Huztl MS660 is on the way...now for the mid size saw order...which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Huztl carries the following kit saw series...they throw in some other model numbers in each series but, you get the idea:
MS360 $136
MS361 $136
MS380 $169
MS440 $194
372 $158

Pros and cons on which one to order? Place your vote and please give reasons for your choice and why to shy away from the others if you have experience with Huztl kits. My likes would be good power to weight mid duty capabilities since I have a PP S25 and MS290 for yard/orchard/fence row work and small firewood size tasks. Might even use it for occasional smaller log milling if the 660 acts up...say 10"- 15". The 372 looks interesting if the kits are similar to factory specs as it is the lightest 5+ hp saw on the list....just happens to be the least expensive too but not enough to break the bank if another model has significant advantages.

You can't go mixing orange saws with creamsicles so that's out. And as a wise man once said, "if you're gonna lug a 60cc saw into the wood pile it may as well be a 70cc", so my vote would be for a 440 and hold out for a 200T for the wife/kids/dog, when they get released.

I was kind of leaning either 372 or 440 since I already have a 57cc saw that will spawn a 64cc saw when it's compression goes or I get bored with it. (390 C/P ready to go). But that 390 will be at best 4.5 hp and lots of plastic. I am curious if the Huztl kits weight the same as OEM... 440=13.6 lb 372=14.1 lb. Has anyone weighed a Hutzl powerhead on a good scale?

You can't go mixing orange saws with creamsicles so that's out. And as a wise man once said, "if you're gonna lug a 60cc saw into the wood pile it may as well be a 70cc", so my vote would be for a 440 and hold out for a 200T for the wife/kids/dog, when they get released.
I've been using a like new 16" Poulan Pro S25AV that's a little all metal screaming demon with 3/8LP. Been so happy with it that I can't see going to a high dollar top handle for occasional yard/fence work. And yes it's the loaner if the kids (both grown) want to borrow dad's saw...bumper chain gets reinstalled!

step back and look at what size of tree you cut most. to me you not gaining much from a 390 kit to a 360 other then weight and anti vibe power should be close
To me walk around clean up's fences orchard work 50cc works and handles well. jump to 70cc anything past 12" get's cut up a lot faster past 30" wood 660
There is no reason to change what you got it will all cut fine. but cad kicks in and you want a better saw plan.

Hello Husky362, Welcome to the discussion. Looking for pros and cons on the Huztl/Farmertec options of which I will pick one. Saws can then be added to the list....too many horses, too many fishing poles, too many motorcycles...lol Do you have any experience with the Huztl kit saws? Leaning toward the 660 or 372 of which both could serve in light milling saw duty that would be a bit arduous on a 290/390 class plastic saw. They would also be great feller buckers for the huge oaks on my place and easier on the back when it's acting up than the 660. The last oak felled was one of the smaller ones at 32" after trimming the flare.

I don't have any hutzl saws from what I see and hear.. They seem to be holding up with a few parts issues ..There are a few guys on here that build them so they work
some are in loggers hands.. can you get by with one yes.. will you have issues never know till you get it.... would I but one Try it Good Price yes

From my view its a way a guy on a budget can have a bigger saw... I also say its a gamble you could get a good or bad running one...

You are building it so parts come into play...

I took a oem husky bottom and put a aftermarket 372bb kit on that I ported with mm... cheap 372 in 2007 that saw probably has 400 hours on it

That saw runs a 20, 24 and a 32" bar with skip on a 70cc saw...It will do a lot its rated 28" bar.. Most stuff I cut is storm damage or dead

We had a ice storm I probably cut 40 tree trunks on the ground over 4' with the 32" bar .. keep a sharp skip chain on take it easy it did it fine... would I use it every day no
Cutting Big Stuff up in the air gets dangerous in many ways...... drop bounce roll flop.... Knock You Down Your not Pushing them Off You

For me a 50cc and a 70cc saw will do 90 percent of the cutting I could ever want to do up to 4' is pushing it..... if its that big I don't need to mess with it
if You cut big stuff more that a few trees a year bigger saw is the way to go.. I'm not against more power match the saw to the job
Add a tractor or bucket loader and you can change everything and do much more

Thanks for the background info on the 400 hr top end...reassuring. Yes, many reports of no major issues with rare reports of chrome/nikasil flaking, brake linkage crappy, comp release sucks, ports with flashing, etc. I have farmertec top ends on the shelf for all but the poulans. Again this is as much a hobby as it is a git'er dun decision. I have, vert mill, 16" lathe, tractors 35 to 160 hp, 16 ton dozer, too much crap to list so backup for big jobs is not an issue. My story is more like: Strikes, blowdowns, widowmakers and dead cow maker's get taken down, maybe slabbed, firewood donated to needy. Being in tornado alley with rocky shallow soil in many areas, we can have dozens of huge oaks downed in a few minutes. But, I don't expect to slab more that two or three trees a year. That is, until the neighbors find out I have a slabber, lol. If any saw breaks down, there will be backups, maybe a little less capable but something to get the tree off the fence or out of the elder neighbor lady's driveway.

Sounds like you have a good idea on what you need... Another thing to consider if you stay with one brand the bars and chains will swap out
A 660 and 440 would be my get it done plan if I was in a place that gets dozens of big trees down..
Put a 20 24 on 440 it will cut fast a 28 if needed....... You can put same bars on 660 plus a 36 if needed.. Your covered both ways
Throw hobby in there and any saw that runs is fair game

Is your 290 a 325 or 3/8 pitch can be had in both...... It will need 3/8 to keep all the same but not a must use what ya got

i would go ms361-- you can't really miss with any of these IMHO-- if you want a little more HP go with the 440/372 or less weight go with the 361-- no "losers' in these three--

i'm trying to buy a wrecked echo 620P it that falls through i may just order the 361 kit myself--

Is your 290 a 325 or 3/8 pitch can be had in both...... It will need 3/8 to keep all the same but not a must use what ya got
It can switch to either with a rim change and 1 rivet on the nose. I keep several 325 and 3/8 tips on the shelf...currently a 325. I picked up a near full 100' roll of carlton chisel K3L for $59 delivered so it will likely stay 325 for a while.

i would go ms361-- you can't really miss with any of these IMHO-- if you want a little more HP go with the 440/372 or less weight go with the 361-- no "losers' in these three--i'm trying to buy a wrecked echo 620P it that falls through i may just order the 361 kit myself--
My favorite motorcycle can do 110 mph in 1st gear...might give you an idea which way I'm leaning. :yes:

i would go ms361-- you can't really miss with any of these IMHO-- if you want a little more HP go with the 440/372 or less weight go with the 361-- no "losers' in these three--

i'm trying to buy a wrecked echo 620P it that falls through i may just order the 361 kit myself--
can't go wrong at $136+s on the 361 kit. They have 361 case/cyl/pist/crank on sale now for $57+s ...if you can find a parts saw needing resurrection, you'll have a 361 about as cheap as possible.

arbor tec also sells kits -- i think they are the same folks as machine dr on flea bay-- thats where i got my 372XP parts a couple years ago-- they got kits too -- some a bit less on the shipping that FT/hudzl--

arbor tec also sells kits -- i think they are the same folks as machine dr on flea bay-- thats where i got my 372XP parts a couple years ago-- they got kits too -- some a bit less on the shipping that FT/hudzl--
I've decided most of his stuff's markup is too spicy for my taste vs Huztl and be careful of what you consider a kit vs the near complete farmertec kits through Huztl....inventory every thing that is included with diligence.

Latest posts

Back