clones? Didn't Stihl just buy a Zama factory in china to produce carbs for their saws? I believe these saws are indeed a viable option, especially when Stihl is moving parts production. Mine has run infinitely better than some other off-brand power equipment.

*sorry about changing thread topic* Ok, I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from here. What's so bad about these clones? Didn't Stihl just buy a Zama factory in china to produce carbs for their saws? I believe these saws are indeed a viable option, especially when Stihl is moving parts production. Mine has run infinitely better than some other off-brand power equipment.
Most decisions are a 50/50 mix of logic and emotion..:) Can't win a discussion with a person when the "logic" side has a limited access to data, sometimes because of the emotional side....a vicious circle...:) So are decisions really 50/50?? This quickly devolves into Politics..then Religion (Is there a difference??)...uggg. So along those lines... I prefer "new" Husqarna's to Stihl's because of corporate culture. but really appreciate saws like the 660's. Would take a book to explain. AND I really enjoy my Chinese saws because they have allowed me to have a lot of "me" in each one. And everyone of those saw builds is an individual. Plus they are "underdogs" in the saw community and I like to leverage that into fun. I've had more just raw fun building and tinkering with the Huztl/Farmertec saws than I've had in a very long time. Partly allowed because of the low entry price therefor risk....but that's just what opens the door. Moving back to "dead saw salvages" now with a focus on older and supposed obsolete saws of all brands....and there may be a requirement from time to time to use AM parts there. Bottom line? In my world there is a mix of reasoning around saws as tools to get timber and firewood mixed with saws as a source of fun, a hobby. And that has led me to having this eclectic mix of current model Husqvarnas (Some times DSS saws) and Huztl/Farmertec saws on the truck but even more importantly I enjoy them all and being out in the woods is even more rewarding when running saws you have built from scratch. And there has been a subtle shift in my reaction to the Husky/Stihl/ brand pride thing because of the education resulting from the Huztl/Farmertec experience. Anymore I couldn't care less what folks think of or say about my saws and my choices.. whether they are fast or slow, pretty or not, how much and who's bling it attracted, where they sit on some spec sheet comparison. where they come from etc.. simply none of that or any related thought processes even enter my mind anymore. Simply doesn't matter, probably never really did. There is a freedom in that.....I can tell you with out question for some, the first Huztl will be their last and for many others its the opening of "Pandora's Box".

that ms440 i built from FT/hutzl parts is still going strong-- after 4 years of hacking along.

the 372 that i built later is running 50 to one mix and it seems to be doing well--

to say china parts are junk really just means you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

i'll just about guarantee any new saw - even if they claim to be from germany has some china parts--

and guess what? stihls factory in china churns out parts every day-- guess where they end up??

The low cost was the initial draw for me anyway and I have got to have at lest a dozen projects going at any one time to keep idle hands from the devil, huztl stuff has now become more than a toy but a tool for a hobbyist. I only take my genuine stihl or makita when climbing up the mountain deep in the forest when I need to get firewood.

The low cost was the initial draw for me anyway and I have got to have at lest a dozen projects going at any one time to keep idle hands from the devil, huztl stuff has now become more than a toy but a tool for a hobbyist. I only take my genuine stihl or makita when climbing up the mountain deep in the forest when I need to get firewood.

Great post...I have this vision of a guy "climbing" with ropes, a back pack and saw hung off the back... LOL! Problem with that is if only one saw can be carried in, its got to be a stick or two of wood coming out! ME I have a farm tractor dragging a gutted **** spreader with 3 or 4 saws going in and about 6 or 7 yards of wood coming out OR a few on the drawbar being skidded out. Rarely have less than three saws....:) AND always at least ONE project saw, a real saw, and the insurance policy; usually an all OEM Husqvarna 372 or 562 variant. Funny thing is my best bud calls all my OEM saws "shelf queens" as they have almost no time on them this past 5-6 years. About the only run time is when I get the ready for the cutting season and then when I winterize them.....old Jonsered's 920's and Huztl's have done the bulk of the work now for the last three years. A virtually new 2172 and 372XPW build are clean as a new saw would be .. just dings from riding around..

Most of the hills on my property are much too steep for the tractor. Sometimes I can get the tree to slide down on it's own, ropes, cables, snatchblocks and cumalongs

Back