Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3690b66bb9e31d540b8d6d4aad7bd25d.jpg

What do you call this Scaley surface. If I scratch it with my fingernail I get like a white powdery residue and the surface feels smoother after I scratch it. ? That's not porosity is it. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3690b66bb9e31d540b8d6d4aad7bd25d.jpg

What do you call this Scaley surface. If I scratch it with my fingernail I get like a white powdery residue and the surface feels smoother after I scratch it. ? That's not porosity is it. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it may be magnesium corrosion. I have seen it on all the huztl cases except the 660 kits for some reason. I wipe it off with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.

Hi. I read this post from start to finish and watched all the YouTube vids I could find, then I ordered this kit and built it. It was missing a throttle rod, fuel cap, buffer plug, and cylinder gasket but I had those bits as spares till they turn up so no worries. It went together really well and thanks to this thread I avoided the common problems, thanks for that......but......... I didn't put in the compression release, it seemed really leaky, and without it the compression is really strong.....The saw started on the fifth pull. Really really strong and the throttle response is eye watering. Cut some chips. Had tea......first pull broke the pull start pulley...... has anyone else had that happen? I've ordered three more but do I just put in a genuine Stihl part?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Hi. I read this post from start to finish and watched all the YouTube vids I could find, then I ordered this kit and built it. It was missing a throttle rod, fuel cap, buffer plug, and cylinder gasket but I had those bits as spares till they turn up so no worries. It went together really well and thanks to this thread I avoided the common problems, thanks for that......but......... I didn't put in the compression release, it seemed really leaky, and without it the compression is really strong.....The saw started on the fifth pull. Really really strong and the throttle response is eye watering. Cut some chips. Had tea......first pull broke the pull start pulley...... has anyone else had that happen? I've ordered three more but do I just put in a genuine Stihl part?

Also should have said that it's built with the 52 mm big bore. And the quality of the cylinder and piston were very very good.

......first pull broke the pull start pulley...... has anyone else had that happen? I've ordered three more but do I just put in a genuine Stihl part?

I've broken enough "chilastostart handles" to reach mainland China, but no starter pulleys. I'd just replace it with aftermarket and rock.
20170323_201029.jpg

I have seen one starter rotor fail, not mine. It was from drop starting a hoss 660

I can live with a random failure, and I'm going to put the saw through it's paces close to home for a while and work out the kinks. Pretty happy with the quality actually,..soo much better than the Chinese chainsaw of awesomeness that I bought for fun from a local importer,it has pieces drop off it when you walk past. And farmertec are fixing the issues,I can see from my parts,I had less issues than many people. It isn't a Stihl but it's got all the signs of being a good fun firewood saw.

Hi there. May I ask why you chose the MS440 kit over the 660 Kit? Do you have experience with other Farmertech saws?
Hi. No experience with the kits but I have ordered carbs and ignition units and found them good. No real reason for going for an ms440. It was a bit of an eni meni myni mo. Should I try an ms660? I'm hoping they come out with a BIG Husqvana copy. Love the noise they make.
I really just wanted to see what they were like. Same reason I bought the chainsaw of awesomeness( a bad bad bad yellow copy of something bad but it looked cool) but a totally different result cause the farmertec saw seems pretty good

Why stop at one? I didn't - I got them both for less than the cost of one real one.

My impressions? The 044 copy would be quite a bit more nimble to use in the field, but the 066 copy is just cool to run.

Hi there. May I ask why you chose the MS440 kit over the 660 Kit? Do you have experience with other Farmertech saws?

Hi. No experience with the kits but I have ordered carbs and ignition units and found them good. No real reason for going for an ms440. It was a bit of an eni meni myni mo. Should I try an ms660? I'm hoping they come out with a BIG Husqvana copy. Love the noise they make.
I really just wanted to see what they were like. Same reason I bought the chainsaw of awesomeness( a bad bad bad yellow copy of something bad but it looked cool) but a totally different result cause the farmertec saw seems pretty good

I am hoping for a large Husq in the Huztl lineup sometime soon too! I think the first one I try will indeed be the ms660 kit.

Side note, isn't the INTERNET amazing... Look on google maps how far away we are from each other communicating seamlessly.

So far the best deal is the 660 kit. You are hard pressed to buy a used ms660 for double the price. It is also the highest quality kit and I have had the least amount of issues with.
The 380 kit is probably equal quality but you can get used 038 for about the same money.

It's a small world now thanks to the net. And it's great to be able to share ideas and experience from a distance. It's a bit limited here in nz thanks to the distances and freight but it's getting better.

So far the best deal is the 660 kit. You are hard pressed to buy a used ms660 for double the price. It is also the highest quality kit and I have had the least amount of issues with.
The 380 kit is probably equal quality but you can get used 038 for about the same money.
Now if only I had known that.....oh well I'd better order a 660...

Did you build a big bore 660? Is that the way I should go?

The first one I built with a Huztl 56mm without a base gasket. The squish was 23 mils and the compression is over 180psi. It needs a kick-starter. There is no way I can turn it over without the decomp. I think all the 56mm have some freeport under the cylinder in the exhaust port. My huztl 56mm had about 12 mils of freeport. I bought a Vostore 56mm and it had 95 mils of freeport. I think this is unacceptable and would result in loss of performance. I might install it just to find out.

Anyways...my 56mm with 23 mils of squish is noticeably stronger than a standard 54mm kit.

I haven't measured the compression of the 52mm 440 yet but it feels really high and I may have to fit a decomp as well.I built it without a base gasket, mostly because there wasn't one in the kit, and the squish was 25 ish. I can't get over the throttle response it's like a race car

It does vibrate quite a lot at just off idle though, I'm told that might get better, what is the big bore 660 like with vibration?

Back